shape
carat
color
clarity

Longevity of Cultured Fresh Water Pearls (CFWPs)

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I thought I would share this pic with you, to demonstrate the durability and longevity of CFWPs.

This little pearl is the remnant of a much larger one that I wire-wrapped as a charm as part of key ring's dangle, along with 2 old Chinese coins, a silver and a gold charm each, and a small piece of jade, back in 1997.

20200702_103205.jpg

It had been rubbing against the keys and the rest of the key ring and dangle all these years.

I had to make a new dangle as the nylon cord was close to breaking, and replaced the pearl charm with a new one.

Hopefully I had selected another CFWP based on its slightly potatoey shape as the new charm to last for another 20 or so years!

DK :))

pearaffair

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love knowing this!!! I rarely wear my pearls because I baby them... turns out I could wear them a little more often, eh? ;-)

MeowMeow

Brilliant_Rock
Thats awesome! I feel like cultured pearls can last quite a long time. I have some in my fathers bank vault that are at least 25 years old if not more, and they still look lovely. I'll be so happy to have them back eventually.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The reason why CFWPs are durable is that they are made of solid nacre as can be seen in the remnant of my pearl charm, unlike Akoyas that have mother of pearl beads with a layer of nacre over it.

@pearaffair I prefer CFWPs as they are less expensive than Akoyas and more durable.

Have a look at the top end gem grade CFWPs and you will not be disappointed.

pearaffair

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The reason why CFWPs are durable is that they are made of solid nacre as can be seen in the remnant of my pearl charm, unlike Akoyas that have mother of pearl beads with a layer of nacre over it.

@pearaffair I prefer CFWPs as they are less expensive than Akoyas and more durable.

Have a look at the top end gem grade CFWPs and you will not be disappointed.

Can you tell me more about this? I just finished the GIA pearls course but I have to admit, my brain was very sleep-deprived and I didn’t retain as much as I would’ve liked. I don’t remember anything about Akoyas being less durable than CFWP. But I would love to know more! Do you have details or know anywhere I can find details?

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Can you tell me more about this? I just finished the GIA pearls course but I have to admit, my brain was very sleep-deprived and I didn’t retain as much as I would’ve liked. I don’t remember anything about Akoyas being less durable than CFWP. But I would love to know more! Do you have details or know anywhere I can find details?

Try this to start: https://www.pearlparadise.com/pages/pearl-education1

There is also this course that used to be free, launched in 2016 during the Pearl Ruckus that I attended in LA, not sure if it still is or not: https://www.pearlsasone.org/

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It IS still free! Did you like it?

I’m going to take it after I finish my GIA coloured stones course.

I was one of the first to enroll as those at the Ruckus were given free access at the time.

However, for one reason or another, I have not finished it, DOH!

Hope you like it, as I have heard a lot of good things about it. :)

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
I always thought its good for the pearl to be worn as much as possible ?

Pearlescence

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Within reason, yes. Pearls like to be worn. Perhaps not when doing the milking (a strand from a farmer's wife who wore hers continually) or bricklaying. But, like shoes, often.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results