shape
carat
color
clarity

Long time lurker, but first time poster. Opinions.

hapyhar0ld

Rough_Rock
Hey guys/gals. I've been a long term lurker but first time poster. Here's the long and short of it. I purchased a ring for my wife two years ago and it was "okay" because it was within our budget (we were in college at the time). Now that we're out of college I'd like to upgrade it and get something nicer for her. After looking at stones with my wife she has decided that a 60 pointer is the ideal size for her (she has extremely small hands).

With that in mind I went off and looked. I ended up finding a stone that is D in color VS2, GIA certified "Ideal" cut. I looked at the proportions and entered it into the HCA and it got ranked a 1.1.

http://www2.gia.edu/reportcheck/index.cfm?fuseaction=home.showReportVerification&reportno=2121158622&weight=0.60

Here's the link to the cert. Please advise as I'm going to take a look at it in person on Friday and before I make a decision I want to make sure there isn't anything else I'm missing. I deeply appreciate all your help and I wish everyone a Merry Christmas.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Looks good to me.
If you picked a D after seeing E F G H I in person and understanding how they look to you in person and the price difference, or the size difference for the same budget then you're done.

If you have not seen those other colors yet, in person for yourself, I'd recommend that.
After seeing them if you still want the D, so be it.

hapyhar0ld

Rough_Rock
To be honest, the D color just happened. We were anywhere from the D-H range, VS2 or above. The main thing we wanted was Excellent polish, excellent symmetry and ideal cut that ranked "well" on the HCA scale. We also had to double our initial purchase price in order to purchase this stone (since we're upgrading). They're asking $3050 for this rock. Do you think I can do better? Other than color, clarity, carat, cut and plugging the proportions into the HCA calculator is there anything else I should do before pulling the trigger?

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Get pictures and an IS and an ASET. If you haven't seen it in person. If you have just make sure to view away from store lights and in different lighting settings and from all angles.

hapyhar0ld

Rough_Rock
Will do. What's an ASET and IS?

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What a lovely husband! Welcome and Merry Christmas to you too!

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
numbers look good, if you have seen it in person and noticed nothing unattractive to your eyes in various lighting types then sounds like you've found your stone..

IS = IdealScope, ASET = angular spectrum evaluation tool, read about photography & evaluation through both here http://www.ideal-scope.com/1.using_howto.asp

hapyhar0ld

Rough_Rock
you guys are quick and knowledgable. Thank you so much. So if I see it in person should I still ask for the IS and ASET? If not, what should I look for while in person.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
hapyhar0ld|1292971291|2803224 said:
you guys are quick and knowledgable. Thank you so much. So if I see it in person should I still ask for the IS and ASET? If not, what should I look for while in person.

If you are able to see it in person you are in the best possible position, as it is always, always best to buy with your eyes! But, you need to train those eyes to see past the initial "sparkle! everything sparkles!" and look for, catalogue, and analyse the nuances that please or displease you.

So first, look at the stone. Take it around the store, sit in front of a window, look at it under a desk. Does it look bright and sparkly under different lights? A well-cut stone of those proportions will perform well over a variety of lighting conditions. Bring a brightly coloured cloth - red, or blue, or green, and balance the stone face-up on the cloth. Do you see the colour clearly through the stone? If so, through how much of the faceting (visible misalignment & asymmetry that the averaged, rounded numbers on the report are masking)? Do you see the colour with both eyes, when the stone is moved? More importantly, if you do, do you find it displeasing? Compare it to other stones of the same size - shallower stones, deeper stones, stones with long and short lgf, stones with good and bad cut grades. As always, the most important question is which do YOU like best?

hapyhar0ld

Rough_Rock
Yssie|1292972573|2803252 said:
So first, look at the stone. Take it around the store, sit in front of a window, look at it under a desk. Does it look bright and sparkly under different lights? A well-cut stone of those proportions will perform well over a variety of lighting conditions. Bring a brightly coloured cloth - red, or blue, or green, and balance the stone face-up on the cloth. Do you see the colour clearly through the stone? If so, through how much of the faceting (visible misalignment & asymmetry that the averaged, rounded numbers on the report are masking)? Do you see the colour with both eyes, when the stone is moved? More importantly, if you do, do you find it displeasing? Compare it to other stones of the same size - shallower stones, deeper stones, stones with long and short lgf, stones with good and bad cut grades. As always, the most important question is which do YOU like best?

Thank you so much Yssie! That is exactly what I was looking for.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
np, good luck!

kelpie

Ideal_Rock
hapyhar0ld|1292968108|2803180 said:
To be honest, the D color just happened. We were anywhere from the D-H range, VS2 or above. The main thing we wanted was Excellent polish, excellent symmetry and ideal cut that ranked "well" on the HCA scale. We also had to double our initial purchase price in order to purchase this stone (since we're upgrading). They're asking $3050 for this rock. Do you think I can do better? Other than color, clarity, carat, cut and plugging the proportions into the HCA calculator is there anything else I should do before pulling the trigger?

I'd say it's a great sounding stone but in the virtual database it's selling for $2066. You have to decide if you'd rather keep the current ring and pay $2000 more, or lose the current ring and pay $1500 more.

http://www.eternitydiamonds.com/diamond_detail.php?id=417986&ref=pricescope

ChunkyCushionLover

Ideal_Rock
hapyhar0ld said:
Hey guys/gals. I've been a long term lurker but first time poster. Here's the long and short of it. I purchased a ring for my wife two years ago and it was "okay" because it was within our budget (we were in college at the time). Now that we're out of college I'd like to upgrade it and get something nicer for her. After looking at stones with my wife she has decided that a 60 pointer is the ideal size for her (she has extremely small hands).

With that in mind I went off and looked. I ended up finding a stone that is D in color VS2, GIA certified "Ideal" cut. I looked at the proportions and entered it into the HCA and it got ranked a 1.1.

http://www2.gia.edu/reportcheck/index.cfm?fuseaction=home.showReportVerification&reportno=2121158622&weight=0.60

Here's the link to the cert. Please advise as I'm going to take a look at it in person on Friday and before I make a decision I want to make sure there isn't anything else I'm missing. I deeply appreciate all your help and I wish everyone a Merry Christmas.

Price isn't great. Unless they are giving you a great deal on your tradein I'd pass.

For example this stone has many more guarantees and is priced cheaper
http://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-2228615.htm

slg47

Ideal_Rock
ChunkyCushionLover|1292973601|2803267 said:
hapyhar0ld said:

Price isn't great. Unless they are giving you a great deal on your tradein I'd pass.

For example this stone has many more guarantees and is priced cheaper
http://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-2228615.htm

yeah CCL has a good point. you could keep your current stone, set it into a pendant and get something like this
http://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-2428640.htm

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
Honestly, I would look at a G/H SI1 and go up in size. I know she is ok with a 0.6 ct but would she want to go bigger if she can't really tell about the color and clarity? I know I would but I am not her ... and I also have tiny fingers (US 2.75).

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results