shape
carat
color
clarity

Looking for a .9-1.0c D color with priority on cut

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

CutMonkey

Rough_Rock
I''m looking for a stone for an e-ring, and want to find something just under 1.0c, but haven''t found a lot in the .90-.99c range in the quality I want (D, VS1 or above, and extemely well cut). Most of the stuff I''ve seen is either quite a bit smaller, or, of course, bigger (and more expensive).

Currently, I''m considering the following:

.907 D, VS1,
Diameter 6.29
Depth 60.9
Crown Angle 34.2
Pavil Angle 40.9
Cutlet .4
Table 55.5

1.00 D, VVS2
Diameter 6.44
Depth 61.2
Crown Angle 34.8
Pavil Angle 40.8
Cutlet .3
Table 57.2

The difference in price between the two is nearly $4000 though. Cut is certainly my highest priority, and I''m pretty determined to get a D color. After that, clarity takes precedence over size. What I''d really like is something in the middle, with a similar quality cut. I tried a PriceScope search by cut quality, but that turned up mainly stones that were larger and more expensive that the first stone I listed above.

pqcollectibles

Ideal_Rock
That's the quandry CM. Most everyone that comes to Price Scope has a preset notion of their perfect diamond. Then they learn about the importance of CUT and the compromises begin. Some sacrifice clarity, some color, some size to maintain cut.

A truly Ideal Cut diamond is the result of an artisan's expertise. Their skill is a part of the price of the diamond. Two cutters sitting side by side with, for purposes of example, the exact same rough. One cutter is a novice, the other at the top of his craft with literally tons of experience. Who do you think will yield the better quality CUT, and more beautiful diamond?

I would suggest, if you do not want to compromise on CUT, size, or clarity, then compromise on color. You can easily drop to an Ideal CUT F color, still be in the colorless range, and apply the premium of D color toward other facets of your purchase. If you want CUT, color, and clarity within your Cost (the 5th C), you'll have to sacrifice carat.

Decisions, decisions. I know it's tough and I wish you the best of luck!
1.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Since you don't note price on either stone..here are some comments.

I'm sure you have your reasons, whatever they may be, for wanting a D color over an E or F which would be cheaper...but what about clarity? Your eye will not see anything past a VS2..so why spend your money needlessly on a VVS?

Anyway that said..here is one stone for you to check out:

http://search.virtcert.com/cgi/u/1012/v.cgi?stock=1298869&_s=1012&_p=sdf348gd743&_c=&_fs=1&prestock=&_ln=ps

.93c D VS1 $5500 AGS 0 stone (ID ID)

There you have your D color, your VS clarity (I like VS clarity personally!) and its a great price.

There's also:

http://search.virtcert.com/cgi/u/1057/v.cgi?stock=1316419&_s=1057&_p=abaz83&_c=&_fs=1&prestock=&_ln=ps

.91 D VS1 $6200 GIA stone (EX EX)

Though neither of those stones had crown and pavilion angles posted..I would get those in order to make more informed decision--esp compared against the two stones you posted below.

That said..the two stones you posted sound gorgeous. I would highly advise to not bother with the D VVS stone. What a waste of $4k! That's a honeymoon or something similar..not just a few hundred bucks, but thousands!!

Both of your stones scored very well on HCA. The D VS1 got a 1.2 EX EX VG VG scoring and the D VVS got a 1.5 EX EX EX VG scoring. Both are nothing to sneeze at. Under 2.0 means that you are looking at the top 5% of diamond quality.

Anyway my two cents. Good luck!!
1.gif
9.gif

jlim

Shiny_Rock
cutmonkey - to make a truly apples to apples comparison, you got to look at a 1ct D/VS1 as well. It is the magic 1 carat that makes the price jump of $4000. Not the VVS2. So, looking at 1ct, the price difference is around $1500 or so.

Do a price search but use criteria for 1-1.49ct

Is it worth around 20% price premium to go from a VS1 to VVS2, you have to decide on your own.

But since you said your priority is CUT, COLOR, CLARITY, CARAT I think it is pretty clear how you'll choose.

Talonnav

Shiny_Rock
Well, you might want to even look at SI1 clarity to get the D color that you want, and still stay in your price range. I love my D SI1 1.13 carat.

DiamondExpert

Brilliant_Rock
I would second what Talonnav suggests...there are some beautiful, eye clean D, SI1's in brand name, super-ideal cuts out there, which are just under 1ct.
naughty.gif

CutMonkey

Rough_Rock
Thanks everyone for the recommendations. I've been lurking here for a couple of weeks trying to learn as much as I can, and respect your opinions.

Just to clarify, of the two stones I posted, I can't really justify a $4000 premium for the second. It just that I haven't found many stones similar to the first one. I realize there's a big price jump in going to 1.0 carat, and since size really isn't that important (my girlfriend has small hands, and upon seeing some of the 1.0+ carat stones during casual mall store browsing, her reaction has been "too big"), I've been hoping to find the best quality stone I can that's just under 1 carat and in my price range (6000-7000).

Since cut is my primary selection criteria, I'm interested in stones with similar HCA scores to the ones I posted. Actually, for scores below 2.0, is a lower score necessarily better?

----------------
On 6/5/2003 5:28:49 PM Mara wrote:

Anyway that said..here is one stone for you to check out:

http://search.virtcert.com/cgi/u/1012/v.cgi?stock=1298869&_s=1012&_p=sdf348gd743&_c=&_fs=1&prestock=&_ln=ps

.93c D VS1 $5500 AGS 0 stone (ID ID)

There you have your D color, your VS clarity (I like VS clarity personally!) and its a great price.

There's also:

http://search.virtcert.com/cgi/u/1057/v.cgi?stock=1316419&_s=1057&_p=abaz83&_c=&_fs=1&prestock=&_ln=ps

.91 D VS1 $6200 GIA stone (EX EX)
----------------

Thanks Mara, I'll definately check those out. Oh, and btw, don't you have a Mark Morrell setting for one of your rings? My girlfriend and I both love nearly all the MM rings we've seen posted.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
No I don't have a MM setting...my setting was custom made at a jeweler in Aptos. You can see pix in the 'Eye Candy' forum of my ring. The MM settings are very beautiful--you can't go wrong if you choose one of his designs!!
1.gif

In case you have not yet checked out GoodOldGold..Jonathan has alot of stones you may consider. He hand picks his stuff, so here are a few links.

http://www.goodoldgold.com/0_93ct_e_vs2_ags_0.htm
.93c E VS2 AGS 0 H&A $5500

http://www.goodoldgold.com/0_906ct_e_vs1_h&a.htm
.90c E VS1 AGS0 H&A

Those both E's..I don't know how strict you are with your D color wishes.
If you decided to consider E's..you would have many more options to choose from in general.

I would also not hesitate to give Jonathan a call and find out what else he may have that fit your specs. For example, a D VS2 or similar around the .95c range..and/or what he can get that may fit your specs.

Same with WhiteFlash--I found their diamondwholesale.cc branch to be very helpful during my search..Denise was great.

Anyhow, good luck!
1.gif
I think it's great to put cut as top priority--and even if there are not many D/E stones out there right now that may fit your specs, don't be in a huge hurry. There are many many stones out there, and patience goes a long way in an important search such as this!

1.gif

Talonnav

Shiny_Rock
Don't forget SuperbCert diamonds.
Check out this one:
http://www.superbcert.com/products/index.cfm?Product_ID=414&Product_Subcategory_ID=2&Product_Category_ID=3&Product_Group_ID=1

It's a D SI 1 .95 carat weight

pqcollectibles

Ideal_Rock
Eeeewwww, SI1 is a good consideration!

Mine is SI1 majorly due to a feather that you cannot see from the top. Mount it right in a ring and you won't see it there either.

Opening up clarity to a broader scope will also give you more options. It's really going to come down to the size, type, color, and location of the inclusions.

Like Talonnav said, there are some really great SI1's out there!
1.gif

As Mara suggested, E is a very good color compromise. Maybe even F. Those are SUPER IDEAL cuts in the H&A's of White Flash, GOG, Nice Ice and SuperbCert. SUPER IDEAL cuts visually appear whiter and brighter than their color rating. It's really hard to visualize if you haven't done a live and in person, side by side comparison of same color, carat weight, and clarity SUPER IDEAL to a decent cut. It isn't apples and apples. It is apples and oranges. Remember too, color is rated from the cutlet side and not the table.

Opening up color will offer a lot more options as well.
1.gif

I just ran the HCA on your first diamond. It looks like a great diamond!
1.2 TIC HCA
Excellent Light Return
Excellent Fire
Very Good Scintillation
Very Good Spread

Some impressive stats definitely worth considering!
2.gif

You didn't say if it is an H&A so I ran Price Stats for a Class 1A and H&A. I got an interesting result. For comparable color, clarity, and carat weight diamonds, PS vendors are asking an average of $5510 for an H&A and $5725 for a Class 1A diamond.
4.gif

burch

Rough_Rock
I am not sure how this forum works I am new-- I am not a business rather a person trying to get rid of an old wedding ring--which I reset to a necklace--and can be changed back easily--
it is 1.02 Carats D in color and the Clarity is SI or SII--
It is beautiful--it appraises at over 11k, and it is jsut time for me to let it go-I am looking to get at least 5k, and this might be the answer to both our problems
[email protected]

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
burch..create a new post so your subject can be seen. also try ebay for the sale!

CutMonkey

Rough_Rock

----------------
On 6/6/2003 12:14
6.gif
5 PM Talonnav wrote:
Don't forget SuperbCert diamonds.
Check out this one:
http://www.superbcert.com/products/index.cfm?Product_ID=414&Product_Subcategory_ID=2&Product_Category_ID=3&Product_Group_ID=1

It's a D SI 1 .95 carat weight ----------------
Thanks. Actually, the first stone I posted is also a SuperCert.

http://www.superbcert.com/products/index.cfm?Product_ID=330&Product_Subcategory_ID=2&Product_Category_ID=3&Product_Group_ID=1

What do people think of these two SuperbCert stones? Which would you choose?

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
CM--post the urls of both stones so that people can easily compare without hunting around. Also pricing.

The stone you just posted doesn't have a Bscope report up yet, so it will be hard to tell vs the other diamond what small differences may catch your eye.

CutMonkey

Rough_Rock

----------------
On 6/12/2003 11:45:39 AM Mara wrote:
CM--post the urls of both stones so that people can easily compare without hunting around. Also pricing.

The stone you just posted doesn't have a Bscope report up yet, so it will be hard to tell vs the other diamond what small differences may catch your eye.

----------------
Thought I linked both of the SuperCert stones in my last post, but I'll try including them again, and add a link to one of the wonderful stones Mara suggested earlier while I'm at it:

http://www.superbcert.com/products/index.cfm?Product_ID=330&Product_Subcategory_ID=2&Product_Category_ID=3&Product_Group_ID=1

http://www.goodoldgold.com/0_93ct_e_vs2_ags_0.htm

Which would you choose?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results