shape
carat
color
clarity

Location of inclusions...does it matter?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Starry

Rough_Rock
Assuming a diamond is eye-clean, does the location or type of inclusion have any affect on the diamond? For example, on the table v. the perimeter? Impact on the diamond''s performance? Risk of damage?

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
When we were looking I was told that it mattered alot. The same inclusion in one diamond, right in the center of the table would cause it to be graded lower than if it were off to the side in another. *shrugs*

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/8/2006 9:10:27 PM
Author: Gypsy
When we were looking I was told that it mattered alot. The same inclusion in one diamond, right in the center of the table would cause it to be graded lower than if it were off to the side in another. *shrugs*
I am not sure this is true.

>>For example, on the table v. the perimeter? Impact on the diamond''s performance? Risk of damage?

What grade and what type of inclusions?

Starry

Rough_Rock
I don''t have a particular grade or type of inclusion in mind, I was just curious to get people''s opinion on this. The question is probably most relevant in ranges like SI1 - SI2 because I wouldn''t think inclusion in a VS grade would have much effect. Would certain types of inclusions have different impacts?

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
a SI1 will not have any inclusions that affect the performance of the diamond. no matter where it is.

if you had a feather on the edge, I would think that is more prone to chipping than something under the table. both should not reach the surface, of course.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/8/2006 9:46:20 PM
Author: JulieN
a SI1 will not have any inclusions that affect the performance of the diamond. no matter where it is.

if you had a feather on the edge, I would think that is more prone to chipping than something under the table. both should not reach the surface, of course.
I would tend to agree about this. The only way that inclusions would affect the performance of the diamond was if the stone had tons of them to where they would affect and/or hinder light return...maybe I1 or I2 even...if a feather or similar reaches the girdle and a good hard knock is given there, it could chip or cleave, but it could also chip along an exposed area without a feather depending on the hit it takes.

Some experts prefer the inclusions under the table where the intense sparkle of the diamond is better at masking them, others prefer them off to the edges where maybe they can be hidden under or near a prong tip. It just depends on preferences!!

DiamondExpert

Brilliant_Rock
location is important - surface-reaching is important - feather vs. cleavage (4 planes of cleavage) is important.

Starry

Rough_Rock
Thanks Gary! But I didn''t understand much of that. Is there a link or article that deals with this topic? Thanks!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks Gary. I had heard that from two separate jewelers (in two different states) and from my apraiser... so I was pretty sure it was right. But it's nice to have it confirmed.
9.gif

As for performance-- we were looking at step cuts (asschers)... and from what I understood the standards for location are different than for brilliant cuts.

firsttimepurchaser

Rough_Rock
Would the location of these inclusions be bad on a round brilliant cut?

Picture2.png

Here is diamond info:
AGS Ideal 0: http://www.bluenile.com/viewcert.asp?pid=LD00414392&zoom=1
Price: $2,186.00
Carat weight: 0.78
Cut: Ideal
Color: J
Clarity: SI1
Depth %: 61.9%
Table %: 54%
Symmetry: Ideal
Polish: Ideal
Girdle: Medium to slightly thick
Culet: None
Fluorescence: Negligible
Measurements: 5.90x5.94x3.66 mm
HCA: 1.1 - Excellent
Factor Grade
Light Return Excellent
Fire Excellent
Scintillation Excellent
Spread or diameter for weight Very Good

Thanks for any info you can offer. You guys and girls are great!

DiamondExpert

Brilliant_Rock
1sttime - I think the location of that crystal group is fine, especially if colorless - but have it checked to make sure it''s eye clean.

Generally, in step cut diamonds it''s easier to see inclusions (and color) than in brilliant cuts.

firsttimepurchaser

Rough_Rock
Date: 5/9/2006 7:01:20 PM
Author: DiamondExpert
1sttime - I think the location of that crystal group is fine, especially if colorless - but have it checked to make sure it''s eye clean.

Thank you for your advice.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results