shape
carat
color
clarity

Local jeweler vs a Leon mege or victor canera?

lioness88

Rough_Rock
Hi all! Loooong time lurker. For years have loved Leon’s work and even had an ex boyfriend years ago visit with Leon for a 19B84069-1C36-4A53-8687-17B0742D92D5.jpeg proposal that never ended up happening!

Anyway, I’m starting to look at rings for my current relationship and although I’ve always loved the idea of owning a Leon, I’m also loyal to my local jeweler. After I got a New watch from him, out of curiosity I asked to see his selection of e-rings.

The one he showed me had a beautiful setting with very delicate prongs. The pic is attached here-thoughts? It was a 2.2 carat E eye clean SI-1 I believe ideal cut. The setting plus diamond was about 25k which seemed great price. The setting has pave around half the band and little diamonds in the basket (is that called melee?). Anyway that is my HG ring except I'd like a solitaire with no pave, but diamonds in the melee; a double prong if I went to a master such as Leon.

Have never seen a Leon IRL by the way. Just wondering your opinions on how that might compare. Especially since a part of me would love to support a local jeweler. Thanks!!! 6A27B3CF-DDE9-4030-9FEC-FF504F2B11A6.jpeg

Last edited:

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The local jeweler might be a good one, but I'd have to see more of his custom work to be sure. Whether or not that is a good deal for that particular ring would require seeing the GIA report. But if you are going with a modern round, it makes a lot more sense to select a diamond and then have the jeweler make the setting. I'd go with Victor over LM just because I think he is a fine person as well as a master jeweler.

Whatever you do,when the time comes, come here to show the diamond options and we can show you some options, too. Local jewelers, in general, don't usually offer the best pricing or the best cut stones.

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Where are you located? Maybe for 25k purchase it is worth a trip to NYC to see leon and/or steven kirsch's work? Or go to LA to see Victor's work?

lioness88

Rough_Rock
ah so true @diamondseeker2006 ; I should have asked for the reports. And I would def want to sign off on the diamond and go for a lower color and impeccable cut per PS recommendations! ;-) I will try to get bf looped into this website if/when he starts looking ;-)

@PintoBean, I am in Texas. Perhaps should support Brian Gavin because he is Texas based right? I lived in NYC for several years, which is why I'm familiar with Leon's and SK's work. *drool* for some reason i have a special fixation on Leon's work and have heard he is not much more expensive then Brian Gavin so why not just go with Leon at that point?

Yes--I should try to get BF to take a look in either NYC or LA...!

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Leon or Victor definitely have much, much more delicate and refined work and proportions. Based on what I see, that ring looks like a standard nicer ring, but not the quality of Leon or Victor.

Other questions to ask your local jeweler - did he set that diamond/do the prongwork or would whoever did that be setting yours? Not all setters are equal. If you like those prongs, you want to make sure the work is being done by someone who can do those prongs.

Another note: I don't know if it's just your photography but to me the prongs look both a little lopsided and different from each other. That is fine - my own engagement ring has that going on, but I don't particularly care about prongs as long as they hold the stone in so if you do, it's worth noticing that they don't look perfect on that picture.

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
ah so true @diamondseeker2006 ; I should have asked for the reports. And I would def want to sign off on the diamond and go for a lower color and impeccable cut per PS recommendations! ;-) I will try to get bf looped into this website if/when he starts looking ;-)

@PintoBean, I am in Texas. Perhaps should support Brian Gavin because he is Texas based right? I lived in NYC for several years, which is why I'm familiar with Leon's and SK's work. *drool* for some reason i have a special fixation on Leon's work and have heard he is not much more expensive then Brian Gavin so why not just go with Leon at that point?

Yes--I should try to get BF to take a look in either NYC or LA...!

Also, why not just pick out the ring entirely together? Visit the jeweler together, decide on every aspect together? That is what I did and I ended up with EXACTLY what I wanted. Don't just turn the poor boy loose when you already have more knowledge! Start your partnership with joint shopping. :D

CSpan

Brilliant_Rock
Leon or Victor definitely have much, much more delicate and refined work and proportions. Based on what I see, that ring looks like a standard nicer ring, but not the quality of Leon or Victor.

Other questions to ask your local jeweler - did he set that diamond/do the prongwork or would whoever did that be setting yours? Not all setters are equal. If you like those prongs, you want to make sure the work is being done by someone who can do those prongs.

Another note: I don't know if it's just your photography but to me the prongs look both a little lopsided and different from each other. That is fine - my own engagement ring has that going on, but I don't particularly care about prongs as long as they hold the stone in so if you do, it's worth noticing that they don't look perfect on that picture.

Ditto on the prongs, I am paranoid because I cleaved off a prong and had original bought my ring with super delicate prongs that literally needed tightening every week ( hence I got them re-tipped). Prong game must be strong.

If you are in Texas why not take a road trip down to Whiteflash and look at some stones, just to get a feel for what you can or can't tolerate.

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would be very very surprised if a local jeweler could be comparable to either Leon or Victor. However, it also depends on what you are looking for. Leon's pave is amazing in my opinion. I prefer it over Victors in photos. Not to say that Victors isn't excellent. It is.
You will need a pretty good setting budget for both. If it is your dream ring then there is no question. One other thing to bear in mind, some rings can be delicate. I have a Leon but received it for a 30th anniversary. I was done with kids and the years that can be hard on jewelry. I haven't lost a single stone from it but it is slightly off round and the migraine needs a touch up. I have worn it 10 years now.
It would be a good idea, if you are young to get a ring that would hold up well. That is just my 2 cents. The heart wants what the heart wants.

lioness88

Rough_Rock

Wow @distracts I didn’t even notice that un-even-ness. Now that I see it I know that sort of thing would def bother me!

lioness88

Rough_Rock
Also, why not just pick out the ring entirely together? Visit the jeweler together, decide on every aspect together? That is what I did and I ended up with EXACTLY what I wanted. Don't just turn the poor boy loose when you already have more knowledge! Start your partnership with joint shopping. :D

Haha omg great idea, that would be my ideal. I will def try to do that.

lioness88

Rough_Rock
Ditto on the prongs, I am paranoid because I cleaved off a prong and had original bought my ring with super delicate prongs that literally needed tightening every week ( hence I got them re-tipped). Prong game must be strong.

If you are in Texas why not take a road trip down to Whiteflash and look at some stones, just to get a feel for what you can or can't tolerate.

Oh wow thank you for that insight for some reason I knew what whiteflash was but had no idea they were in Texas as well! I have family in all the major cities so I willl definitely find a way to check them out too!

lioness88

Rough_Rock
I would be very very surprised if a local jeweler could be comparable to either Leon or Victor. However, it also depends on what you are looking for. Leon's pave is amazing in my opinion. I prefer it over Victors in photos. Not to say that Victors isn't excellent. It is.
You will need a pretty good setting budget for both. If it is your dream ring then there is no question. One other thing to bear in mind, some rings can be delicate. I have a Leon but received it for a 30th anniversary. I was done with kids and the years that can be hard on jewelry. I haven't lost a single stone from it but it is slightly off round and the migraine needs a touch up. I have worn it 10 years now.
It would be a good idea, if you are young to get a ring that would hold up well. That is just my 2 cents. The heart wants what the heart wants.

Hm interesting. I just want a solitaire...have just always loved Leon’s construction even for solitaires i can tell how gorgeous his work is. At most would want diamonds on that basket (is what some jewelers call a halo on the basket underneath the main diamond) or whatever you call it. But yes I can totally relate to the heart wants what it wants - lol!

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hm interesting. I just want a solitaire...have just always loved Leon’s construction even for solitaires i can tell how gorgeous his work is. At most would want diamonds on that basket (is what some jewelers call a halo on the basket underneath the main diamond) or whatever you call it. But yes I can totally relate to the heart wants what it wants - lol!

Leon’s setting have a fluidity that I don’t often see in other designers. Have you looked at Mark Morrell? He has that fluidity as well. I love Victor Canera but I think both Leon and Mark Morrell have something extra. At least, it is what my eye sees.

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
As a side note, I didn’t have any issue working with Leon.

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
As a durability issue, Victor’s work has been very solid for me. I put my bead set pave eternity band in the ultrasonic at least once a week and no issues. I’ve had it for almost five years now. I don’t own a Leon but I do love his work. However, if I had one, just from posts from owners, my impression is that I need to baby his pieces a bit more than I would probably VC’s.

rainydaze

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I recall that years back a few PSers had issues with Leon's delicate settings. One poster in particular, Harriet, used him for many settings and had a strong working relationship with him. Her simple solitaire that had a 1.8mm wide shank that didn't hold up. Around the same time, a few other PSers started experiencing similar issues. I don't recall all the particulars, but I seem to remember Leon was not pleasant about it and it came out that his settings were not made to be worn often, even an everyday solitaire. There was a disconnect with what he provided and what people expected.

All that to say, make sure you understand how you wish to wear your engagement ring. Make that part of the conversation with any designer that you use to ensure that your expectations line up with the product you choose.

Edited: got mixed up with another poster's setting choice!

Donnass117

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I did some shopping around in LA and didn't see any stores that had the fine detail and prongs that these custom hand made jewelers have. I've only seen photos of Leon Mege and Victor Canera pieces, but they look gorgeous, so much better than anything I saw locally. I had my rings done by Maytal Hannah, and she does a fine job. I have a rose gold ring with a band that is 1.6mm and has held up wonderfully, you might want to try her. Good luck, I can't wait to see what you end up with. 633738

lioness88

Rough_Rock
wow that maytal is incredibly gorgeous I think I drooled a little bit. thanks for the input!!!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results