shape
carat
color
clarity

Link to excellent AGS article on CUT

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

trichrome

Shiny_Rock
Gary,

You know what? Numbers are interesting.... but the more
I'm thinking about it and the more I'm starting to get involved
in the industry, the more I believe that at the end, I will
always trust my eyes... If I find a certain stone filled with life,
I'll buy it.... Now of course you need those certs, to please
those so compulsive internet customers who were trained by
Cut Geeks like you !!
1.gif
1.gif

Trichrome.

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
This is an example of a DiamCalc model using no leakage (black tray) for a steep deep AGS O that leaks inside the table.
Note the darker blue is the effect of blackness and blue from low angle lighting. This area would appear failry dark - what Peter Yantzer would call "murky" or "muddy".

AGS0 steep deep black tray.jpg

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
I know that sometime the little darkness to the left of my table area tends to look somewhat like contrast or even that hard-to-define scintillation. Somewhat interesting. Light leakage along the round edges of the stone tend to show contrast as well.

trichrome

Shiny_Rock
Garry,

When you're looking at any diamond face up, and when you're seeing those
black (darker) triangles alternating with white ones...yes...this contributes to give some life to
the stone....it's like looking at a zebra who's running : you're seeing this pattern in
movment and it gives "something" to the body of the animal...if all zebras were white,
you'll not be as much attracted by them.

This is my artistic point of view.

Trichrome.

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Thricrome that is exactly what the idea of contrast is all about.
The question I am asking is how should dark areas from leakage be handled?
In a nice stone with minimal leakage the star you see through an ideal-scope provides a well dispersed amount of darkness.
In the image I posted above I do not like the dark ring inside the table, and the fact that the out side areas of the stone are returning very little light.

I will show a nice stone that looks very good through an ideal-scope in the 2 AGS type formats - first with no back light:

NiceStone AGS NO backlit.jpg

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Garry I meant MY stone!!! I have some leakage along the edges, and I see the contrast as dark to the brilliance of the diamond's 'white'. There is not so much leakage on the edges that there is NO light return, so the light return that is there, contrasts against the darkness of the leakages...looks somewhat like a scint at times.

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
The nice stone just posted shows that effect too Mara,
But the Steep Deep AGS zero posted above has mainly very low angle blue illumination returning and leakage at the girdle.

An 8* or ACA new line stone has even more light return reight at the edge - so should appear bigger for a given diameter.

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Greetings Mate!!!

Just caught this thread and bookmarked the article. I'll give ya my .02c after reading. You know I love this stuff.
1.gif

Peace,
Rhino

dimonbob

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Thanks Garry,
That was very interesting. I might have to read in several more times to get it through my thick skull.
We keep learning, and learning, and learning. It never stops.

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Please do that Bob.
I have only read it 3 times.
I read the GIA first article 10 or more.

Everyone print it and read it on paper.
Write on it etc.

Then come back and discuss it
1.gif

Boulder

Shiny_Rock
Just bookmarked it and will have to read it soon. Thanks for pointing out this article!

niceice

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks for posting that Gary! An excellent read!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results