shape
carat
color
clarity

Local Or Online

Messiah62

Rough_Rock
I have been shopping around trying to compare online diamond prices (Blue Nile) vs some of my local places (Borshiems, chains, and Nebraska Diamond). Off of their websites, it doesn't seem like the local places can even compete with Blue Niles prices. Will they really bargain that much? I imagine it being like a car dealership when negotiating with them.

I have come across these diamonds and would like opinions:

Diamond 1:
Size: 1.20 Carat
Color: H
Cut: Very Good
Clarity: SI2
Cost: $5442.00
http://www.bluenile.com/round-diamond-1-carat-very-good-cut-h-color-si2-clarity_LD03092909?keyword_search_value=LD03092909

Diamond 2:
Size: 1.20 Carat
Color: I
Cut: Very Good
Clarity: VVS1
Cost: $6425.00
http://www.bluenile.com/round-diamond-1-carat-very-good-cut-i-color-vvs1-clarity_LD03669850

Nebraska Diamond (local) told me that they could sell me a the following:
Diamond 3:
Size: 1.27 Carat
Color: H
Cut: Excellent
Clarity: VS2
Other: 7mm x 6.97mm, it has a 61.3% depth and a 55% table
Cost: $7400.00

I can afford all of them, but would like to keep the price as low as possible. I plan on going with a platinum setting.

Thanks for the help!

ChristineRose

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Blue Nile is cheap because they do not own any of these diamonds. They are in vaults somewhere in the world and if you buy one they will be shipped from wherever they are without ever being touched by anyone at Blue Nile. They cannot give you a picture,or tell you anything more about the stones than you can tell from a certificate.

Diamond number one is an SI2, which means it almost certainly has visible inclusions. Will they bother you? There's no way to tell.

Diamond number two is a very good cut, which actually is not that good. It's possible for a very good cut diamond to still be lovely, but you can't evaluate it without info Blue Nile can't give you. It also has strong blue fluorescence, which is usually irrelevant and drives the price down, but which also has a small chance of making the diamond look funny in sunlight.

Diamond number three is at least a possibility.

Chains are generally not good value. Their stones appear inexpensive because they focus on low color, included, or badly cut stones. Low color and inclusions are not automatically a bad thing, but they make a tremendous difference in price and the chains don't sell them for a fair price.

There are local jewelers whose prices are Blue Nile + a fair price for the trouble of actually having stones they can show you and tell you about. It's not clear if there is one near you though.

The third approach would be to find a jewelry store that is nowhere near you but whose prices are Blue Nile + a fair price for the trouble of actually having stones they can show you pictures of and tell you about + the cost of shipping to you. That's the approach most Pricescopers end up with.

ecf8503

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Round brilliant?

1) Stick with GIA or AGS stones only. Look for AGS 0 (ideal light performance) or GIA XXX. Look at the certs, plug the numbers in here https://www.pricescope.com/tools/hca and only look at stones that score under 2. Then get an idealscope image.

2) I personally wouldn't buy an SI2 sight unseen

3) There's nothing inherently wrong with fluorescence - I have one with strong blue and it is the coolest effect! A very small percent (like 0.2%) of all stones will show milkiness or haziness in sunlight. Don't discount a stone automatically because it has it.

4) Post your budget here, tell us what you are looking for, and let us help you. There are a lot of highly recommended online vendors that will provide light performance assessments (you want it to sparkle, right? Cut quality is what determines this - not color or clarity. Don't skimp on cut quality!)

Start looking here:

James Allen
Whiteflash
Brian Gavin
Good Old Gold

ecf8503

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Both of your BN stones score over a 3 on the HCA - "worth buying only if the price is right".

And the inclusion plot on the SI2 is scary - lots of stuff right under the table; I'd be surprised if it's eye clean

You can do much better. Just let us know what your budget and objectives are.

thediamondshopper

Rough_Rock
Trade
There is never any harm in negotiating, there are alot of jewelry stores out there and they must vie for your business. So Id say fire away and mention online prices, and if they cant compete maybe they can meet you somewhere in the middle.

Regarding your choices the two from bluenile are not what I would call fantastically cut diamonds, they both have enormously steep crown angles 36-37d, and are generally quite deep at close to or greater than 63% depth. So even though they are 1.2ct stones they will look more like 1.1's face up (6.6-6.7mm girdle diameter). Also because there will likely be light leakage they will not be as bright as an ideally cut stone and will look smaller (think of how black is slimming and white makes things look larger).

From what I can your preference is towards as large a diamond as you can get that will be eye clean and look nice and white. If I am correct in saying this your best bet would be to find an Ideal cut AGS 000 with an H-I color grade and an SI1-SI2 clarity (confirm it to be eye clean) some where in the 1.1-1.2 range 6.7-7mm. With a bit of searching you should find something within your stated budget. Shopping online can be a great experience with significant savings if you work with trusted vendors with good return policies.

Mico

Brilliant_Rock
I would add ID Jewelry in NYC to the list people suggested above. They usually price match other vendors and then some. They seem to be the go-to for the budget conscious (like me, I eventually bought my ring through them)

Messiah62

Rough_Rock
ecf8503|1381800375|3537806 said:
Both of your BN stones score over a 3 on the HCA - "worth buying only if the price is right".

And the inclusion plot on the SI2 is scary - lots of stuff right under the table; I'd be surprised if it's eye clean

You can do much better. Just let us know what your budget and objectives are.

Thanks for all of the information. I am looking to spend around $6000-7500 including the setting. The setting is pretty simple for me since I just want a platinum solitaire (2.5mm). I would like the diamond to be around 1.20+ct.

Mico

Brilliant_Rock
Messiah62 said:

I would call yekutiel and have him pull from their database, try to keep to GIA or AGS stones if you can. He usually gives a pricescope discount and stays within budget. I got a great deal on my stone, which was from the blue nile signature selection - I got it loads cheaper than the Blue Nile advertised price, too

bunnycat

Ideal_Rock
Mico|1381860553|3538139 said:
Messiah62 said:

I would call yekutiel and have him pull from their database, try to keep to GIA or AGS stones if you can. He usually gives a pricescope discount and stays within budget. I got a great deal on my stone, which was from the blue nile signature selection - I got it loads cheaper than the Blue Nile advertised price, too

Second this. I would let Yekutiel find you a good one. Just call and ask and tell him what your budget and preferences are.

Messiah62

Rough_Rock
bastetcat|1381862768|3538161 said:
Messiah62 said:

Second this. I would let Yekutiel find you a good one. Just call and ask and tell him what your budget and preferences are.

Does ID Jewelery = Yekutiel?

Mico

Brilliant_Rock
Messiah62 said:
Messiah62 said:

Yes, though any of them can help you, most on pricescope have worked with yekutiel - he tends to be the unofficial pricescope vendor there. Mention the site and he'll know to send you things such as an idealscope and etc (on top of giving you a pricescope discount)

Messiah62

Rough_Rock
Mico|1381868028|3538223 said:
Messiah62 said:
Messiah62 said:

Yes, though any of them can help you, most on pricescope have worked with yekutiel - he tends to be the unofficial pricescope vendor there. Mention the site and he'll know to send you things such as an idealscope and etc (on top of giving you a pricescope discount)

How do I pronounce that so I dont butcher it when I call?

Mico

Brilliant_Rock
Messiah62 said:
Mico|1381868028|3538223 said:
Messiah62 said:
Messiah62 said:

How do I pronounce that so I dont butcher it when I call?

Haha, I probably butcher it when I call! :/

I'll let someone who knows better respond. I always think: yeh-ku-till (fingers crossed I'm not also butchering it)

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I pronounce it
Ye Ku Tee-el

:confused:

Messiah62

Rough_Rock
Messiah62 said:

So this one in the link above is certified by EGL. Does that mean that this rock is a little shady? It seems like a really good deal for the price.

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm assuming EGL I means International, infamous for its looser grading.

Stick to ideal cut GIA and AGS graded stones.

Messiah62

Rough_Rock
Messiah62|1381872218|3538263 said:
Messiah62 said:

So this one in the link above is certified by EGL. Does that mean that this rock is a little shady? It seems like a really good deal for the price.

I talked to him about this diamond and he said that EGL is a little off and it more so a K. He is looking into a few other diamonds for me that are a little smaller (1.20-1.30).

In the mean time, I will continue to look:
What are your thoughts on these:
http://www.ritani.com/diamonds/round-diamond-1-27-Carat-I-color-GIA-certified/D-C2V03N
http://www.ritani.com/diamonds/round-diamond-1-23-Carat-I-color-GIA-certified/D-TR2YSP

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
First one too deep.

Second one is probably too deep, a picture or Ideal Scope would clear it up.

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The 1.20 looks better.

Messiah62

Rough_Rock
JulieN|1381875985|3538312 said:
The 1.20 looks better.

The 1.20 gets a 2.7 on HCA which means "Very Good - Worth buying if the price is right".

The 1.27 however gets a 5.4 which means "Good - Only if price is your main criterion"

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Reject rounds scroring over 2.0 on the HCA.
Get an Iealscope pic on those that score under 2.0.

Compare them to this.

idealscope_ref_35.png

Mico

Brilliant_Rock
Gypsy said:
I pronounce it
Ye Ku Tee-el

:confused:

Ha, I think I've used that version too.

P.s. OP, gypsy really helped us when we first started on this forum and helped us narrow down our stone. She's the person who initially suggested IDJ to us :)

Messiah62

Rough_Rock
I would just like it to be eye clean.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results