shape
carat
color
clarity

Live Music Question

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

SarahLovesJS

Ideal_Rock
For anyone who is having live music or had live music for their ceremony, how did you hire them? Did you have an audition or just listen to samples and sign a contract? I found a great person locally, but I am wondering if I should sign a contract without meeting them face to face and seeing them perform. They''re on my venue''s recommended list, and I listened to samples on their website.

mrs.ROC

Rough_Rock
For ours, the band performed at a local bar weekly, so i knew they were a good group. i called the band ahead of time of their performance that evening to let them know i was interested in coming by if i had time, to watch and hear their performance live. while on the phone, i was able to inquire if they had performed at weddings before and our venue to know if they were familiar with our venue''s location and their sound environment. just be sure they are available for your date, and if they have a contract. that''s important!!! good luck!!

ladyciel

Brilliant_Rock
We found our guitarist online and listened to samples on his website. When I contacted him to ask about his availability, we found out that his standard procedure is to have the couple visit his home so he can play for them and help them make their song selections. We signed the contract and paid the deposit after that meeting.

Have you contacted the person you found yet? I would ask if they have any upcoming performances where you could hear them play, or if they would be able/willing to sit down with you so you could hear some of the music in person. At worst they''re too busy or want to charge you for the service, in which case you can make the judgment call about whether you trust the recordings and recommendations enough to do without.

SarahLovesJS

Ideal_Rock
Hello! Yep, I''ve talked to them. It looks like they''re okay with just contracting right now if I like their music. But, I agree I think it might be best to ask if there''s any way to meet them in person or see a performance since they are local.
33.gif

Elmorton

Ideal_Rock
We wanted a wind trio - ended up with a string trio and a trumpet player :)

Anyway, we contacted a local university that is known for its performing arts. One of the professors there basically acted as an agent and arranged the group and consulted with us on musical selections, etc.

mrs.ROC

Rough_Rock
sarah, try asking your band if they are playing locally anywhere where you can view, or see if they have any upcoming "wedding" performance you can view. some may not want you there during another wedding, but doesnt hurt to ask. depending on the "upcoming wedding", if the band feels comfortable enough, they may ask the bride if it''s ok, you come for a peek. if that option doesn''t work, ask your band if they had anyone you could call as a reference. i''m sure they would not mind doing that, and by contacting someone who has used them may give you peace of mind. good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results