shape
carat
color
clarity

Light blue mystery stones

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
I just bought a vintage ring on ebay--it arrived today--as a replacement for a similar ring I lost years ago. It''s a 14 K white gold filigree setting with a tiny single-cut diamond and four light blue stones. They look like aquamarine or blue topaz, but I guess they could be glass. Looking at them under a loupe, they''re a bit chipped and abraded at the edges, but not too bad, considering the age (and price) of the ring.

Anyone know an easy way to tell what the stones might be? Not that I care deeply, I''m just curious.

Also, not knowing the exact nature of the stones, should I risk cleaning the ring with the ammonia-water-toothbrush method? It could use a good long soak.

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
Here's a picture of my new ring. I can't wait for my husband to see it, he'll scream with horror. It's a perfect example of what he calls "HBB"--stands for "hideous beyond belief."

However, I love it.

d9_1.jpg

Nicrez

Ideal_Rock
They could be light aquamarines. They could also be light blue zircons, but that color specifically looks like it would most likely be aquamarines. Maybe Florite...

Aquamarines are usually heat treated to induce color, as they are usually very light. If heat treated too much they can become colorless...They are found mostly in Brazil, but can inclue Urals (Russia), Afghanistan, Pakistan, India and now Nigeria. Madagascar has them as well, but they have a darker blue variety....

Aquamarine are dichoric, which means that two colors are visible when seen from different angles. Blue from some angles and white from other angles. They are cut with the table facet parallel to the length of the crystal in so that the color comes out the most.

There, more than you needed to ever know and never even asked...I ADORE THEM! They are so delicate. The ring is not my taste, but I do have to admire it for it's history and it's craftsmanship!!!
9.gif
Congrats on the new bling, and please take pictures when you get it!!!!

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
Thanks, Nicrez! I've been squinting at the stones, trying to see if they have different colors at different angles, and I sort of think they do, but I can't really tell--might just be windowing. They're pretty beat up, but they have a nice sheen.

So you agree with my DH, do you--HBB? I actually sort of thought I would think so myself, but it looks surprisingly good on the hand. It's a strange combination of delicate and enormous. Sort of aggressively feminine. On the whole, it's hilarious in a charming way.

Nicrez

Ideal_Rock
Well...I..like the...stones...?
9.gif
2.gif

Honestly, I have liked some pretty unsavory things, where most people look at them and think YUCK! I posed the idea at my coworkers to put diamonds on the band of my new e-ring which is to be made soon, and they all turned their noses up at the idea of Over-blinging it...Oh well...

I am glad you like it, and I laugh at your description, because it;s oddly accurate! I have actually seen agressively feminine before. It seem to be the thing lately! Just look at timberland boots with heels! (please don't get me started!) Some Manolo Blahniks can be calssified as "agressively feminine". I say you patent that, it's cooler that "shabby-chic"!!!
9.gif
naughty.gif

Rock your ring and enjoy it! To each his own, because it's the variety that makes us so interesting!!!
9.gif

Michael_E

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
glitterata,
I'd bet that those are aquamarines. I've cut several replacement stones for rings of that vintage and when the quality of the mounting is good that color has always been aquamarine. In cheaper mountings they sometimes used flame fusion, pale blue spinel. I don't think they're glass or zircon, since with age and use those stones almost always get so abraded that they start looking fuzzy. In either case I'd take the ring to a jeweler with an ultrasonic cleaner and really blast it clean.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Light blue aqua... 99%.

I happen to have a load of those old spinels in the drawer: they are very nice (some look like the best aqua, for example - not at all grayish like natural light blue spinel is likely) and have survived a few decades of wear almost unscathed. There are vitualy no inlcusions in them but some 'heat waves' locked into the crystal structure here and there in the more intensely colored stones.

Turn of the century jewelry sometimes contains pale blue natural topaz: these were quite respected stones, so one can find them in very valuable pieces. Funny how the tables have turned for this stone
eek.gif

mogok

Shiny_Rock
Well,
I like your ring... It's quite "spooky", and there is something interesting in it in the mix of some reptilian design mixed with lovely light blue stones.
Some of my friends that use to participate in medieval villages in France or play "HP Lovecraft style" muder parties in old houses during the week end would really love this ring!
Its something for sure...
I truly like it!

And if its natural blue Topaz then I would say that I really Love it!

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
Thanks, Mogok--I like that, "reptilian." I think you understand the ring's slightly creepy charm.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
----------------
On 3/27/2004 10:32:04 PM glitterata wrote:

Thanks, Mogok--I like that, 'reptilian.' I think you understand the ring's slightly creepy charm.----------------

hmmm looks more like a dragonfly to me,,,,,

mogok

Shiny_Rock
Well I dont know if I understand it as i said reptilian but it could be descibed also as "arachnide"... Some kind of dark elf design?
Anyway I truly like it!

Richard M.

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
----------------
On 3/28/2004 7:19:38 AM mogok wrote:

Well I dont know if I understand it as i said reptilian but it could be descibed also as 'arachnide'... Some kind of dark elf design?
Anyway I truly like it!
----------------

I suppose designs may be interpreted in terms of a person's cultural background. My first impression suggested a double Celtic Claddagh symbol (image) using gemstones. The crowns are mirror images set on a filigree shank. The Claddagh design originated in Ireland in the 17th century and was traditional in a single village in Galway for over 400 years. It's loosely based on the French fleur de lis.

Richard M.

Claddagh.jpg

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
That's funny, Richard, because when I was wearing the ring yesterday, I glanced down at my finger and was reminded of my friend Bridget in high school. I tried for a long time to picture what ring or rings Bridget wore--and finally I remembered she always wore a claddaugh. Although I'm not sure she didn't also wear a filigree ring with a little diamond in it, maybe a grandmother's engagement ring. Or maybe that was her sister? But I think it was probably the claddaugh that was making me think of her.

If it IS a claddaugh, it's a wild parody of one, though.

I think what it's really supposed to represent is a ribbon tied in a bow.

Or, as my DH puts it, "a stupid bowtie."

Richard M.

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
You're taking my comment too literally.
2.gif
Mogok said to him it suggested something spidery, elvish or reptilian. I said it suggested a claddagh to me, based on my cultural background.

It's your ring -- you'll have to decide for yourself what its meaning is to you because different people see different things in it, for example your DH!
naughty.gif

Richard M.

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
No, all I meant was--it reminds me of a claddagh, too. Specifically, my friend Bridget's claddagh.

All right, I've decided definitively what it is: a mermaid's tail ribbon.

Richard M.

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
----------------
On 3/28/2004 1:56:15 PM glitterata wrote:

All right, I've decided definitively what it is: a mermaid's tail ribbon.----------------

LOL!! A mermaid's tail ribbon it is!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results