carat
color
clarity

Little vintage sapphire&diamond cluster toi&moi

MaisOuiMadame

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi PSers!
Went to a a high end auction last week-end just to gaze at the exquisite pieces.
This caught my eye and I tried it and BAM... LOVE
It looked kind of blah on the catalogue, but on the hand it shows that someone knew what they where doing. The two elements are curved juuuuust the right way to sit gracefully at exactly the right spot on the finger.

I had an itch for a splash of blue, I've been looking at swoopy toi & moi designs and flowery clusters. This one has elements of each rolled into one without being a hot mess. .. Since it was an auction they only guarantee that it's 18 k wg, natural sapphire and diamonds, but no specs. Since I got it for the design and all stones are eye clean to me, I'm totally OK with this. IMG_20190403_114353.jpg IMG_20190403_102110.jpg IMG_20190403_101855.jpg IMG_20190403_114017.jpg IMG_20190403_102647.jpg ETA:EXCUSE the horrible pics, please and the lint. I am just a horrible photographer

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Very interesting and unique design! The stones look good and I love the contrast between the white diamonds and blue sapphire!

Gussie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is very unique and beautiful! Love it! :love:

MaisOuiMadame

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Very interesting and unique design! The stones look good and I love the contrast between the white diamonds and blue sapphire!
thank you missgotrocks! The diamonds are definitely colorless and loupe clean... I'd say early mrb and the sapphire has some colour zoning (darker on the top), but is sooo close to my ideal colour. I've been enjoying the little fire cracker immensely.. =)2

MaisOuiMadame

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks ceg! It's funny how minute details make this so flattering on the hand ... It doesn't photograph well, though.. But partly because of this there was less competition in the auction.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lovely! The white and the blue together is :love:

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
How unusual! I can see how it would look a bit meh on paper, but it really works in real life!

MaisOuiMadame

Ideal_Rock
Premium
How unusual! I can see how it would look a bit meh on paper, but it really works in real life!
Thanks Alex, I was lucky to be at the right auction at the right time

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What a sweet and fun vintage ring! Love the blue with the white stones. Really pops!

pokerface

Brilliant_Rock
I would have an expert look at the sapphire to determine if it's a synthetic, especially since you said the auction guaranteed a natural sapphire. Hope you got a good price either way!

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What a cool ring! This diamonds look really good too, I know they can't guarantee specs but from the pics they look great. Love all the little prongs too.

MaisOuiMadame

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks, @StephanieLynn!!
Good point, @pokerface. The auctioneers here are legally bound to their minimum assessment. Which I have in writing. Their gemmologist is independent. It says natural and heated.

kgizo

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Very cool design!! Great find!!

westjenn

Brilliant_Rock
Looooove that sapphire! Great color and so unique.

caolsen

Brilliant_Rock
Hi PSers!
Went to a a high end auction last week-end just to gaze at the exquisite pieces.
This caught my eye and I tried it and BAM... LOVE
It looked kind of blah on the catalogue, but on the hand it shows that someone knew what they where doing. The two elements are curved juuuuust the right way to sit gracefully at exactly the right spot on the finger.

I had an itch for a splash of blue, I've been looking at swoopy toi & moi designs and flowery clusters. This one has elements of each rolled into one without being a hot mess. .. Since it was an auction they only guarantee that it's 18 k wg, natural sapphire and diamonds, but no specs. Since I got it for the design and all stones are eye clean to me, I'm totally OK with this. IMG_20190403_114353.jpg IMG_20190403_102110.jpg IMG_20190403_101855.jpg IMG_20190403_114017.jpg IMG_20190403_102647.jpg ETA:EXCUSE the horrible pics, please and the lint. I am just a horrible photographer

Very pretty stone, great shade of blue. Love the auction, vintage shop finds!

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
The sapphire is a beautiful color..and the diamonds are so pretty together! Great find!

pokerface

Brilliant_Rock
Not all gemologists are created equal. I highly recommend moving this thread to "colored stones" and getting a recommendation for a gemologist who can verify if the stone is natural or synthetic. The cleanness of the stone makes me suspect that it may be synthetic, or high heat.

Thanks, @StephanieLynn!!
Good point, @pokerface. The auctioneers here are legally bound to their minimum assessment. Which I have in writing. Their gemmologist is independent. It says natural and heated.

MaisOuiMadame

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Not all gemologists are created equal. I highly recommend moving this thread to "colored stones" and getting a recommendation for a gemologist who can verify if the stone is natural or synthetic. The cleanness of the stone makes me suspect that it may be synthetic, or high heat.
Thank you @pokerface. You're absolutely right if the colored stone is the main concern. But I'm OK with heat, as I said this was bought mainly for the design and colour. I'm not in the US, so I'd only be taking it to a local gemmologist (again) or eventually one in a different European country (have a contact in Idar Oberstein) for export fees and high shipping costs . The auctioneers here have a special status : "commissaire priseur". Appointed by the authorities. If they grossly misrepresented the goods (aka synthetic) , they'd be in BIG trouble. Price was OK. It was only a smidge more than my last custom setting (cad /cast with DK). So I consider the three colorless loupe clean diamonds and the sapphire free, if that makes sense. The appraisal or even lab report would be roughly another 300-400€ inkl insured shipping both ways etc, so I won't bother this time. Just wanted to clarify and stress for any lurkers that in any other case I'm a strong advocate for double checking all this!

pokerface

Brilliant_Rock
A local gemologist should be able to tell the difference between a natural and synthetic sapphire for much less than the cost of a full report. Even if their gemologist is supposedly independent, he/she might be not be particularly reputable. I would take it to someone you trust for a quick look, just for peace of mind.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results