shape
carat
color
clarity

Light colored emerald vs green beryl, which should I buy? Calling all emerald experts!

Pinkmartini87

Brilliant_Rock
Dear all,

Project for 2020 with hubby’s blessing: I’m a little embarrassed to say that I would like to purchase what to my humble untrained eyes appear to be a lighter and definitely non-trade ideal color of emerald. I don’t know why but I like this shade (reminds me of glass bottles on a hot summer day) much more than either the duck neck or the stop light trade ideal colors. Please see photos below as to my desired shade (all these photos are courtesy of prior PS threads and members).

I recently learned also that light emeralds may not qualify as emeralds but green beryl, and that there’s a significant price difference between the two.

Thus based on the shades I like below, do you recommend I should be buying a light emerald and paying the price for such (aka a non trade ideal emerald), or should I be going after a green beryl (and save $$$ which my hubby would love lol), and what is a reasonable ballpark price range for a 3 to 3.5 carat stone of this shade? I’m ok with inclusions as long as they don’t threaten the stability of the stone. I plan to set into a ring.

D2196AE0-6830-4B1D-9351-68E43571C0F3.jpeg 66D670E3-D3B8-4DBE-835C-8A3BB55063DC.jpeg F001ABE8-A27E-442A-8F57-69512FDDB043.jpeg 2BBF68A1-FBA7-474A-95F0-2676AD8733F0.jpeg 13F78E6A-6078-457A-A22E-5FAB8366017A.jpeg 6C29D9E1-1798-42BD-BBAB-FB0AF9A4E09E.jpeg 53E9D82A-694C-4AED-BCD6-647B941B6DA4.jpeg 40CE8DD3-A709-453B-A0B3-41B6DE1CC402.jpeg 183280AB-03A3-4237-A5D1-B2CCA438C91B.jpeg

On a side note, I’m not sure why I don’t prefer trade ideals and almost wish I did. In fact, I often get asked if my sapphire ring is an amethyst, and even though I love it, I suppose an amethyst may have done the trick also and saved lots of money in hindsight! Beer taste on a champagne budget!! Hence my question re light colored emeralds vs beryl above.

My sapphire ring (which looks like an amethyst I suppose!):
D77355A3-4D65-4EAA-B790-534568E2FDF7.jpeg

Calling all emerald experts!!!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is a green beryl.

They’re not as intensely green as even lighter true emeralds and they look more like greenish aquamarines or tourmaline. They’re typically colored by vanadium. Some dealers and labs call this emerald, but if it’s eye clean and looks like a tourmaline, I would look for another emerald. This is still a gorgeous gem, but an emerald???? I don’t think so.

6E1DDB59-0395-402B-A36F-1FFBA4CAF4F9.jpeg

Emeralds are famed for their incredible green color that IMO, no other green gem can rival. The duck neck stones need to be seen in person to be appreciated. Photos just cannot capture their true beauty/color. However not everyone can afford such fine color, and lighter emeralds are still beautiful, but they should still have that unmistakable chromium emerald green glow. In other words, it should look like an emerald.

Pinkmartini87

Brilliant_Rock
@T L Thanks for writing back—I was hoping you would weigh in! The Jeff White gem, although pretty, to me is more of a greenish yellow and sparkles, but does not have the velvety sheen or glow. I also tried a synthetic emerald by a reputable vendor and cutter here but found the stone too one note for me (no glow, too clean, glassy in appearance). I guess I should stick to light emeralds then.

Any of the ones above that I shared that maybe you would NOT classify as an emerald, but rather a green beryl? (I don’t want to pay emerald prices for a green beryl!) And what is a reasonable price I should be budgeting for for a light emerald stone (with inclusions, presumed minor oiling) around 3 carat?

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would stick with something called emerald, but for many vendors it is more of semantics than mineralogic distinction. Minerally speaking green beryl may not have significant chromium, iron impurities which gives emerald its color. Visually the saturation will be weaker, and it may have tones (yellow, blue) that don't scream "emerald". So if I was you I would stick with emeralds in a lighter tone, which will still come with a discount compared to more trade ideal emeralds. I also think the lighter emeralds can be beautiful, and they are often more clear than the very intense colored stones.

Pinkmartini87

Brilliant_Rock
@T L and @partgypsy

What do you think of these two emeralds below? I only like emerald cuts, and ideally want something with bigger finger coverage (around 9-10 mm by maybe 6mm—but either embassy or Mastercut has anything that big without going over my budget significantly. Wildfishgems more pricy than either two, prob because he carries unoiled stones). Budgeting $4-5000 and under (is that realistic?).

1. Embassy emeralds. 1.04 Ct. $624. 6 by 5 mm. Cedar oil only. Has inclusions but clarity looks good to me. Downside: maybe not so much glow.
13A05CCE-E913-4E90-ACA6-42E06DF10A7D.jpeg

2. Also embassy emeralds. Also $624. Cedar oil only. 6 by 5 mm. Just under 1ct. This one has more glow but looks more “hazy” aka less clarity.
0F81E561-15F7-4112-93E3-F8D07758B9A5.jpeg

LilAlex

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thus based on the shades I like below, do you recommend I should be buying a light emerald and paying the price for such (aka a non trade ideal emerald), or should I be going after a green beryl (and save $$$ which my hubby would love lol), and what is a reasonable ballpark price range for a 3 to 3.5 carat stone of this shade?

Well, I'm with you. Not a fan of the duck-neck-dark color; I like a rich very-slightly-bluish-green in a lighter tone. I think of green beryl being more toward the yellow. I think it's like sapphire -- a well-saturated medium tone or even light-medium tone is plenty attractive and may even look better in some light.

My understanding is that almost no one uses the "green beryl" designation anymore -- kinda like how they were all Mogok "rubies" and now many are pink sapphires, etc.

Sunstorm

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Based on your pix and description you are definitely looking for an emerald. The pix are kind of all over the place as far as color, clarity, cut, overall quality goes but they are definitely all emeralds. I think you got such a range just because emeralds are so extremely difficult to photograph.

Not liking top gem/duck neck green material only happens too when one only sees photos that black out, do not show the real life magic. Top emeralds have so much life that in real life you really do not see the black out, what you do see is impossible to understand without having seen it. This is why it Is also pretty much impossible to select an emerald based on photos.

That said I agree with you that a lighter tone can be truly amazing and very magical when the stone has great saturation and that glow as well as nice clarity. I think you want Colombian material, possibly Chivor.

I think others can tell you about vendors who carry what you would like.

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm a little confused at the size and price you are looking for. You are saying 8 x 10 and 4-5K and under, but you are posting options much smaller.

I don't have an inside place to buy emeralds. On embassy emeralds there are emeralds that size (or a little smaller) and in that price range or less.

4.93 oval

total of 4.76 carat set of 2 emerald cut

2.6 carat emerald cut emerald (very pretty).

Pinkmartini87

Brilliant_Rock
@partgypsy Thanks for taking the time to share the links.

Sorry for the confusion. Yes, I would prefer something like 8 x 10 instead of the smaller ones I posted, unfortunately I don’t like ovals and don’t need a pair, just one step cut or emerald cut if that makes sense.

I saw the 2.6 carat one you shared. Size wise definitely more what I’m looking for but a little yellowish green for my liking I think.

Feeling stumped...

Pinkmartini87

Brilliant_Rock
Maybe I should be looking at ready made antique pieces?

Here’s one I’ve been eyeing for a while. The center emerald is a little smaller than what I want, but the cluster and chunkiness of the diamonds makes it pop and look a bit bigger:
A81C31AD-29F8-4C80-B23E-F9F527BDD1B8.jpeg
Here’s a link:

Reactions: T L

Pinkmartini87

Brilliant_Rock
Here’s another, again, center emerald a bit small for my taste, but I like the cluster design:
08BE93DB-EDAE-46D4-B561-44AAE0EFC679.jpeg

Reactions: T L

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hopefully others will post more ideas for you. Etsy is another place to look.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@T L Thanks for writing back—I was hoping you would weigh in! The Jeff White gem, although pretty, to me is more of a greenish yellow and sparkles, but does not have the velvety sheen or glow. I also tried a synthetic emerald by a reputable vendor and cutter here but found the stone too one note for me (no glow, too clean, glassy in appearance). I guess I should stick to light emeralds then.

Any of the ones above that I shared that maybe you would NOT classify as an emerald, but rather a green beryl? (I don’t want to pay emerald prices for a green beryl!) And what is a reasonable price I should be budgeting for for a light emerald stone (with inclusions, presumed minor oiling) around 3 carat?

Some natural emeralds look synthetic too. I recently went to Tiffany & Co, and saw a $30k+ 1.5 carat emerald ring. Very clean, dark green, but no sheen. Glassy is a good description. I prefer obviously Columbian Muzo stones for that velvety sheen, but others here like Ethiopian and Afghan emeralds, which tend to be lighter, but still glowy. I suspect the Tiffany stone was Zambian.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like the top emerald for $600 or so. It has the most crystal appearance of the three, albeit a small window, but it’s a pretty stone for the price. I would just make sure there are no surface reaching inclusions that would affect setting it, or table cracks.

I would also want a side view of the gem. You don’t want one that’s too bottom heavy.

Last edited:

Pinkmartini87

Brilliant_Rock
@T L Thanks! I’ll request more details re stone.

qubitasaurus

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Dear all,

Project for 2020 with hubby’s blessing: I’m a little embarrassed to say that I would like to purchase what to my humble untrained eyes appear to be a lighter and definitely non-trade ideal color of emerald. I don’t know why but I like this shade (reminds me of glass bottles on a hot summer day) much more than either the duck neck or the stop light trade ideal colors. Please see photos below as to my desired shade (all these photos are courtesy of prior PS threads and members).

I recently learned also that light emeralds may not qualify as emeralds but green beryl, and that there’s a significant price difference between the two.

Thus based on the shades I like below, do you recommend I should be buying a light emerald and paying the price for such (aka a non trade ideal emerald), or should I be going after a green beryl (and save $$$ which my hubby would love lol), and what is a reasonable ballpark price range for a 3 to 3.5 carat stone of this shade? I’m ok with inclusions as long as they don’t threaten the stability of the stone. I plan to set into a ring.

D2196AE0-6830-4B1D-9351-68E43571C0F3.jpeg 66D670E3-D3B8-4DBE-835C-8A3BB55063DC.jpeg F001ABE8-A27E-442A-8F57-69512FDDB043.jpeg 2BBF68A1-FBA7-474A-95F0-2676AD8733F0.jpeg 13F78E6A-6078-457A-A22E-5FAB8366017A.jpeg 6C29D9E1-1798-42BD-BBAB-FB0AF9A4E09E.jpeg 53E9D82A-694C-4AED-BCD6-647B941B6DA4.jpeg 40CE8DD3-A709-453B-A0B3-41B6DE1CC402.jpeg 183280AB-03A3-4237-A5D1-B2CCA438C91B.jpeg

On a side note, I’m not sure why I don’t prefer trade ideals and almost wish I did. In fact, I often get asked if my sapphire ring is an amethyst, and even though I love it, I suppose an amethyst may have done the trick also and saved lots of money in hindsight! Beer taste on a champagne budget!! Hence my question re light colored emeralds vs beryl above.

My sapphire ring (which looks like an amethyst I suppose!):
D77355A3-4D65-4EAA-B790-534568E2FDF7.jpeg

Calling all emerald experts!!!

How many of the pictures you included were labelled by their vendors as green beryl?

Emerald carries a premium price tag and I cant see any vendor labeling a stone a green bery when it could reasonably sell as a light coloured emerald. It is kind of semantics, and what is more we are on the wrong side of the transaction to be designating the label.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
How many of the pictures you included were labelled by their vendors as green beryl?

Emerald carries a premium price tag and I cant see any vendor labeling a stone a green bery when it could reasonably sell as a light coloured emerald. It is kind of semantics, and what is more we are on the wrong side of the transaction to be designating the label.

Some vendors are pretty honest and do label these gems green beryl. I personally think they can sell for a higher premium than pallid emerald. Jeff White, and Vlad Yavorskky have both sold “green beryl.” I’m sure they were not inexpensive. I purchased a green beryl many years ago from Technofacet (a lapidary/vendor on eBay).

qubitasaurus

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Some vendors are pretty honest and do label these gems green beryl. I personally think they can sell for a higher premium than pallid emerald. Jeff White, and Vlad Yavorskky have both sold “green beryl.” I’m sure they were not inexpensive. I purchased a green beryl many years ago from Technofacet (a lapidary/vendor on eBay).

Yes but if you look at the stones being linked in this thread as potential candidates then they actually are all a lot darker than the mintygreenberyl you purchased. So much so, that I think it would (at the very least) be ambiguous as to whether they should be labelled as emerald or green beryl -- to the extent where I would be surprised if anyone labelled either of the following stones green beryl. Even all the exemplifies up thread look to me to be darker than the stone you purchased.

Maybe I should be looking at ready made antique pieces?

Here’s one I’ve been eyeing for a while. The center emerald is a little smaller than what I want, but the cluster and chunkiness of the diamonds makes it pop and look a bit bigger:
A81C31AD-29F8-4C80-B23E-F9F527BDD1B8.jpeg
Here’s a link:

Here’s another, again, center emerald a bit small for my taste, but I like the cluster design:
08BE93DB-EDAE-46D4-B561-44AAE0EFC679.jpeg

Pinkmartini87

Brilliant_Rock
@qubitasaurus and @T L, in your expertise, what’s the lightest shade that you would say qualifies for emerald? Can you share a photo/link?

I feel like I’ve seen some stones so light green that even though they are labeled as emerald by sellers I’m honest not sure if they should...

For instance, this color:

03DC24C8-D9D7-4EC8-9778-2419E1508323.jpeg

This same ring in another vendor photo looks like a completely different color though (this one looks more “emerald” to me:

361EDBB8-4546-4718-BAB7-54F242102804.jpeg

And here it is in another photo (yet another different color!):
DCADC141-2C78-4D54-A4F3-F73417244F22.jpeg

Or is it because emeralds are just so darn hard to take photos of aka the photos may not be capturing its true color???

Last edited:

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well I never said any of them were not emerald. I just mentioned the characteristics that would be more of a green beryl, which is why I posted the Jeff White stone, and mine.

This can be subjective at times, but I also think that if the stone goes more grayish in some lighting, it’s probably not an emerald either.

Yes but if you look at the stones being linked in this thread as potential candidates then they actually are all a lot darker than the mintygreenberyl you purchased. So much so, that I think it would (at the very least) be ambiguous as to whether they should be labelled as emerald or green beryl -- to the extent where I would be surprised if anyone labelled either of the following stones green beryl. Even all the exemplifies up thread look to me to be darker than the stone you purchased.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@qubitasaurus and @T L, in your expertise, what’s the lightest shade that you would say qualifies for emerald? Can you share a photo/link?

I feel like I’ve seen some stones so light green that even though they are labeled as emerald by sellers I’m honest not sure if they should...

Probably the Russian emeralds above in your third photo from the top, but they’re glowy, and not grayish.

In your sixth photo down, some of those are really inferior pallid emerald, and I would be on the fence about those. The large pear in that photo is really not much of an emerald to me. I’ve seen “emerald” that looks like yellowish green crackle glass, it’s not what I personally consider an emerald, but others would.

Last edited:

Pinkmartini87

Brilliant_Rock
@T L also wanted to say your emeralds in prior threads are just incredible in color! I don’t think I can afford a stone like that, but would like something that most people might agree that it’s an emerald via color.

Do you have a favorite emerald amongst all the ones you own?

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@T L also wanted to say your emeralds in prior threads are just incredible in color! I don’t think I can afford a stone like that, but would like something that most people might agree that it’s an emerald via color.

Do you have a favorite emerald amongst all the ones you own?

You could afford a color like that in a sub carat or half carat stone. The nice thing about beryl is that it a less dense stone. A one carat emerald can face up like a two carat ruby for example. There was a poster here who had an incredible colored emerald in a half carat. Fine color does not require large size to be noticed. However, an inferior colored stone like the tepid pear I mentioned, could be twenty carats, and still be blah.

Not all my emeralds are fine color, some are lighter. The other great thing about emerald is that you don’t need the finest color to have a beautiful stone. Thank you for the kind words.

qubitasaurus

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

For instance, this color:

03DC24C8-D9D7-4EC8-9778-2419E1508323.jpeg

This same ring in another vendor photo looks like a completely different color though (this one looks more “emerald” to me:

361EDBB8-4546-4718-BAB7-54F242102804.jpeg

And here it is in another photo (yet another different color!):
DCADC141-2C78-4D54-A4F3-F73417244F22.jpeg

Or is it because emeralds are just so darn hard to take photos of aka the photos may not be capturing its true color???

Lol I've seen a few where I screwed my eyes up and thought no way too. But I would rather not start an argument over where I disagree on semantics with other people's favourite vendors by posting pictures.

I would have maybe started with what treatment level youd accept. Which is a really contentious issue. And then also considered origin as the south american stuff is much more expensive from what I have seen.

If I wanted to buy an emerald TL would be the first person I'd ask, so I have no doubt you wont go wrong following her advice.

Pinkmartini87

Brilliant_Rock
@T L and @qubitasaurus Thank you both for your thoughtful comments and advice, I’m excited to go forth and conquer this new project in 2020. Happy new year to you both!!

Ps For me color is foremost. I’m ok with moderate treatment and origin is not a deal breaker to me since otherwise given my budget I don’t think I get to be too choosy! But @T L is right—I rather sacrifice size for color at this point. Maybe I should look in the smaller range than 3 carat to find a rich color in my budget...

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@qubitasaurus, thanks for the confidence.

@Pinkmartini87, I’m more of a Colombian emerald snob. I would stick with Chivor or Muzo material. However, from what I’ve been told, some Afghan and Ethiopian stones are much like Chivor material. IMO Muzo duck neck stones are like Burmese rubies, in a class by themselves.

Although I’m sure these locations have some beautiful gems, I’m not a fan of Zambian or Brazilian material.

Pinkmartini87

Brilliant_Rock
@T L Thank you for taking the time to teach me! I’ll be back when I have some contenders to show you!

(PS if you have any time to spare I would love any suggestions to any particular stone you happen to chance upon in the future!)

CSpan

Brilliant_Rock
Love following these sorts of threads, I am learning so much. I look at stones and think "well it glows but it is too opaque or vice versa" so many things to keep in mind with these little powerhouses

@Pinkmartini87 I don't know of she has the sizes you are looking for but Yvonne over at CRD had some great stones from her Columbia trip.

I also keep seeing rings, some older some not that are popping up all over that may fit the bill. Search emerald on Instagram or etsy (and maybe vintage). If I happen upon one I'll post here and maybe the collective can evaluate

CSpan

Brilliant_Rock
I like the top emerald for $600 or so. It has the most crystal appearance of the three, albeit a small window, but it’s a pretty stone for the price. I would just make sure there are no surface reaching inclusions that would affect setting it, or table cracks.

I would also want a side view of the gem. You don’t want one that’s too bottom heavy.

I'm kind of floored that there is a stone that is "reasonable" in such a lovely color. My hiccup is that I assume all Emeralds start at $1000 and go from there.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results