shape
carat
color
clarity

letting diamond out of sight

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Odilia

Brilliant_Rock
Hi, I came across these two threads (below). I too have heard concerns about "diamond switching" and now in this thread below, damaging the stone. I also have often thought one of the main solutions is to have a reputable jeweler do it. But I have wondered a few things. To replace a stone, does one have to completely replace prongs, or just ''bend'' them and bend them back? (Sorry if this is a naive question!) It just seems to me one would notice if the prongs were changed etc... (Of course I am not speaking here of having something mounted or re-mounted etc...) If one is getting jewelry appraised, I assume it''s the same issue - find someone reputable that you can trust. How does one know who is reputable?

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/mounting-procedure.28494/

[url=https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/i-dont-want-to-get-ripped-off.6142/]https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/i-dont-want-to-get-ripped-off.6142/
=[/URL]

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
ASK! Call the BBB and the Chamber of Commerce and check for complaints. Look for associations with groups such as the AGS, a strong indicater that the store is likely to be ethical, but not proof.

Talk to your friends, find out who they use. There are many ways to check around if you are going local. If you are using an out of town appraiser than ask people on boards like this. They can tell you of the Thom Underwood''s and David Atlass''s and Denver Appraisers and others that they like or dislike. With the internet it is truly a case of Ask and Ye Shall Receive.

Wink

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock
For appraisers, an annotated resource is here, (top right under Resources on this board).

Then, it may be that a good local appraiser can point you to a good craftsman jeweler.

Regards,

Allium

Rough_Rock
The best advice I can give is KNOW YOUR DIAMOND. Diamonds are like fingerprints. No two are alike and plots generally represent this (except in very high clarities). Know where your particular diamond''s inclusions are and note any distinctive symmetry characteristics like facets that don''t line up perfectly or are misshapen. Get a loupe if you don''t already have one. Don''t be afraid to see what''s there. Take a good hard look at your stone, find the imperfections and remember them.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, know your diamond.
Unless you have a flawless or internally flawless you can get a loupe and study your report.
Find the inclusions.
If you have trouble have a jeweler help you till you can find them yourself.

ALSO: When you drop off your ring bring the original report from the GIA or AGS or whomever that shows the flaws on plots.
Also bring a Xerox to leave with them.

Compare the diamond to the original report, and xerox, with your jeweler when you drop it off.
Ask him or her to verify the presence, nature and location of flaws match the report.
Have the jeweler measure the stone''s diameter and compare to report.
Have jeweler write on reciept that s/he verified stone matches report number xxxxxxx.

If jeweler balks, walk.
When you pick up diamond do the same thing.
Deal only with the same person who signed for the stone.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/23/2005 10:14:47 PM
Author: Allium
The best advice I can give is KNOW YOUR DIAMOND. Diamonds are like fingerprints. No two are alike and plots generally represent this (except in very high clarities). Know where your particular diamond''s inclusions are and note any distinctive symmetry characteristics like facets that don''t line up perfectly or are misshapen. Get a loupe if you don''t already have one. Don''t be afraid to see what''s there. Take a good hard look at your stone, find the imperfections and remember them.

Well said!
36.gif

That is exackly what I was going to post.
The loupe will come in handy for all kinds of things from checking your ring for damage to removing splinters from your hands to reading small printing on stuff.
Its money well spent.

YoungPapa

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Odilia,

I agree with everything said and would only add one more thought.

Even if you know NOTHING about your diamond and do everything wrong, the chances are still EXTREMELY SLIM that anyone would switch your diamond. I think the biggest reason people worry about diamond switching is that it seems like it would be very easy and very profitable. In reality it isn''t so easy, it isn''t terribly profitable (in most cases) and it''s a crime that could ruin a good business.

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
***rushing off to buy a loop***

acgirl

Rough_Rock
I have been reading up on the GIA website and found this:
http://www.gia.edu/newsroom/608/293/news_release_details.cfm
It details how you can get a micro laser inscription on your stone by GIA for identifying purposes for as little as $37.00. Thought it was interesting and might solve some of the concerns people have about switching.

RockDoc

Ideal_Rock
Lasering an inscription on a diamond is certanly indictive, however it doesn''t establish positive proof or evidence.

About 18 years ago when GIA started inscribing diamonds, it was realy reliable because on two people had the machine to do the laser inscribing. One was of course, GIA the other, was Lazare Kaplan Diamond Co, which developed and patented the system.

But now other people have marketed laser inscribing machines to any one who wants to purchase one. So any diamond (or other stone, could be inscribed with the same number and I understand that even graphical logos can also be inscribed).

Plus, the inscription can be removed very easily without a trace.

An alternative system for identification of a diamond, is the Gemprint system. It is excellent at identifiying a diamond''s identity, and stood the test of being accepted in the court system as being a positive identifier.

For information those interested could review www.gemprint.com for further information, and a list of Gemprint centers throughout the world.

Rockdoc

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
GIA is not the only one with laser inscription equipment.

I have seen many businesses offer laser inscription services.

If somebody is crooked enough to swap a diamond they are crooked enough to put the same inscription on the stone they swap into your ring.

Laser inscriptions do give the customer a warm fuzzy feeling, but I would not consider laser inscriptions fool-proof protection against diamond swapping.

Odilia

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks for the comments! I have often thought that the laser inscription might not be as foolproof as it seems, for the reasons stated. It is good to be aware of that.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results