shape
carat
color
clarity

Lets talk baguettes

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Dreamgirl

Ideal_Rock
I am interested in a possible Round Brilliant with Tapered Baguettes engagement ring for the future. Well, I should say my boyfriend is interested
28.gif
(Not sure if I will end up with this setting, but I really like the look of them. They are very classy.) I started a thread over in SMTR to see some tapered baguettes and I just realized that I really don''t know much of anything about them. I pretty much know that they were started in the 1920''s-1930''s. I can''t really seem to find a whole lot of information about them and their background as well.

So, I''d really like to know anything about them. I''m sure there are threads created in the past about this topic (and I will look on) but would love to hear what anyone has to say about them. Are they sturdy? Do they chip easily? Anything you''ve got on them, I''d love to know! Thank you!

Dreamgirl

Ideal_Rock
Bump

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My e-ring is estimated as being from the 1940s and is a round with a baguette on each side. The baguettes are bar set. They haven''t chipped yet. I don''t know much about the cut, but the entire ring is fairly study. I''m not aware of any cut information on baguettes so you know what to look for.

Dreamgirl

Ideal_Rock
That is good to know that your ring at least hasn''t chipped. I''m just uncertain of how delicate this cut diamond would be.

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
I have a RHR with a sapphire center and small (.3 ctw) tapered bags on each side. The bags are set with two tiny prongs on the large side and a bar on the small side. They haven't moved or chipped and they look very safe in the setting. BTW, I think this is all about the quality of your jeweler to make sure they set them correctly. They give give off subtle flashes every now and then, but not as much sparkle. I love the look of them, very crisp, clear, and elegant. I personally like pointed prongs a little bit better than bars, but if you end up with bars, make sure they aren't chunky in appearance. This takes away from the bags in my opinion.

Here is the style of my ring: http://www.knoxjewelers.biz/index.htm?crn=213&rn=1158&action=show_detail

diagem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 12/16/2008 3:59:50 PM
Author:Dreamgirl
I am interested in a possible Round Brilliant with Tapered Baguettes engagement ring for the future. Well, I should say my boyfriend is interested
28.gif
(Not sure if I will end up with this setting, but I really like the look of them. They are very classy.) I started a thread over in SMTR to see some tapered baguettes and I just realized that I really don''t know much of anything about them. I pretty much know that they were started in the 1920''s-1930''s. I can''t really seem to find a whole lot of information about them and their background as well.

So, I''d really like to know anything about them. I''m sure there are threads created in the past about this topic (and I will look on) but would love to hear what anyone has to say about them. Are they sturdy? Do they chip easily? Anything you''ve got on them, I''d love to know! Thank you!
Are they sturdy? Well they are prone to chipping..., especially in the sharp corners and/or the straight edge girdles they possess (if extremely thin.)
They are hard to find cut well as most cutters/cutting houses cut them to maximum yields vs. the nice aesthetic step-cut symmetry with correct facet angles!

The majority of baguettes are cut with extra facets (especially on the pavilion corners as thats where the major weight loss occurs) as a symptom to achieve max yield..., but great cuts in baguettes can be very costly and extremely hard to find..., especially in consistant quantities.

Hope this helps...., a bit
2.gif

francesfarmer

Rough_Rock
p.s. I love this look too, but I wish there was a way to have them set LOWER. Like culet-nearly-touching-the-finger low.
Does anyone know if this is possible?

westjenn

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 12/17/2008 11:40:31 AM
Author: Addy
My e-ring is estimated as being from the 1940s and is a round with a baguette on each side. The baguettes are bar set. They haven''t chipped yet. I don''t know much about the cut, but the entire ring is fairly study. I''m not aware of any cut information on baguettes so you know what to look for.
Addy, I''d love to see your ring. Do you have pix posted on PS?

tdha

Rough_Rock
I LOVE round with baguettes, nice choice.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have tapered baguettes with a pear shape diamond. I''ve had it for 10 years and no chips. I love my setting but
its true that the baguettes dont give off much sparkle. I am currently looking for a wedding band to go with mine
and want something besides the matching baguette wedding band that goes with it ( I want more bling
emwink.gif
). So
you might also want to think about your wedding band at the same time (which I didnt). My wedding band will
need to curve to fit around the rounded end up my pear diamond and its not easy to find something that sits up
nicely next to my ering.

I say if you want a timeless look, go for the round with the baguettes. I''m very happy with mine.

DiamanteBlu

Ideal_Rock
I have an EC with long tapered baguettes. It is an estate piece - my guess it that it is from the '40's - not sure though.

So far so good on the baguettes. They are .26 carats each. There are some photos here.

I love the baguette look whether the center be EC, RB or another cut - so classic!

Dreamgirl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/17/2008 4:48:09 PM
Author: kcoursolle
I have a RHR with a sapphire center and small (.3 ctw) tapered bags on each side. The bags are set with two tiny prongs on the large side and a bar on the small side. They haven''t moved or chipped and they look very safe in the setting. BTW, I think this is all about the quality of your jeweler to make sure they set them correctly. They give give off subtle flashes every now and then, but not as much sparkle. I love the look of them, very crisp, clear, and elegant. I personally like pointed prongs a little bit better than bars, but if you end up with bars, make sure they aren''t chunky in appearance. This takes away from the bags in my opinion.

Here is the style of my ring: http://www.knoxjewelers.biz/index.htm?crn=213&rn=1158&action=show_detail
Very lovely! Thank you for sharing
2.gif

Dreamgirl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/17/2008 4:56:44 PM
Author: DiaGem

28.gif

Are they sturdy? Well they are prone to chipping..., especially in the sharp corners and/or the straight edge girdles they possess (if extremely thin.)
They are hard to find cut well as most cutters/cutting houses cut them to maximum yields vs. the nice aesthetic step-cut symmetry with correct facet angles!

The majority of baguettes are cut with extra facets (especially on the pavilion corners as thats where the major weight loss occurs) as a symptom to achieve max yield..., but great cuts in baguettes can be very costly and extremely hard to find..., especially in consistant quantities.

2.gif
This is what it would look like. It is held by bars. I''m not sure how that type of setting works exactly ?

bagsetting.jpg

Dreamgirl

Ideal_Rock
francesfarmer- Wow! Your rings ARE gorgeous! I think you could probably have your ring reset if you are concerned about it being lower.

tyty333- That is good to know you have never had any chips after 10 years! I have already talked with my boyfriend about looking at this setting with wedding bands just to make sure there is something that will go with it. I have a whole thread I created just to that subject if you want to check it out! Thank you for your help.

DiamanteBlu- Your ring is very beautiful. It is a very classic look indeed.

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/25/2008 7:16:06 PM
Author: westjenn
Date: 12/17/2008 11:40:31 AM

Author: Addy

Addy, I''d love to see your ring. Do you have pix posted on PS?

I didn''t see this until now. I think I have photos of it on here, maybe in the under 1 carat thread. I should take more photos of the ring at some point, I don''t have any good ones.

diagem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 1/2/2009 3:24:45 PM
Author: Dreamgirl

Date: 12/17/2008 4:56:44 PM
Author: DiaGem

28.gif

2.gif
This is what it would look like. It is held by bars. I''m not sure how that type of setting works exactly ?
Are these actual images? Or a rendering?

I seem to have a problem with some features in the T.B. appearance..., (see encircled examples).

TapBag.JPG

Dreamgirl

Ideal_Rock
No, it's just a photo of the setting from their website. I think the part you circled on the right is just the back side of the band behind the baguette. This isn't actually "my" ring as I don't have one just yet. I had copied it (print screen) so it's pretty low res....

Here is another one and a little more clear: This one is a 1ct which is closer to the size I might get. The one above was a 2ct.

1cttiffbags.jpg

Dreamgirl

Ideal_Rock
Zoomed in some. But again, when resizing a small image to make it larger, it makes it fuzzy.....

1cttiffbagszoom.jpg

Dreamgirl

Ideal_Rock
Bump
2.gif
(Sorry, I don''t mean to be annoying...)

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results