Find your jewelry
shape
carat
color
clarity

Lightbox return issues/delays

123ducklings

Brilliant_Rock
There’s been some chat on the “Photos of Lightbox” thread about recent problems and delays getting returns. I am starting a fresh thread so that people can share their experiences, and hopefully the information will be easier to find. Thanks!

Lindsay19

Shiny_Rock
I’ve bought several items from Lightbox since they started shipping to the UK. I’ve been very pleased with the goods and overall the shipping speeds have been impressive as well.

On a minor point, each time I purchase something I get an automatic email asking me to leave a review whereby I will then be given a $25 credit for my next purchase. I never received the credit so I emailed them and was told that I would have automatically got an email straight back with the discount code in it, and I should check my junk mail. They did include the code in their reply but implied I was mistaken in my believe that they had not sent me the code. A sign of things to come!

My opinion of the company declined a few weeks ago when I ordered a pair of earrings. Normally dispatch is within a few hours, with detailed tracking available on the DHL portal. When the goods are picked up from the warehouse by the Courier there is a ‘collected from sender’ entry on the tracking page. In this instance the pickup scan didn’t appear and there were no further updates on the tracking. So after a few days I emailed Lightbox asking them to check the situation. I was told to wait a while longer and to keep an eye on the tracking. Several days later there was no change and I emailed again, only to be told that the goods had definitely left the warehouse. Communication with DHL confirmed that the goods in fact had not been collected. Another email to Lightbox was met with the same “keep waiting” response. Not long after that I received a refund notice from Lightbox.

I was disappointed not to get the earrings (as I had bought the last pair they were no longer in stock) but at least I had my refund. Or so I thought. I had paid by PayPal and I checked both my PayPal account and bank account about a week later. There was nothing showing so I gave it a few more days before sending an email to Lightbox letting them know that there was no evidence of the refund. I was told to wait a bit longer for the funds to clear. I gave it a few more days and then emailed them again explaining that even though it takes a few days for funds to clear back into a bank account, PayPal refunds show up immediately as an entry in a PayPal account. I was told that I had definitely been sent a refund. At this point I realised I was going to have to prove that I didn’t have the refund, so I contacted PayPal and decided to use the on-screen message system so that I would have a retrievable transcript of the conversation. PayPal confirmed that there was no activity at all from Lightbox and that I would see it if there was.

Another email to Lightbox, this time telling them about the PayPal conversation and explaining that PayPal had recommended I instigate a chargeback. Within 24 hours I had another refund notice from Lightbox immediately followed by a PayPal refund notice, the refund suddenly showed up in my PayPal account, and the money went back into my account within a few days. Within moments of receiving the refund I noticed that the missing earrings suddenly went back into stock.

I realise mistakes happen and I will always cut a store some slack. But there were two problems here - firstly I was told the goods had shipped when clearly they had not (and told to keep waiting). Later on I was told I had been given a refund when clearly I had not. Again, told to keep waiting when it was obvious a refund had not been issued.

This is not an isolated incident as another forum member has recently reported the exact same experience. A third forum member pointed out that she had similar problems getting a refund and she is U.S. based.

If things go well and you get your goods then everything is fine, but if something goes wrong then you may have a battle on your hands. My advice is always to pay with PayPal and don't assume you have been refunded - make sure you check your account.

Last edited:

AnastasiaBeaverhausen

Brilliant_Rock
There’s been some chat on the “Photos of Lightbox” thread about recent problems and delays getting returns. I am starting a fresh thread so that people can share their experiences, and hopefully the information will be easier to find. Thanks!

Thank you for starting this thread so others can share their experiences here!

La2020

Shiny_Rock
The Lightbox received the returned necklace on 3rd Feb. 1 week later, there were no news and so I emailed them on 10th Feb. They responded and confirmed that the return has been received back into their warehouse, and assured me that the refund has been processed. They told me to wait for an additional 5-10 business days (8th till 13th Feb) for the refund to appear on the original payment method (mine was done via eNets bank transfer).

Since the website states that Lightbox will send a confirmation email once their team have processed the return, and there was no email of such, I have to email them again on the 17th Feb.

Again Lightbox has assured me that the refund for the return was processed on Mon, Feb 8th. And asked me to wait for until 13th - 18th Feb for the bank to post the refund. Or that I should contact my financial institution for further assistance, which I did.

When I pointedly asked Lightbox for the following details so that I could check on my end:
1) Merchant Reference Code:
2) Transaction Amount:
3) Date and Time of Transaction:
4) Merchant's Name:
5) Authorisation/approval code:
6) Mode of payment, ie; credit or debit:
7) Credit card number (1st 6 digits and the last 4 digits)

Instead of giving me the information, Lightbox suddenly realized that "the refund did not go through" on their end and requested me for more information so that they could process the refund at their end.

However, they did not get back to me yet on whether the refund has been proceed after I have provided them my banking details

In short, until now, I have not received the refund.

If it was not for @Lindsay19's gentle reminder to checkup with them constantly, I would have forgotten about it!

I will keep everyone posted whether if they refunded me, and warn potential buyers of Lightbox (especially the overseas buyers) to think twice before getting anything from them. Since they have this habit of false "confirming" the refund status.

La2020

Shiny_Rock
An update that the refund finally reached me today.

Lightbox's explanation; there was an issue with their cross-border partner’s gateway sometime after the 8th Feb.

However, they did not elaborate on why they have insisted that the refund was successful, and wanted me to follow up at my end.

I will also be documenting what I have experienced in my blog; again I standby my recommendation - be extra careful for anyone who is seeking a refund from Lightbox.

Last edited:

123ducklings

Brilliant_Rock
An update that the refund finally reached me today.

Lightbox explanation; that there was an issue with their cross-border partner’s gateway happened on sometime after the 8th Feb.

However, they did not elaborate on why they have insisted that the refund was successful and wanted me to follow up at my end.

I will also be documenting what I have experienced in my blog; again I standby my recommendation - be extra careful for anyone who is seeking a refund from Lightbox.

Thank you for sharing your experience and the update. I’m glad you finally got your refund!

Be a part of the community It's free, join today!
    Diamonds and Jewelry - Recommended Reads, Part 2
    Diamonds and Jewelry - Recommended Reads, Part 2
    Jewels Of The Week: February 2021
    Jewels Of The Week: February 2021
    February's Throwbacks: Diamonds are Forever
    February's Throwbacks: Diamonds are Forever

Need Something Special?

Get a quote from multiple trusted and vetted jewelers.

Holloway Cut Advisor

Diamond Eye Candy

Click to view full-size image.