shape
carat
color
clarity

Lightbox 2ct decision

TiffanyBlue

Rough_Rock
Hi y’all! So after reading many threads here, I decided to take the plunge and order a Lightbox 2ct round in white. I read that the specs could be hit or miss but couldn’t miss out on the price. I just opened it yesterday and while I’m no expert, I think the color and clarity are pretty good! Can’t see any inclusions with naked eye, doesn’t look overly tinted next to my F1 moissanite.

But, like others in this forum, I have found I don’t love the cut. It has a ring of light leakage near the center that is really only visible in certain lighting when I look at it straight on. Fisheye, I believe? Anywho, I know the 2ct are hard to come by as they usually sell out quickly, so I’m trying to decide whether to return it, try again and order a different one or just take the fact that I have a decent 2ct gem at a good price and go ahead and set it. It will be for an engagement ring upgrade from my moissy.

I saw another PSer who had ordered two diamonds at the same time and was able to compare and keep the better one and I wish I’d done that, but my wallet forbid it! Anyone else had luck with a second stone?

I will post pics soon but it’s hard to capture the effect I’m seeing on camera.

Thanks in advance!
Edited to add pics

Attachments

• 000C985F-4EBD-4637-83F4-3A3DF6849643.jpeg
    000C985F-4EBD-4637-83F4-3A3DF6849643.jpeg
    215.8 KB · Views: 48
  • EF5DAE12-E47C-40AF-952D-7D89CF1E7851.jpeg
    EF5DAE12-E47C-40AF-952D-7D89CF1E7851.jpeg
    232.1 KB · Views: 49

TiffanyBlue

Rough_Rock
Hi y’all! So after reading many threads here, I decided to take the plunge and order a Lightbox 2ct round in white. I read that the specs could be hit or miss but couldn’t miss out on the price. I just opened it yesterday and while I’m no expert, I think the color and clarity are pretty good! Can’t see any inclusions with naked eye, doesn’t look overly tinted next to my F1 moissanite.

But, like others in this forum, I have found I don’t love the cut. It has a ring of light leakage near the center that is really only visible in certain lighting when I look at it straight on. Fisheye, I believe? Anywho, I know the 2ct are hard to come by as they usually sell out quickly, so I’m trying to decide whether to return it, try again and order a different one or just take the fact that I have a decent 2ct gem at a good price and go ahead and set it. It will be for an engagement ring upgrade from my moissy.

I saw another PSer who had ordered two diamonds at the same time and was able to compare and keep the better one and I wish I’d done that, but my wallet forbid it! Anyone else had luck with a second stone?

I will post pics soon but it’s hard to capture the effect I’m seeing on camera.

Thanks in advance!
Edited to add pics

Two more pics in daylight with flash. It doesn’t look too terrible in these but I’m not walking around with a spotlight all day. Haha!
006606C0-DD2E-48C9-8B30-214FF464C44A.jpeg

Attachments

• 956CCF33-39E3-4FDB-BBEE-CB5008DDAB6F.jpeg
    956CCF33-39E3-4FDB-BBEE-CB5008DDAB6F.jpeg
    374.2 KB · Views: 18

FL_runner

Brilliant_Rock
If it’s for a ring, I say return and look for a stone where you can control the cut. I
The price is so tempting but I had the same reaction when I ordered mine! If it were for earrings, a necklace or another type of project I might be swayed, but I think you can spend just a little more and get something with a much nicer cut.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@TiffanyBlue, if you have any doubt, it would be best to return it. At least for me, once I see something that bugs me about a purchase, it never goes away. Best to put that money towards a diamond that you are over the moon about and can’t fathom parting with.

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
Hi, @TiffanyBlue - I agree with everyone else: get something with a better cut to maximize light return and performance.

There's no debating the value of the Lightbox 2 carat: $1600 for what is supposedly graded as G-J color, VS1-VS2 clarity, and (at least) Very Good cut. I say "supposedly" because Lightbox states on their website:
Lightbox website said:
Our leading technology means our lab-grown diamonds are among the highest quality you can find. All Lightbox lab-grown diamonds over 0.20 carats are inscribed within the stone with our mark of quality. This laser inscription is invisible to the naked eye, but signifies that each Lightbox stone has met the internationally recognized standards of the '4 C's'
Which "internationally recognized standards" (because all grading labs will claim that their standards are internationally recognized), exactly?
GIA, AGS, GCAL, IGI, HRD, EGL, GSI, GRA, GGL, AGI, etc?

We can make an assumption of which lab's "internationally recognized grading standards" are being used by Lightbox, but it's still an assumption with no definitive proof until Lightbox/DeBeers comes out and goes on record to reveal that info.

If you need to stick with the $1500 price point, then the option you do have is to send it back, immediately re-order another one the moment your refund is received, and then hope for the best.
If the replacement isn't cut well, then rinse/repeat until you finally get one that does exhibit great light return.
That's going to be a lot of hoop-jumping and will likely lead to raised stress levels and a potential parade of disappointments until "the one" arrives, but...maybe that is the avenue to take if you want to stick with Lightbox and their pricing.

TiffanyBlue

Rough_Rock
Thanks to everyone who replied so far. I think I was just so excited to own a 2ct diamond that I threw cut out the window and now I see the consequences. I brought the stone to work with me so I could see it different types of lighting (in the car, at my desk, under shade tree) and although it does have good sparkle in most conditions, the PSer in me knows the cut can be better so it’s not “mind clean”.

I think I’ll return this one and give it one more shot before I decide to forego the Lightbox route and save up a bit for a lab graded LGD.

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would exchange, my friend got a real beauty.

TiffanyBlue

Rough_Rock
Well, I initiated the return and it actually gave the option to exchange the stone instead of returning it and buying a new one! I’m waiting to see if I get a call or email form Customer Service saying it was a mistake, but until then ol fisheyes is heading back and we’ll see if get something a little better next time.

In the meantime, I’ve looked at the thread with other LGD vendors but off hand can anyone share some of the lower priced sellers? I know I won’t get $1600 for 2ct but also don’t want to pay $7k like some I’ve seen.

Thank you!

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
Well, I initiated the return and it actually gave the option to exchange the stone instead of returning it and buying a new one! I’m waiting to see if I get a call or email form Customer Service saying it was a mistake, but until then ol fisheyes is heading back and we’ll see if get something a little better next time.

In the meantime, I’ve looked at the thread with other LGD vendors but off hand can anyone share some of the lower priced sellers? I know I won’t get $1600 for 2ct but also don’t want to pay $7k like some I’ve seen.

Thank you!

Here is the PriceScope search engine with some adjustments:

Also check out Frank Darling to see if there are any 2ct deals that catch your eye.

TiffanyBlue

Rough_Rock
Here is the PriceScope search engine with some adjustments:

Also check out Frank Darling to see if there are any 2ct deals that catch your eye.

Omg those Frank Darling stones and they aren’t that much more expensive than the Lightbox! Thank you @DejaWiz

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
Omg those Frank Darling stones and they aren’t that much more expensive than the Lightbox! Thank you @DejaWiz

You're very welcome, TiffanyBlue.
FD does have a nice selection of diamonds with GCAL 8X reports...some food for thought.
You may also want to contact Diamonds by Lauren and Distinctive Gem to see what GCAL 8x diamonds are showing in their inventories or at their distributors.
Victor Canera, too.

oceanblue

Shiny_Rock
Just an idea, some people have had their lab diamond recut.....would be a lot less than 7000.00 for a new branded stone.

Slickk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I second waiting for the right one.
I would check out DiamondsbyLauren as well. I bought my 3ct LGD from David and it looks gorgeous (see avatar) but I haven’t received it yet…

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results