shape
carat
color
clarity

Let''s talk about NC!!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Mandarine

Ideal_Rock
So everytime I read Becky's thread and someone mentions something nice about NC, I always want to ask more questions but just didn't want to thread-jack!...so I figured I would start a new thread.

I'm dying to go to NC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!. I think I would even love to move there (and so would my BF), but due to our jobs is just not an option...at least not for now.

This entire past year me and my BF have been talking about "where and how" we want to get married. It's funny because I always thought that was the easy part...but it hasn't been!!!. We did some research about getting married locally and it just seemed too expensive...plus Florida is just not "us". Then we thought about a destination wedding....but most destinations (close to FL) are "beach" destinations...he just doesn't like the idea of a beach wedding at all. Although we still considered it if we could find a mountainsh destination. But then it occured to me....NC!. Why not have a destination wedding in NC!?. Mostly everyone that will be attending needs to travel, so it will be a mini-vacation for everyone.

He loved the idea and was so excited!!!!
36.gif
So I started doing some research and we will eventually take a scouting trip up there to check it out.

We both thought the best place would be Asheville (but we are still very much open to suggestions). My ideal would be renting a big bed and breaksfat for the weekend so family and close friends can stay right there with us (and other guests can stay close by). We love hiking, rafting...pretty much anything outdoors!...and I've read that some of the smaller towns have festivals, art galleries and other things to do for the non-outdoor guests.

We also just want to take a vacation up there. We wanted to go this Fall but it just didn't happen, we had way too much going on!.

So I just wanted to hear from all of you that live in NC! (or lived, or know the state well). Do you have suggestions? what do you love most about NC? what is the best time to visit (or get married), in your opinion?, where in NC do you live?

Thanks in advance!!!

36.gif

M~

SoonIHope

Ideal_Rock
Ooh, yay, Asheville would be a GORGEOUS place for a destination wedding!!!!
9.gif

I'm from Raleigh, and I too was tempted to threadjack Becky's thread.
1.gif
Raleigh really is a great place to live, even though I moved away for college and haven't ever moved back.... Most of my high school friends went to UNC-Chapel Hill and that area is great too (& Carrboro!) and it really is so nice to be short driving distance to both the mountains and the beach! We took day trips to the beach all the time, and spent one night in the mountains camping or in a cabin pretty often too. And it hardly took any more time than getting from my apartment in Queens to my brother's in Brooklyn!
3.gif

Raleigh has a bunch of great schools (if you're thinking of raising kids there), and there are colleges EVERYWHERE, and my parents' house was on a park within walking distance of my elementary school, and it was all so pleasant. Not to say I wasn't DYING to get out when I was in high school.
20.gif
But looking back now, there are so many things I miss about living there!! I think it really would be a wonderful place to settle down and raise a family, but good luck convincing my NYC-raised fiance of that!!

ETA: For your wedding, I would recommend fall in the mountains!!!
It's sooooo gorgeous there with all the fall leaves!!! And not too cold.

Mandarine

Ideal_Rock
Thanks Albi!!!!

It sounds so wonderful
9.gif

We were also thinking Fall with the leaves changing!!!!!!!!...
30.gif
how beautiful would that be?
4.gif

M~

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
I live in Charlotte (for the past 4 years) and LOVE it. Remember that our leaves are changing NOW so if you want to get married in NC you have to plan for a Nov wedding vs. Sept. We have great weather (it was 83 on saturday), low cost of living (I was 22 when I bought our house). We are very happy here.

poptart

Brilliant_Rock
I loved the mountains! I think they are the Blue Ridge... I might be wrong though, so someone please correct me. Now, I have seen mountains my whole life because I grew up at the foot of Ben Lomond in Utah, which is part of the Rocky Mountain chain. But THESE mountains are gorgeous!! In the morning there is this beautiful low fog that covers the evergreen trees, and the entire mountain is green! Plus... oh yea, there''s more... They have hotels up there so you can stay right on the mountain. That''s where my mom and I stayed when we drove cross country. I would love to live up there! I''ll try to find a tourism website for you... I think that''s how my mom decided we should stay there.

*M*

Mandarine

Ideal_Rock
I would love to go to Charlotte too!!!!

November is perfect! There is a song in Spanish about "November" and I just love it...plus it gives me more time to plan
31.gif

M~

Mandarine

Ideal_Rock
Poptart - Yes!!! those are the mountains that made me think Asheville was perfect...because it''s so close to those mountains!. there are a few little towns all around there so I''m still gathering ideas!

The mountains in Utah are beautiful too!....I saw *some* of them and loved them!. Me, my sisters and mom once did a road trip from Kansas, through Colorado, Utah, some Arizona, Nevada and back up to Kansas...It was amazing!!!!!!!. We are thinking of going skiing to Utah this upcoming winter!.

Blue ridge looks beautiful!!! and it just looks so perfect (and closer to FL)...although the most beautiful mountains *I* have seen are in Glacier National park in Montana...wow
6.gif

Thank you for all the suggestions ladies!
36.gif

M~

poptart

Brilliant_Rock

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
We spend quite a bit of time in Asheville. Keep in mind - it is a city (albiet a small one). Grove Park Inn is worthy a visit. It''s a large hotel (main building in the Arts & Crafts style much like in the style of the old lodges out west). A few years back, they made it into a "spa" as well. They are accustomed to doing weddings there. A friend got married on the big porch overlooking the mountains!

Another desitination place you may want to consider is Blowing Rock, NC. It''s quaint with hip shops & restaurants. We stayed at a bed and breakfast called Gideon Ridge - it''s been years so my recomendation may be stale - but we enjoyed it - found it to be sophisticated (I''m not a B&B fan - but this one I liked). It''s nestled in the mountians with hiking trails & gardens out the back door.

Funny, I''m a NYC expat. I found Raleigh to be home rather quickly! Careers took us away from NC - but a few years back we bought a second home in Greensboro, NC. The piedmont-triad region(Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point) is also very nice. Old Salem in Winston-Salem may be another destination place.

Good luck! The reason I mention the cultural difference is that you are in the Old South. It''s a different animal if you''ve never lived in the "South". Debutants, manners, formal ways are still alive and well.

Mandarine

Ideal_Rock
9.gif

Thank you ladies!!!!

Poptart - I actually had that link in my favorites already...hehe....I have a "NC" folder....I just love it and hope to go on vacation there soon!
36.gif

Fire&Ice - Those sound like great recommendations!!!!!!!!!. I will definitely like a smaller town feel and sounds like we would really like Blowing Rock from your description!. I also want to make it convenient for travelling (i.e.: location close to a somewhat major airport)...

Thank you all
9.gif

M~

janinegirly

Ideal_Rock
mandarine, where are you from in FL? We''re thinking of making a quick long wkend trip somewhere just to getaway from the hustle and bustle, and were thinking of Key West since it''s fairly reasonable right now. It''s off season, so hopefully not too boisterous. Are there any good (romantic? i know that''s strange seeing how it''s Key West) b&b''s you know of or general recommendations? thx sorry for the temp hijack..

Mandarine

Ideal_Rock
No problem Janine!...

I don''t know much about romantic in Key West because when I went with friends and pretty much just partied!.

I do recommend doing the Katamaran day trip (snorkling) it''s a lot of fun and could be romantic!. They also have a "sunset crusie"...you take off, drink champagne and watch the sunset (I''ve never done it but heard it was pretty nice).

As far as B&B...I think I stayed at one called Chelsea...the room was nice and very private. Pretty close to Duval street!. They have a nice Italian restaurant on Duval street (can''t remember the name right now though!).

If you have the money, I have heard Cheeca Lodge (it''s in Islamorada)...is a resort that is suppossed to be amazing!!!!!!!!!!!!

If I think of anything else I will let you know
9.gif

M~

therighttime

Shiny_Rock
I grew up in East Tennessee in the county bordering North Carolina. We weren''t far from Boone, Blowing Rock etc. It''s a beautiful area, especially in late fall. It''s not so touristy as Gatlinburt and the smokey mountains have become. My brother got married in August in Atlanta, and spent his honeymoon in Boone because he loves that area.

Here is a link to a wedding chapel in Blowing Rock. http://www.chetola.com/weddings.html

Mandarine

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/14/2006 5:02:57 PM
Author: therighttime
I grew up in East Tennessee in the county bordering North Carolina. We weren''t far from Boone, Blowing Rock etc. It''s a beautiful area, especially in late fall. It''s not so touristy as Gatlinburt and the smokey mountains have become. My brother got married in August in Atlanta, and spent his honeymoon in Boone because he loves that area.

Here is a link to a wedding chapel in Blowing Rock. http://www.chetola.com/weddings.html

Thank you!!!! that place looks amazing!
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif

You guys are awesome!
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif

M~

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
I don''t think Boone has a regional airport. So, airtravel may be tough. I think you are about 1 1/2 hours to Charlotte (hub airport) & I think about 3/4hour to Hickory (small regional). The boone or blowing rock tourist board would probably be happy to give you that information. The good thing about Asheville is that they do have a decent airport.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
We live about an hour to an hour and a half from Boone and Blowing Rock. Older daughter goes to college in Boone. We love the NC mountains. Asheville is more of a city while Blowing Rock is a quaint smaller town. Many tourists love to visit the Biltmore House when in the Asheville area.

As much as I love the NC mountains, this is my most favorite mountain place, Mountain Lake, Virginia. The stone hotel and some of the other scenes in Dirty Dancing were filmed here. The hotel rooms include 2 meals a day, and the food is excellent. We have seen weddings here. Most use the gazebo overlooking the lake, weather permitting. I guess you''d have to use the ballroom inside if it rained. Roanoke, VA is the nearest airport.

http://www.mountainlakehotel.com/

Mandarine

Ideal_Rock
Thanks diamondseeker!!! and thanks fire&ice!!!

Virginia was also my second option...hehe...I also already have that link in my favortites folder!!!...hahaha. I guess maybe I have too much time on my hands sometimes
2.gif

That place does look very cool!!!!!!!! Thanks for sharing!
36.gif

I haven't really done much research yet on Boone or Blowing rock...I guess 1.5 hours drive from Charlotte is not too bad of a drive!...I will need to get on it and then show my BF...he loves the mountains and the smaller towns so I'm sure he would also love it (it will probably just make him want to go on vacation! hehe)

Thanks ladies!!!!!!!
10.gif

M~

Liquiddazi

Shiny_Rock
Originally, I am from Texas, but I grew up in North Carolina, another Raliegh person. There are TONS of places that are wonderful in NC. If you don''t want a beach wedding and want a destination wedding, there are TONS of places that are wonderful in Asheville! My boyfriend and I just went there in August and we had so much fun. If you want to move here, it depends on what you want, small town or big town. The three major big towns are Raleigh, Greensboro, and Charlotte. All have there pros and cons. Greenville, NC is up and growing as well as other places. And like mentioned before, Carrboro is a very neat place. They have one of the best "diners" called Elmos. NC definitely has a lot of diversity!

indecisive

Brilliant_Rock
Part of my really wants to get married in the Outer Banks but Fi''s cousin is getting married there the month before us
15.gif
. It is gorgeous there though!

fisherofmengirly

Ideal_Rock

I''ve lived in NC for the past three years, and while I''m really, really, really excited to move to a more metro part of Georgia *and to be with my almost-husband!!!*, I agree that this is a beautiful state.

There are such lovely country, winding roads. And the autumns here are BREATH TAKING! Paul and I did our engagement pictures the first weekend in November, and most of them were taken outside, with the beautiful leaves and fall colors as our back drop. I adore fall. Coming from Southern Cali, I hadn''t seen leaves change the colors that they do here: deep crimson, vibrant orange, glowing golden, it''s amazing.

I also love the Blue Ridge Parkway. It''s a great ride, any time of year. The Outer Banks are gorgeous, too. It''s a very pretty state! In spring, the dogwoods blossoming everywhere is not only gorgeous, but also the *BEST* smell, too.

It''s a good state. Where I live is super rural, and I don''t love that, but there is much beauty to be seen in the sweet country land of the south.

I would definitely plan a visit if I were you, Mandarine. In the winter, they have the Festival of Lights in Clemmons, or something named sort of like that, near Winston-Salem, and that is still the best display of Christmas lights I''ve ever seen. They have a giant marshmellow roasting pit, too. Gosh, that will forever be a memory of mine. Such a simple, sweet, fun thing to do.

And to think I moved here hating the place!

emwink.gif

Mandarine

Ideal_Rock
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif
...it all sounds so lovely!

Thank you all!!

We would like to move there or Colorado...but we''re not going anywahere...at least not in the nex 10 years or so! hehe....
7.gif

I think we will take a trip to NC in the Spring and check it out
2.gif
. I think Asheville might be the way to go...although Boone looks very nice too!!!.

Thanks!!!!

M~

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
There is not as much to do in Boone as there is in Asheville. Boone is very much a college town with Appalachian State University there.

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
Actually there is tons of stuff to do in the Boone/Blowing Rock area. Just depends on what you like to do. Lots of little shops, restaurants, antique stores, hiking & biking trails, beautiful vistas, etc. A good friend had a second home up there & when we visited, we were never at a loss for things to do.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/21/2006 11:38:04 AM
Author: fire&ice
Actually there is tons of stuff to do in the Boone/Blowing Rock area. Just depends on what you like to do. Lots of little shops, restaurants, antique stores, hiking & biking trails, beautiful vistas, etc. A good friend had a second home up there & when we visited, we were never at a loss for things to do.
Yes, Blowing Rock is lovely and we have been there many times. We are about to go to Boone for our daughter''s graduation and believe it or not, we are having trouble finding restaurants that will take reservations! Most of the restaurants are more geared to the college crowd...sandwiches, etc.

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
Try Blowing Rock - much better restaurants. Off the top of my head - Best Cellars or Krippen''s (sp?). Also, many of the B&B''s have restaurants that will seat you.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results