shape
carat
color
clarity

Local Jeweler is a GIA grader?? or a scam artist?

diamondquestion1

Rough_Rock
I went to a jewelry store today (http://www.internationalgoldanddiamond.com/) and the owner was showing me diamonds. He told me they were all GIA graded, which sounded good to me. But then he kept saying this is a J-K color or that's a G-H color, and I asked what color it was because if they are GIA graded they would give you a single grade. He claims that he is telling me what he thinks they are but that he won't grade them until he sells them. He pointed to a certificate on his wall and said he can GIA grade them like they do in the labs in New York or California and that he wouldn't risk his certificate on a $2500 ring like I'm looking for. He claims every ring he sells will come with a GIA certificate.

After I asked him why he was quoting two colors he then referred to the diamonds as the lower of the two he had previously told me. I also asked him about the cut grading and he told me that its a roudn brilliant, so I said no what is the GRADING of the cut and he told me they don't grade cuts. I told him on a GIA certificate it should say excellent, very good etc. He then backpedalled and said he thought I meant like a letter for the cut grade, and said that diamond would be good to very good.

I saw some other moves that he thought were slick. I had told him my budget is about $2500 and he showed be a few rings with price tags for 2599 that he would sell for 2400. Then he pulled one out and I saw it said $1999, he quickly ripped the tag off as he was still taking it out of the display and tells the girl in the back to bring him his tags and tells me that this one is also $2400.

Anyway, my gut instinct is that this guy isn't certified by GIA to be grading diamonds, but maybe I'm wrong and the diamonds he has in there actually are decently priced and legitimately graded. Let me know what you experts say.

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
GIA offers courses on diamond grading, but if a GIA graduate grades a diamond, that does not mean that it is GIA-graded. Just as getting tutored by a Harvard graduate doesn't mean you have gotten a Harvard education. Unless he has the GIA grading report, or another lab grading report, they're not actually graded diamonds. This guy actually sounds like he doesn't know that much, and I don't like the thing he did with the price tag on that one ring. I'd look elsewhere.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Believe the GIA report's grades.
They outrank this guy's "grades".

Frankly I'd not give this guy my business.

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
RUN.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Do not go Back!

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
GIA doesn't certify anyone or anything. They operate a college from which most US gemologists graduated (including me) and they operate a lab where they give opinions on diamonds and other things. Neither of these is what they call certified. They can't revoke his diploma even if they wanted so I'm not sure what risk he's alluding to. Graduating from GIA does not make him a capable grader,failure to graduate doesn't make someone bad and it does not give him the ability to call a stone 'GIA certified' either way.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
WOW. :-o

Total scam and bullsh*t artist. And bad vendor. RUN AWAY FAST!

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gypsy|1345500721|3254565 said:
WOW. :-o

Total scam and bullsh*t artist. And bad vendor. RUN AWAY FAST!

Totally agree - he sounds as sleazy as they come! Do not give him your time let alone your business!

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results