shape
carat
color
clarity

Long-term diamond planning

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’m a planner. Lol. While I’m very happy with my 2.52, I’m looking ahead.
Would love to hear your thoughts.
How big will you go? Is there a particular milestone you plan to celebrate with your final upgrade? Will you do the upgrades a little over time or trade up until you hit that milestone and size goal?

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I upgraded from nothing to 4.56 cts, I think I can say I’m done, but happy to be an enabler :lol:

cflutist

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think that I am done, however if the right CBI came along, 10mm+ E/F VS1, I might be interested. Hubby already told me that he thinks that a 5ct would look ridiculous on my size 4.25 (left) or 4.5 (right) finger.
My problem is that all of my ering diamonds have been D thru F in color and those suckers are expensive.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I honestly do not have DSS and am happy with my 1.19ct EC.

Besides, I have loads of CSs to set, as well as to re-set my mum's MRB that is about 1.9ct.

Therefore no upgrade for me.

DK :))

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My current plan is to wait for MMDs to become much cheaper and then buy a 3ct D/E VVS asscher or Octavia if they are cut from MMD rough :D lol

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
UK here, and like most, I have a husband who has never even heard of the term ‘up grading’ :lol:

Think I am stuck with my 1.02ct pear forever. But a girl can dream....

elizat

Ideal_Rock
I have a couple rings with stones that are a good size. I don't think I plan to upgrade or change them. The only one may be the yellow diamond I have from Diamonds by Lauren. I could see myself trading that not for a larger stone, but a more vivid yellow maybe. I have tried to buy with an intent to keep them after I culled things.

I could see myself getting an asscher down the road though.

bludiva

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't want a bigger ring, but I'd like a couple of alternate rings... I wish I could try "new dresses" for my stone every so often like you do, Nala, I need a conspiratorial jeweler in my life...:lol-2:

baby monster

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My current plan is to wait for MMDs to become much cheaper and then buy a 3ct D/E VVS asscher or Octavia if they are cut from MMD rough :D lol
If you're going for man-made stone, why wait that long? High quality moissy can be cut into an asscher now.

KKJohnson

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
my husband said we are never upgrading, I wouldn't mind an alternative even if its smaller:lol:

Reactions: AV_

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you're going for man-made stone, why wait that long? High quality moissy can be cut into an asscher now.
I've not looked into it that much TBH - I've not seen moissanite in real life so I'm not sure if I'd like it when compared to diamond! lol

seaurchin

Ideal_Rock
I could see possibly getting a larger, champagne or brown diamond for my right hand.

Rubymal

Shiny_Rock
PS Fab Fashion Jewelry forum offers lots of eye candy. TBH, there are lots of well cut czs now too. I got this for a song.
IMG_20190613_172909.jpg

That looks amazing! Are you able to share the shop link?

JPie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have a 1.02 Crisscut Cushion, and I haven't planned on any upgrades. Right now I'm more into collecting antique pieces, but even then I feel like I've checked off most things on that list. Who knows what I'll be into next...

Rubybrick

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
How big will you go? Is there a particular milestone you plan to celebrate with your final upgrade? Will you do the upgrades a little over time or trade up until you hit that milestone and size goal?
For me, most likely an EC/stepcut 3/5 stone, with the center stone in the 2 ct Mark, G or above color. Pretty long long term plan....

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I can't plan, things just fall into my lap so I doubt I will be upgrading but would consider it if there was a two carat OEC for a super cheap price. You never know.

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I doubt I'll ever upgrade my diamond. It's a modest 1.5 carat ACA - small by most PS standards but I like it. I bought it with some money from my parent's estate so I have a sentimental reason to never trade it for something larger.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
A 2.99999ct small table/high crown CBI..:whistle:

foxinsox

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've told my DH I'd like to upgrade my OEC for our 10th anniversary as it'll also be my 50th birthday shortly afterwards. How big will be determined by the cash reserves and what's available of course but I would like to get to 2-2.5 or 3 carats if possible. And maybe light brown if I can find it but they seem to be very uncommon.
Upgrading is not a thing here in NZ at all - the more traditional thing seems to be to get eternity rings for anniversaries but I don't like them. Our dollar is also pretty depressingly low against the rest of the world so I would be very lucky to get to 3 carats :lol-2:

jaysonsmom

Ideal_Rock
I originally planned on adding a 1 carat increment per decade. My original e-ring was 0.81ct rb, and my 10 year anniversary upgrade was 1.81ct rb, and we are coming up on 20 years next year....but my eldest is also entering college next year, so I may postpone that next 1 carat jump until our 30th anniversary, when both kids are done with college/grad school. I'm pretty content with my 1.81ct, and would be happy if I never upgraded, and if I did upgrade to a 2.81 ct rb, it would be the highest I'd go in a rb. I'd probably just improve on the other 3 C's

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I am a planner too. I like to plan ahead for every possible contingency though as we know life often has a way of getting in the way and changing the best laid plans.

I will say that at the moment I have no intention of upgrading my (what I hope and think is) final OEC. Bubbalah is my HG forever OEC. That I can say for sure at this moment. But only time will tell if that is the absolute forever truth for me. :halo:

The setting is another story but no energy to be searching for my HG setting at this time. One day hopefully.

Here is a screenshot photo of her from a video I took just the other day at the beach.

bubbalahatbeachjune.png

ringbling17

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ideally I would love at least a 9.5mm diamond. That would take me to a 3.2- 3.3 carat round. I know I will be happy with that. I had a 3.5 and my current diamond is 3.1. I returned a 3.3 bc I didn’t like the inclusions but was very happy with the size, so I know that size is my sweet spot.
There is currently one diamond that meets my criteria at WF but I can’t justify trading in my current diamond for it. I would only gain .17 mm and I would have to pay a few thousand more, plus go down one clarity grade. I currently have a 3.098 I VS1 and the diamond I saw is a 3.22 I VS2.
I love the clarity in my diamond. It’s super clear and clean. The 3.22 has clouds as it’s only inclusions and also clouds are mentioned in its notes.
So I will wait for now until I see something that I “have to have”. I felt that way with my current diamond and I’m sure I will find that in another.
But it’s also not the end of the world if I keep this one forever. It’s really a beautiful diamond and I can’t find anything wrong with it at all.
And this year I am paying for two of my kids tuitions. One in college and the other in a private high school (which is basically the cost of college), so I really need to be practical.
Maybe I will just change the setting?

bling_dream19

Ideal_Rock
I love my diamond - but YES I am already planning for a larger stone! I use my words carefully with my fiance- not an upgrade, just a larger diamond. I've only had my ring for 3 months and I'm already thinking about next steps! I have a serious illness that you all understand very well.
I'm thinking go to a 1.5-1.9 in my current setting and then next bump 2.1 or larger and go into a 6 prong with diamonds on the band.
Or if the right diamond comes along, then we will do 1 upsize. I always think about inflation and how buying sooner than later probably means getting a better deal. So fun to talk about!

ringbling17

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Or if the right diamond comes along, then we will do 1 upsize. I always think about inflation and how buying sooner than later probably means getting a better deal. So fun to talk about!

That’s a good point and why I’m also hesitant to trade in my diamond. My current diamond would most likely sell for the same price (or more) as the 3.22 that I want. So it almost seems not worth it to trade it in.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results