shape
carat
color
clarity

Long Fingers- Smaller or Larger stone?

mugatu300

Rough_Rock
Hello, my girlfriend is a size 5 with longer fingers. In general, should I get her a size that's larger or smaller than those typically worn by a size 5 with average length fingers? I'm confused because I've seen both sides argued: that longer fingers can accommodate bigger stones and that long fingers can get away with getting a smaller stone compared to average so I'm not sure. Thanks in advance.

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Check out these threads.

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
What is your GF's preferred style?

What kind of rings does she gravitate to, both the rings she owns and wears, and the rings she may comment on?

Remember too, you can propose to GF without a ring, and say something like, choosing just the right ring together is your first joyful act as an engaged couple?

RetroQT

Brilliant_Rock
I think one of the first details that needs to be pinned down is the cut she may prefer. Because with longer fingers she could easily do an elongated cut such as an oval or emerald and pull it off well. But she may be hoping for a round or princess cut. Once you know that, then you can start to consider size.

RetroQT

Brilliant_Rock
She is for sure wanting a round diamond

Do you know if she wants a halo or not? Because that will add to the overall size and halos around round stones can change the shape of the look of the stone (like make it look more like a cushion or an oval for example).

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You can use this tool to help see the relative size of the stone on a size 5 finger. I would go with average or average+ but it
really depends on a lot of other things than her "long" finger length...like budget, average size in your area or her friends/families
average size, her desired size, etc.

Tonks

Brilliant_Rock
If no one has mentioned DSS yet…

Diamonds tend to shrink (diamond shrinkage syndrome). We joke about it here, but it’s regrettably real. What looks large at first will quickly look normal, then start to look small.

When in doubt, go bigger.

RMOO

Brilliant_Rock
If no one has mentioned DSS yet…

Diamonds tend to shrink (diamond shrinkage syndrome). We joke about it here, but it’s regrettably real. What looks large at first will quickly look normal, then start to look small.

When in doubt, go bigger.

This.

Mjay

Brilliant_Rock
Hello, my girlfriend is a size 5 with longer fingers. In general, should I get her a size that's larger or smaller than those typically worn by a size 5 with average length fingers? I'm confused because I've seen both sides argued: that longer fingers can accommodate bigger stones and that long fingers can get away with getting a smaller stone compared to average so I'm not sure. Thanks in advance.

So I’m not sure if this is helpful or not but I am a size 5 finger and I have long fingers. My family used to call them piano playing fingers. I have had many stones of varying shapes and sizes and I can tell you that they all look fantastic. I can rock a smaller stone and it looks sizable but because of my long fingers I can also rock a larger stone without it looking ridiculous. A .5 ct round looks classy and petite but a 4 ct emerald cut looks glamorous but not overkill. My advice is get whatever shape appeals to her and whatever size you can comfortably afford. Shrinkage is definitely a thing so when I’m doubt I’d go with a bit larger. I find that my classy but modest sweet spot for rounds is around 1.25 cts.

seaurchin

Ideal_Rock
I have long fingers and feel like an elongated ring looks best on me. If she wants a round stone, you could still have a halo that's more elongated.

Personally, I'm so glad my husband included me in the choice of ring. A wedding set is so expensive and she'll be the one wearing it daily. Unless she specifically wants to be surprised, why not invite her to help pick out what she prefers?

emmy12

Brilliant_Rock
DSS is accelerated if she becomes a PS member :lol-2:

FWIW here are two identical settings with different centre stone sizes (0.5ct and 1.25ct). I also have long piano fingers, but am a size 6 finger. Personal preference is a big factor, and it's hard to know which way to recommend without knowing her. I have tried on rings with larger centers (3-5ct) just for fun at Tiffany and HW, and also tried on smaller more modest stones in the 0.5 - 1.5 range at the same stores and my personal tastes always tend toward the smaller ones. My thoughts after comparing for 15 minutes in the store was that the 0.5 would be fine to me, but that is just one person's opinion. On the flip side lots of my friend's would look at these two pictures and say "GET THE BIGGER ONE, DUH!"

20220624_204010~2.jpg 20220624_203846_exported_99.jpg

Last edited:

Agnasia

Shiny_Rock
Suffering from DSS right now so I would say go bigger! I also agree that it would be good to involve her, she may not mind right now but over time she may prefer having been involved (just my own personal experience).

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is hard to answer, I don't want to recommend a carat size that will be out of your budget. I would say go a bit bigger as opposed to smaller, again working within whatever budget you have.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results