shape
carat
color
clarity

LGD favoritism?

TiffanyBlue

Rough_Rock
Hi all! So I am really new to the LGD world, done some research about various growing methods, picked out a stone, etc… i know there may always be bigger, better diamonds on someone else’s finger but what I really want to know is this:

Why do people here seem to favor HPHT over CVD? Is CVD really that bad or is it a case of people just prefer HPHT because it more mimics the way diamonds are formed in the earth? I feel a lot of posts here try to steer people away from CVD diamonds, and that makes me feel my choice is somehow inferior or that I chose wrongly without doing enough research.

Is it purely a matter of personal opinion or is there something I’m missing? I don’t want to look at my ring for years to come and think “rats, shoulda gone with HPHT cause I got an inferior stone”. Am I right or wrong in thinking like this?

I like being educated but not too educated because then I second guess everything! Maybe I should stay off PS while waiting for my ring to be finished! Lol!!

vintageinjune

Brilliant_Rock
What it boils down to, in my opinion, is that it is perceived to be easier to find the "faults" in a HPHT diamond (color nuance, inclusions, haziness, etc.) than the "faults" with a CVD diamond (does the internal graining affect light performance, or does it not?). My lab grown diamond earrings are CVD, picked by Jon, and while I could see some graining in the magnified videos, in real life they are clear and so, so sparkly.

At this point, wait to see your ring in person and yes, if you need, take a PS break so you stop overthinking (which I realize is much easier said than done!).

Diamond Girl 21

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I did all the research before purchasing my LG diamond, and was honestly leaning toward HPHT. In the end, I decided to get a Distinctive Emerald Cut diamond, and was comfortable enough with Jon's vetting process to allow him to make the decision.

I agree with @vintageinjune, wait until you see your diamond. I hope you love it!

Just FYI, there are people who prefer the CVD method. To each his/her/their own.

vintageinjune

Brilliant_Rock
I did all the research before purchasing my LG diamond, and was honestly leaning toward HPHT. In the end, I decided to get a Distinctive Emerald Cut diamond, and was comfortable enough with Jon's vetting process to allow him to make the decision.

I agree with @vintageinjune, wait until you see your diamond. I hope you love it!

Just FYI, there are people who prefer the CVD method. To each his/her/their own.

I do believe DG does all their custom lab grown diamonds in CVD, as well as Jann Paul and I think Brian Gavin's new lab grown line does as well.

Diamond Girl 21

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I do believe DG does all their custom lab grown diamonds in CVD, as well as Jann Paul and I think Brian Gavin's new lab grown line does as well.

That's good to know. I'm curious why they prefer to use CVD. Thanks for the info!

Slickk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have a CVD also (love it) and it was vetted by my vendor as well. I wouldn’t stress over the labels. Do you love it?

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
That's good to know. I'm curious why they prefer to use CVD. Thanks for the info!
Cost and availability compared with hpht.
There are a lot of CVD producers which range for awesome to awful which pushes prices down.

The key words in the above posts are vetted for issues.
HPHT are slightly safer when buying from a vendor who does not fully vet the stones first.

TiffanyBlue

Rough_Rock
What it boils down to, in my opinion, is that it is perceived to be easier to find the "faults" in a HPHT diamond (color nuance, inclusions, haziness, etc.) than the "faults" with a CVD diamond (does the internal graining affect light performance, or does it not?). My lab grown diamond earrings are CVD, picked by Jon, and while I could see some graining in the magnified videos, in real life they are clear and so, so sparkly.

At this point, wait to see your ring in person and yes, if you need, take a PS break so you stop overthinking (which I realize is much easier said than done!).

Thanks! So I was totally confused in thinking, based on the posts I’ve read here, that CVD had more faults and needed more vetting because of the potential brown tinges and stria. When I had the stone loose, I didn’t notice anything suspicious as far as tint or growing lines. I purposefully didn’t use my loupe because that’s not how I will see the Diamond everyday and I’m definitely one to obsess (hence this thread).

@Slickk I do love it and took it around with me in all kinds of lighting to make sure, I’ve just been impatiently waiting and filling in my time here reading and looking at photos which now has me worried that HPHT is simply better. Where did you get your stone? Mine is from Frank Darling.

I think I will step back for a few days from reading too much info and just enjoy other posters’ pics.

Slickk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@TiffanyBlue mine came from DiamondsbyLauren.
Would love to see how you set it!!

TiffanyBlue

Rough_Rock
This is the setting I chose and ordered directly from Danhov in platinum. It usually has the 6 prongs offset but I requested them the “standard” 12&6 orientation. Photo renderings are of the modified design.

ETA: I will post pics when I receive the actual ring, hopefully in two weeks.

E64C7813-4E97-4BE7-890F-201AB709C339.jpeg

Attachments

• 6BE4C243-63B8-4DB8-BF20-36221EF899DF.jpeg
    6BE4C243-63B8-4DB8-BF20-36221EF899DF.jpeg
    60.7 KB · Views: 4
  • 0BE4EBDE-9752-45FA-A310-EBDCD041CACB.jpeg
    0BE4EBDE-9752-45FA-A310-EBDCD041CACB.jpeg
    102.9 KB · Views: 4
  • B06BA318-D5D7-4B12-8AEA-0A6FDD0D8832.jpeg
    B06BA318-D5D7-4B12-8AEA-0A6FDD0D8832.jpeg
    108.6 KB · Views: 4

Diamond Girl 21

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Cost and availability compared with hpht.
There are a lot of CVD producers which range for awesome to awful which pushes prices down.

The key words in the above posts are vetted for issues.
HPHT are slightly safer when buying from a vendor who does not fully vet the stones first.

Thanks Karl!

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
There’s advantages/ potential issues with both.
HPHT is generally grown colorless- so you get D-E colors with no post growth treatment. That is a selling point for some people.
In all cases, the individual stone is the determining factor for me. Cut, and the way the diamond handles light ( graining)
So personally, I prefer not to handcuff our company to one or the other

EClove

Shiny_Rock
I have a CVD diamond from frank darling as well (but their stones are also listed on other sites) and I love it. And it’s an emerald cut so it would be “easy” to see stria / color issues and there’s nothing that I can see. It also prefer CVD flaws to HPTP flaws because I would prefer a brownish diamond over a blueish one but that’s just me. To each their own. As long as you love you love it, don’t give it another thought. Though easier said than done

Alistra

Shiny_Rock
I love my CVD diamond! As others have mentioned there are potential issues with both types. That's something to be aware of, but I wouldn't avoid all CVD diamonds, and I don't consider them inferior.

John Pollard

Shiny_Rock
Staff member
Premium
Something to keep in mind is constant advancement across the board in this sector.

For some years HPHT enjoyed a reputational advantage for a couple of reasons. First, because HPHT GQ output needed less post-growth treatment to improve color, on the whole. Second, because they followed the natural process, replicating the forces which created diamonds billions of years ago.

Today there are far more CVD growers producing colorless "as-grown" than just a handful of years ago. Those at the top have no issues with stria/graining either. There's also a bit of clapback happening, in some circles, where CVD pundits frame their process as elegantly assembling a diamond atom by atom, as opposed to growing one with brute force.

The cautionary tales will come from growers lower down in the quality pyramid, trying to enter the game with less resource, less understanding or lesser equipment. For CVD this might be plasma chambers which aren't cleaned of contaminants or have starts/stops in the cycle. For HPHT it can be presses poorly converted to GQ use, catalytic pollution, etc.

In my opinion there is no disadvantage at the top of the pyramid.

TiffanyBlue

Rough_Rock
Thank you for the in depth explanation, @John Pollard. I really enjoy learning about the LGD processes. It’s actually fascinating and almost more interesting than natural Diamond formation because of the science behind it.

How can we know which growers are at the top of the pyramid and which dealers have those diamonds in their inventory? Do these growers know they’re at the top and do the sellers from these labs price those diamonds accordingly?

I’ve promised to love my ring with the stone I’ve already picked when it comes back next week, but I may have some other LGD pieces in my future so I’d like to know which dealers get stones from them ;-)

John Pollard

Shiny_Rock
Staff member
Premium
How can we know which growers are at the top of the pyramid and which dealers have those diamonds in their inventory? Do these growers know they’re at the top and do the sellers from these labs price those diamonds accordingly?
Some well-known examples would be WD Diamonds, the first to earn sustainability certification last year and Lusix, in which LVMH has recently invested.

For consumers the choice of retail jewelry professional is what's most important, no different than seeking specific natural diamonds. If you desire one from a specific country of origin, a highly specialized cut or a standout fancy color, your jeweler will be the tip of the spear. The most quality-minded pros keep abreast of who specializes in what, and tend to have relationships with the highest quality sources. It's no different in the LGD sector.

Semi-sequitur. The word pyramid reminded me - Lusix has developed pyramid shaped CVD output, to maximize yield / minimize waste when cutting conventional shapes.

1657135245776.png

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
Semi-sequitur. The word pyramid reminded me - Lusix has developed pyramid shaped CVD output, to maximize yield / minimize waste when cutting conventional shapes.

1657135245776.png

That, uhh, looks a little cloudy.

(sorry, couldn't resist!)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results