shape
carat
color
clarity

Looking at this 3.6ct AGS tomorrow. Is this a bad cut?

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Unfortunately, there is no way to honestly answer this question without more details on the stone.

Good luck tomorrow - let us know what you think!!

joelj

Rough_Rock
I was under the impression that an AGS "ideal" cut didn't need to be tested on the HCA scale, that the ideal marking from AGS always does well on the HCA rating. However, this diamond looks a little deep, agree?

joelj

Rough_Rock
Thanks, have not looked at other options but open to suggestions of what I should view in NYC. The selection, such as James Allen, seems to thin when you get to that size.

ChristineRose

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
If you go here you can see the AGS cert.

The HCA is 1.8.

In general AGS trumps the HCA as they take more stuff into account. GIA also trumps the HCA except the GIA Excellent range includes a lot of stones that are to someone's taste, but aren't necessarily going to impress everyone.

Link didn't work...trying again...

http://www.agslab.com/pdf_sync_reports/104086828012-PLDQR.PDF

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Jeff, please ignore Diamondere.

The stone is deeper than we typically recommend. But it is an AGS0. And it is in a size and spec range that is hard to find. So let's not throw out the baby with the bath water.

If they can provide you with an idealscope and an ASET image then most of the concern, performance wise, goes a way, if it checks out.

You need to be are the the depth, even if it is not impacting the performance negatively, is going to result in a slightly smaller spread than a stone cut to more conservative proportions. Spread means face up dimensions.

So that is what you need to keep in mind.

There is NO concern with buying a diamond online. If it is an SI1 you will want pictures from BE and also to speak to them about how eyeclean the stone is. Many 3 carat Si1 stones can have visible inclusions, so please keep that in mind.

joelj

Rough_Rock
Thanks, I'm visiting their office tomorrow so will try to remember all this. The price seems decent for a stone of this size.

Lula

Ideal_Rock
Joelj, when you look at the stone in person, pay close attention to the edges of the stone. Take a look at the colored image of the stone on the grading report -- see the green areas near the edges of the stone? Those green areas may be dull and lifeless compared to the rest of the stone, either due to inclusions or to poor cutting. The image is a computer-generated image (ray tracing) not as good as an ASET of the actual stone, but it still offers useful information. Make sure you look at the stone underneath a microscope, and under a 10x magnifier loupe. The jeweler should have booth tools, and should offer to show you the stone under magnification. If not, be wary. As Gypsy mentioned, this stone may not be eye clean due to the SI 1 grade, which may negatively affect the appearance of the stone. I'd also be concerned that the inclusions may be affecting the diamond's brilliance and fire.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The stone is a bit too deep.

joelj

Rough_Rock
ChristineRose|1470880492|4064586 said:

The HCA is 1.8.

In general AGS trumps the HCA as they take more stuff into account. GIA also trumps the HCA except the GIA Excellent range includes a lot of stones that are to someone's taste, but aren't necessarily going to impress everyone.

How did you find the AGS certificate?

I'm looking at this one too and can't figure out how you did that
https://www.brilliantlyengaged.com/3.20-carat-i-vs2-ideal-round-cut-diamond-gid-55243.html

ChristineRose

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
joelj|1470920389|4064716 said:
ChristineRose|1470880492|4064586 said:

The HCA is 1.8.

How did you find the AGS certificate?

I'm looking at this one too and can't figure out how you did that
https://www.brilliantlyengaged.com/3.20-carat-i-vs2-ideal-round-cut-diamond-gid-55243.html

Internet wizardry.

First, go to the diamond search on the top of this page. Limit the parameters to 3.2 I VS 2 and rounds.

See what comes up. The BE one will come up. Look for another diamond with the same table, depth, and measurements. Turns out Blue Nile has the same stone and you can see the AGS cert there.

I tried to link to BN and it wouldn't let me, so I went to the AGS diamond check site and pulled it up and linked to the cert directly.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results