shape
carat
color
clarity

Little scamming rant

ArielleB

Shiny_Rock
I'm pretty new to all this, and like any good pricescoper I read the scammer warning topic in the preloved jewels section. And I suddenly realised why soooo many people I contacted on loupe troop and diamond bistro either wouldn't sell to me, or didn't even reply! I think it's really, really smart to be aware of the dangers of online selling/overseas postage, but just want to put it out there that not every Australian who contacts you about your jewels is trying to scam you! I've missed out on some amazing buys because that guy wanted things posted via Australia, grrr.

Is there some way to verify how virtuous and earnest and honestly desirous of your goods one might be, so as to circumvent this stigma?

Or...have I got it wrong? Are there other reasons people don't want to post internationally???

:confused:

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock
It's harder to claim insurance if something goes missing in transit, and I'm always a nervous wreck until my buyer tells me it arrived safe and sound. That's why I don't sell Internationally anymore. I would love to, but the risk is too high. :(

ArielleB

Shiny_Rock
Thanks, Fortekitty! I get that, I've posted a few things to the US, and I'm always a bit nervous as well. I always pay more and get insured and trackable postage; luckily I've never had anything go missing. If I had, is it difficult to get money back?! I had no idea.

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock
I hope to never find out what the claims process is like! A few times I've shipped overseas, the delivery person just left the package outside and didn't require a signature. If someone stole it, I don't know how I'd be able to file a claim if the local post office claims it was delivered.

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It is tricky mailing jewelry and loose gemstones from the US to international countries.

For example, according to the USPS webpage stating Country Restrictions for Mailing to Australia (http://pe.usps.com/text/imm/ab_012.htm):

- loose precious stones are prohibited altogether from being shipping from the US to Australia.

- jewelry items must be shipped via Priority Mail International (apx $25.00) and insured (limited to $3,644 max value at a cost of $45), and if you choose to include the more secure Registered Mail service, that's an additional $13.25 -- and I believe Registered Mail is the only way you can actually track the package from shipment to delivery. But once you pay for Registered Mail, insurance recovery is limited to $45.59 regardless of the value of the item and any insurance coverage purchased.

[Note: "Precious stones" is not really defined, and in the past I have shipped inexpensive loose semi-precious stones to some international countries via Registered Mail, declared as geologic or mineral specimens on the customs forms - but in each case I assumed the full risk of loss]

Asscherhalo_lover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'll do it. I've shipped to Canada and AUS but I'll only do it via registered mail and fully insured.

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock
I used to send via Registered Mail until I read this:

"Restrictions
Jewelry is permitted only when sent as an insured parcel using Priority Mail International service."

Plus, as Marymm said, once you pay for Registered, you're limited to how much you can claim if it goes missing. Too risky.

Hera

Ideal_Rock
Slightly off topic, but ebay just began offering a global shipping program where you sell overseas and then you send the package to a US shipping center and then THEY forward the items. They deal with the customs stuff and the postage arrangements and you have sellers protection in case the package goes missing after it leaves their shipping center.

I haven't read it with a magnifying lens yet but I could see myself using ebay to sell overseas now.

Here's a little more information:http://pages.ebay.com/help/sell/shipping-globally.html#exclusions

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've encountered a couple of people in the US that wouldn't ship to Australia, but mostly they do or I talk them into it. Being a well known P/S member helps you can say here I am, this is me and then people relax and go O.K, much like having a large ebay rating :D

Unfortunately a couple of years ago there was a Nigerian or English scammer who contacted a lot of people selling items on LT and Bistro trying to do some sort of Paypal fraud set up through Australian accounts or he pretended to be Australian or something, so that is possibly another reason why some are leery that and the shipping costs and the possibility of things going missing, not to mention the pain in the backside of duties and taxes if you have to send the items back again.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
marymm|1392437999|3615662 said:
It is tricky mailing jewelry and loose gemstones from the US to international countries.

For example, according to the USPS webpage stating Country Restrictions for Mailing to Australia (http://pe.usps.com/text/imm/ab_012.htm):

- loose precious stones are prohibited altogether from being shipping from the US to Australia.

- jewelry items must be shipped via Priority Mail International (apx $25.00) and insured (limited to $3,644 max value at a cost of $45), and if you choose to include the more secure Registered Mail service, that's an additional $13.25 -- and I believe Registered Mail is the only way you can actually track the package from shipment to delivery. But once you pay for Registered Mail, insurance recovery is limited to $45.59 regardless of the value of the item and any insurance coverage purchased.

[Note: "Precious stones" is not really defined, and in the past I have shipped inexpensive loose semi-precious stones to some international countries via Registered Mail, declared as geologic or mineral specimens on the customs forms - but in each case I assumed the full risk of loss]

Although I have heard/read conflicting things, this is what my research has led me to believe as well. The problem is that as a seller, even if I were to insure it, and despite the low likelihood of loss, I am fairly certain that if it were to go missing, it would be immediately disallowed as an uninsurable item. So I am reluctant. I have sent items on several occasions, and generally do it for lower value items. I have done it once with a higher value item, and the buyer assured me that he would take the risk should the items go missing. But the bottom line is that sending items to Australia is anxiety-inducing no matter what, unfortunately. :(sad

lknvrb4

Ideal_Rock
I shipped my pear diamond to Singapore and never again will I ship international. I was a basket case for a couple of weeks not to mention it was a huge pain to ship from USPS. I tried FedEx and UPS and they would not do it or insure for the amount.

texaskj

Brilliant_Rock
Shipping international is just the biggest pain. I sold a ring on Ebay once to someone in Vancouver and it was ridiculous what the USPS required. (And the amount of time it took to get there.)
My limit with Tan's stuff is $50. It always takes about three weeks from Thailand and forget about tracking. Sally's stuff on Etsy is beautiful, but again, too nail biting for me.

susimoo

Brilliant_Rock
Just an FYI. Every piece I have bought from either loupe troop or diamond bistro I have had to sign for it. It has never just been left on our front door.
If I wasn't home to sign for the package, I had to take the delivery card, my ID and go pick it up in person from my local post office.

I have been very lucky that PS'ers have agreed to send items to me. The Australian postal service seems to have a good link up with USPS. I have also been very fortunate with the many items I have posted from here to the US.

In fact, I think that from OZ to the US and vice versa is one of the more simple international transactions.

I hope we can continue with these transactions. I have truly loved all the pieces I have bought from fellow PS'ers. It has been a wonderful to connect off the boards too.

:wavey:

SparklyOEC

Brilliant_Rock
I have also sold a diamond to someone overseas, and will never do it again. Like others have said, I was a nervous wreck until I heard from the person who bought my item. She chose to wait 3 weeks prior to letting me know that she received it, and then said it was damaged. I offered her a refund if she returned the item, but what she wanted was a reduced price which I wasn't going to do because I had a written inspection letter from my jeweler stating the item was not damaged prior to shipping. Too much risk, not enough money...at least in my case.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results