shape
carat
color
clarity

Looking for a big tsavorite

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm looking for a big tsavorite. I like pretty medium in terms of tone, to medium-dark. Don't like anything as dark as what they call "chrome green." I'd like at least 3 cts. Any shape is fine. Budget is $10k, but I'd be quite happy spending less.

I'm in NYC next week so I've emailed Prima and hopefully I'll be able to visit them and see what they have. I wanted to see if pricescopers could turn up any other options. I know people these days shop on instagram and social media sites, which is just too frustrating to me to follow, so if you've seen anything on those, it's safe to say I haven't seen it.

This 4 ct is the current benchmark and is 8.6mm square:
Screen Shot 2019-07-25 at 12.45.00 AM.png

This tsavorite I already have is my favorite color for them, but just 6mm and I'm looking for something a biiiiit bigger:
img_1705.jpg
tsavosqcush2c.jpg
It looked kind of bluish in the vendor photos but irl I think it pulls a bit more yellow, without being yellowy.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Prima is a really good source, and I would call your benchmark a medium tone with a pure green hue. I don’t see much blue or yellow standing out as a secondary. That could change of course depending on the lighting. Very slightly bluish green stones are more desirable, but they are getting harder and harder to come by. You do need to be careful they’re not too grayish.

I’m not a fan of dark greens in tsavorite either, so I’m glad you’re picking out a lighter, more lively gem.

budmanbudman10

Rough_Rock
The Instagram vendor "srilankansapphires" has huge tsavorites quite regularly - in case you wanted to reach out to him. I bought my favourite Ceylon color change spinel from him and had a great experience :)

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Prima is a really good source, and I would call your benchmark a medium tone with a pure green hue. I don’t see much blue or yellow standing out as a secondary. That could change of course depending on the lighting. Very slightly bluish green stones are more desirable, but they are getting harder and harder to come by. You do need to be careful they’re not too grayish.

I’m not a fan of dark greens in tsavorite either, so I’m glad you’re picking out a lighter, more lively gem.

It seems like the darker greens are oftten priced higher, which blows my mind because they black out so much. I'd rather a dollop of pure green GREEN on my hand, you know?

I do like the bluish modifiers but I'm fine without them. I need them more in the mint colors than I do in stones like this.

Maybe I should start a new thread for this - but anyone seen any good paraibas lately? I am seeing a 2 ct Yvonne has next week in addition to the tsavorites... I am quite afraid I'll like it most and blow my entire bling budget on it!

The Instagram vendor "srilankansapphires" has huge tsavorites quite regularly - in case you wanted to reach out to him. I bought my favourite Ceylon color change spinel from him and had a great experience :)

I'll check them out! I'm so confused by instagram vendors and having to message for prices. How did the price compare to elsewhere?

budmanbudman10

Rough_Rock
The price was higher than I originally expected - but in hindsight it was a really good price considering the quality (haven't seen any of the same quality before or since)

I'm on the hunt for a tsavorite too (smaller size than you) so wishing us both luck :)

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’ve seen good paraibas, but they’re $$$$$$$$. I never dealt with this vendor, but their stones!:love:

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bz-S8BtFucl/?igshid=1bxd1jk7ecft2

Yeah the one Yvonne has is 2 ct and $16k. :-o I don’t see enough decent paraibas to have any understanding of whether that’s a fair price or highway robbery, but it looked good enough in the pictures for me to want to see it. I don’t have a whole ring I spent that much on, not even my engagement ring, let alone a single stone.

My overall budget is around $20k so if I DON’T spend all of it in one place I can get a couple of things. (It was a bit higher but I already am committed to buying a sapphire :lol: I didn’t need any help for that one!)

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yeah the one Yvonne has is 2 ct and $16k. :-o I don’t see enough decent paraibas to have any understanding of whether that’s a fair price or highway robbery, but it looked good enough in the pictures for me to want to see it. I don’t have a whole ring I spent that much on, not even my engagement ring, let alone a single stone.

My overall budget is around $20k so if I DON’T spend all of it in one place I can get a couple of things. (It was a bit higher but I already am committed to buying a sapphire :lol: I didn’t need any help for that one!)
With THAT budget, I’d get a nice emerald!!!!:mrgreen:

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Did Phoenix sell the one she had? It was a lovely stone, although possibly darker than what you are looking for.

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I know of a mint garnet light green triliant of 5 CT’s for $5000 and I have 4 4ct dark green. Medium is tough now at a decent price.

There are a half-dozen 3+ ct mint trillions out there - so many I’d make a suite if they didn’t all look like slightly different colors. I haven’t seen a 5ct+ for $5k though.

With THAT budget, I’d get a nice emerald!!!!:mrgreen:

Hah - if only I’d ever seen an emerald I like that’s less than $50k! I think I’m just not particularly a fan of emeralds, maybe, because they have to be intensely green and nearly as big as my fist before I start seeing the appeal.

Did Phoenix sell the one she had? It was a lovely stone, although possibly darker than what you are looking for.

I think she did. I thought that one looked good - certainly I wouldn’t say no to it :lol:.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'll bet you anything you'll find the 5 ct tsavorite on Litnon. Why? Because MJO has been selling his collection to him for years, and then showing up on PS each time to say he "happens to know" that Litnon has a stone just like what the OP seeks. I suggested that he label himself as Trade, since he was promoting the sale of his stones via Litnon, but he declined. I do think its only fair for us consumers to know that he is promoting his own sales each time this occurs... :rolleyes:

voce

Ideal_Rock
It seems like the darker greens are oftten priced higher, which blows my mind because they black out so much. I'd rather a dollop of pure green GREEN on my hand, you know?

I do like the bluish modifiers but I'm fine without them. I need them more in the mint colors than I do in stones like this.

Maybe I should start a new thread for this - but anyone seen any good paraibas lately? I am seeing a 2 ct Yvonne has next week in addition to the tsavorites... I am quite afraid I'll like it most and blow my entire bling budget on it!
Completely agree with you about darker greens being less desirable to me because they black out. Same thing for blue in sapphire.

Well, if I see that paraiba disappear, I'll know who bought it. :twisted2: I envy you your budget!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Some darker tsavorite black out, but not all. It depends on the vividness of color. I have a dark tsavorite that never blacks out. I also have a dark tsavorite that was a learning stone. It looks like a black pebble.

voce

Ideal_Rock
Green grossular garnets aka tsavs can have some fluorescence. I wonder if this has anything to do with whether dark tsavs will black out. Have you ever tested your dark tsav under UV, @T L?

AV_

Ideal_Rock
@MJO Dare I suggest a perfunctory 'For Sale' listting here... - in the interest of decorum. I see no difference; you well may.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I believe (don’t know for sure) that it’s only the minty garnets from a certain location that have fluorescence. My mints fluoresce, my dark tsavorites do not.

voce

Ideal_Rock
I believe (don’t know for sure) that it’s only the minty garnets from a certain location that have fluorescence. My mints fluoresce, my dark tsavorites do not.
Good info, T L. Thanks. Indeed, I must admit I have not purchased any dark tsavs. For how much they cost, I'd rather spend it on another gem like emerald, if I had it. Right now I'm not looking to buy any more, since I have yet to set many of the gems this year, and I went overboard this year so set back my retirement savings a bit.

leslie1956

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
My trillion tsavorite is a light to medium grassy green color and it glows like crazy :) Likewise, I also prefer this color range in tsavs. This piece remains one of my very favorite rings from CRD.

il_1140xN.934143391_59ua.jpg

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love the lighter but intense and glowy ones! Your trillion ring is gorgeous!

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'll bet you anything you'll find the 5 ct tsavorite on Litnon. Why? Because MJO has been selling his collection to him for years, and then showing up on PS each time to say he "happens to know" that Litnon has a stone just like what the OP seeks. I suggested that he label himself as Trade, since he was promoting the sale of his stones via Litnon, but he declined. I do think its only fair for us consumers to know that he is promoting his own sales each time this occurs... :rolleyes:

Well if that's the case - I'll happily take it for the $5k MJO said on this thread that it was selling for, instead of the over $8k on Litnon. :rodent:

I think this is the case. I don't know if I've ever tested my med or darker tsavorites but I do know all my mints fluoresce.

My trillion tsavorite is a light to medium grassy green color and it glows like crazy :) Likewise, I also prefer this color range in tsavs. This piece remains one of my very favorite rings from CRD.

LOVE the color! That one looks more like what I'd call a mint tsavorite rather than straight-up.

Sorry to go off-topic, but @chrono and @Acinom and @TL and anyone else who knows paraibas, what do you think of this?
https://www.etsy.com/listing/719147...aiba-tourmaline?ref=shop_home_active_66&frs=1
Is the price totally insane? It looks glowy, is a good size, is from Brazil, has the AGL prestige report, so seems to tick all the boxes. I guess I want to know if I see it and love it, if I'm ok to proceed. I'm having a hard time finding price comps - some seem to be half the price and look the same but I don't know if the sellers are reputable, and some are twice the price but don't look anywhere near as good.

@lucida818 you bought a similar paraiba recently, iirc it was preloved, ehow does the price compare? If only I should be so lucky as to find a preloved ring with a great paraiba!

leslie1956

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Thank you, @minousbijoux! I'd love to have a pair of tsavs in this same color for earrings :)

leslie1956

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
LOVE the color! That one looks more like what I'd call a mint tsavorite rather than straight-up.
I agree it's more a mint tsavorite, too and I think the color is glorious, so thank you :) I like darker greens in other gems, but not tsavorite due to the blacking out issue. I'm hoping that Yvonne is returning from Columbia with some emeralds somewhat in my price range, lol!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well if that's the case - I'll happily take it for the $5k MJO said on this thread that it was selling for, instead of the over $8k on Litnon. :rodent:

I think this is the case. I don't know if I've ever tested my med or darker tsavorites but I do know all my mints fluoresce.

Sorry to go off-topic, but @chrono and @Acinom and @TL and anyone else who knows paraibas, what do you think of this?
https://www.etsy.com/listing/719147...aiba-tourmaline?ref=shop_home_active_66&frs=1
Is the price totally insane? It looks glowy, is a good size, is from Brazil, has the AGL prestige report, so seems to tick all the boxes. I guess I want to know if I see it and love it, if I'm ok to proceed. I'm having a hard time finding price comps - some seem to be half the price and look the same but I don't know if the sellers are reputable, and some are twice the price but don't look anywhere near as good.

@lucida818 you bought a similar paraiba recently, iirc it was preloved, ehow does the price compare? If only I should be so lucky as to find a preloved ring with a great paraiba!
If the photos are accurate, I’ve seen color like that in Mozambique paraibas, and it’s also very included. The AGL report is not a full prestige report and makes no mention of the color quality. Therefore, I haven’t shopped for paraibas in a long time and I don’t know a fair price, but it seems a bit expensive to me since it’s Brazilian. I could be totally wrong about fair pricing though.

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If the photos are accurate, I’ve seen color like that in Mozambique paraibas, and it’s also very included. The AGL report is not a full prestige report and makes no mention of the color quality. Therefore, I haven’t shopped for paraibas in a long time and I don’t know a fair price, but it seems a bit expensive to me since it’s Brazilian. I could be totally wrong about fair pricing though.

TL, so this is considered included, right? I have never pulled the trigger on Paraibas; just wanted to know if I should look for something cleaner if I ever decide to.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
TL, so this is considered included, right? I have never pulled the trigger on Paraibas; just wanted to know if I should look for something cleaner if I ever decide to.
Yes, it is considered included. Most Paraiba are, but you can find clean stones, or those with more minimal inclusions. Many paraiba are clarity enhanced. There is no mention of clarity enhancement on the AGL report for the above stone, but that’s rare these days.

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, it is considered included. Most Paraiba are, but you can find clean stones, or those with more minimal inclusions. Many paraiba are clarity enhanced. There is no mention of clarity enhancement on the AGL report for the above stone, but that’s rare these days.

Thank you. Once upon a lifetime I saw two paraibas that were included and oiled, but fantastically glowy. But I expected the price to reflect all these handicaps, and it did not.

qubitasaurus

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
If it looks as good as the photos on Yvonne's website then I think it is expenaive but inordanately difficult to find a comparable heat-only or untreated option at a cheaper price without buying from an instagram or ebay vendor based somewhere like europe, japan or thailand. The latter has its issues in terms of making the stone impossible to see before purchase, and difficult to return if it does not live up to expectations. Also these instagram options usually come without lab reports, or cettified by local labs from southeast asis/japan.

You might like to look for brightIce's recent thread on finding a paraiba tourlamine as she essentially compiled a list of alternate vendors (from memory these were all over the shop in different countries/i.e. not USA. But it may give you an opportunity to look for price comps -- from memory the instagram vendors did not offer public prices though so again if you want to avoid those shenanigans then this option from Yvonne might actually still be the best choice for you).

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium

That's good to know. I guess I haven't seen a full prestige report then because I've just seen that kind and the one that's the regular report on the little card.

If it looks as good as the photos on Yvonne's website then I think it is expenaive but inordanately difficult to find a comparable heat-only or untreated option at a cheaper price without buying from an instagram or ebay vendor based somewhere like europe, japan or thailand. The latter has its issues in terms of making the stone impossible to see before purchase, and difficult to return if it does not live up to expectations. Also these instagram options usually come without lab reports, or cettified by local labs from southeast asis/japan.

You might like to look for brightIce's recent thread on finding a paraiba tourlamine as she essentially compiled a list of alternate vendors (from memory these were all over the shop in different countries/i.e. not USA. But it may give you an opportunity to look for price comps -- from memory the instagram vendors did not offer public prices though so again if you want to avoid those shenanigans then this option from Yvonne might actually still be the best choice for you).

Thanks for the thread rec - I had searched PS for appropriate threads but that one wasn't one of the ones near the top/that I actually clicked.

I've combed what feels like the entire internet for price comps but the vast majority I am finding are nowhere near as saturated as this appears to be. (For instance, Paraiba International only has a few and they mostly don't look as good?) So I'm going to have to start emailing people and looking at instagram vendors and so on. You're right that I'm not sure I want to play the game of messaging people repeatedly and then getting it shipped over and sending it to a lab and risking it not being what is claimed, especially for the price paraibas go for, especially if they're vendors that PSers haven't already had good experiences with, and especially given the proliferation of decent-looking paraiba fakes which one has to be watching out for. If they're someone no PSers has bought from, that risk might be too high for me.

A non crazy alternative would be to get her to also show you this one.

I've asked her to bring several others, yeah.

I really like the look of this paraiba on her pics and from experience I know her pics are usually quite accurate - but it might be just easier to stick with my previous plan of a tsavorite and a spinel because I know price comps for those and won't be second-guessing whether I overpaid!

It seems that in 2014 for her 2ct paraiba in the french cut ring, Acinom paid around $8.6k from Leon Mege, so half of this. Hers appears to be similar color and similar amount of inclusions. Have prices doubled in the past five years?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results