shape
carat
color
clarity

Let's have fun with a spess

Atwater

Brilliant_Rock
I posted my spess at the vendor/own pictures and it created too much interest for that thread. So let's have fun in its own thread here.
The spess is from Precision Gem:
Gene2100_Spessarite_2.03ct.jpg
IMG_1337.jpg IMG_1334.jpg IMG_1339.jpg IMG_1344.jpg IMG_1357.jpg
And the spess on a purple flower:
IMG_1348.jpg IMG_1353.jpg

Attachments

• Gene2100_Spessarite_2.03ct.jpg
    Gene2100_Spessarite_2.03ct.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 33

Atwater

Brilliant_Rock
The following is posted by the talented @Rfisher :
You_Doodle_2019-04-27T23_07_30Z.jpg You_Doodle_2019-04-27T23_14_44Z.jpg You_Doodle_2019-04-27T23_15_18Z.jpg
Wow!!! I am really impressed, thanks! Yes, the flower design was the first one I tried. I also found this 4mmx3mm purple sapphire melee at https://www.etsy.com/listing/667456...gascar-sapphire-oval?ref=shop_home_active_28; I also plotted them out with the exact size.
il_1588xN.1596397457_i0zx.jpg Capture.JPG
I was not sure how I would like the flower design. It is cute/lovely, but I was not sure. Then I remembered I have a pair of grape garnets, so I have almost decided I am going to set it like this. What do you girls think?
IMG_1404.jpg

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Neon apatite or mint garnet would look very nice as well. So glad you started a thread on this gem!!!

Sungura

Brilliant_Rock
C94D4D38-3046-48B4-9B6C-47D0A20344B0.jpeg 6A799FCA-DF0B-4940-ADC8-835D7E1FE6B0.jpeg As soon as I saw that spess with the purple garnets I thought “Stop the Car”. It’s the name of a blend of tulips from my favorite tulip supplier: Colorblends.

That said I do love pink and orange

This is a fun thread

Atwater

Brilliant_Rock
C94D4D38-3046-48B4-9B6C-47D0A20344B0.jpeg 6A799FCA-DF0B-4940-ADC8-835D7E1FE6B0.jpeg As soon as I saw that spess with the purple garnets I thought “Stop the Car”. It’s the name of a blend of tulips from my favorite tulip supplier: Colorblends.

That said I do love pink and orange

This is a fun thread
Oh, I love this color combination! These are really jewel colors:appl:

Atwater

Brilliant_Rock
Neon apatite or mint garnet would look very nice as well. So glad you started a thread on this gem!!!
Thank you for pointing out the high crown. I had no clue of it and its impact.

Sungura

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you for pointing out the high crown. I had no clue of it and its impact.

The high crown is gorgeous and would look great in a three stone ring so you can admire its beautiful form when you look at the profile of your ring

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
3409AA76-AB3C-4F74-8398-04FD80433AB6.jpeg I was thinking of a three stone ring with three pastels, like chrysoberyl and a minty gem like garnet or tourmaline. That would be pretty as well if you wanted to go thre three stone route. It just might be harder to source those other two in the dimensions you need.

Here’s a box of pastel gems, lavender spinels, chrysoberyl, Aqua, mint tourmaline, with a a spessartite, so you can get an idea of various colors with an orange spessartite.

Last edited:

voce

Ideal_Rock
Hey Atwater, have you already purchased those 4x3mm sapphires from Yvonne? I was just looking at how many she had left of those, and it looks like she has just one listed. She had a bunch at Tucson, but a lot got bought out quickly. I myself had purchased 8 of them during her Tucson sale. If she doesn't have the number you need, you may have to wait to set this with those lavender sapphires. She said on a blog and also in some of her listings that she can only get these lavender sapphires from one vendor based in Asia who only visits North America once per year during Tucson. They are in high demand and sell out easily.

I still like the spess and purple garnet idea, but what do you think about hot pink for your side stones?

Atwater

Brilliant_Rock
Hey Atwater, have you already purchased those 4x3mm sapphires from Yvonne? I was just looking at how many she had left of those, and it looks like she has just one listed. She had a bunch at Tucson, but a lot got bought out quickly. I myself had purchased 8 of them during her Tucson sale. If she doesn't have the number you need, you may have to wait to set this with those lavender sapphires. She said on a blog and also in some of her listings that she can only get these lavender sapphires from one vendor based in Asia who only visits North America once per year during Tucson. They are in high demand and sell out easily.

I still like the spess and purple garnet idea, but what do you think about hot pink for your side stones?
Yes, I bought 8 of them this afternoon. I have almost decided that I was going with the 3-stone idea, but then I had a second thought after the reply posts at that vendor/own picture thread. I think at least I should have a direct comparison to see which one I like better. I think the combination with the lavender purple sapphire would look more delicate, while the current 3-stone combination with the grape garnet has a more intense feel.

Besides, I have also been contemplating about setting an umballite with the light purple sapphire. If they do not work out with the spess, they may work well with the cushion cut 8x8mm umballite. I can use them as halo for the umballite.

Atwater

Brilliant_Rock
3409AA76-AB3C-4F74-8398-04FD80433AB6.jpeg I was thinking of a three stone ring with three pastels, like chrysoberyl and a minty gem like garnet or tourmaline. That would be pretty as well if you wanted to go thre three stone route. It just might be harder to source those other two in the dimensions you need.

Here’s a box of pastel gems, lavender spinels, chrysoberyl, Aqua, mint tourmaline, with a a spessartite, so you can get an idea of various colors with an orange spessartite.
Oh, TL, you have so many goodies~~ Yeah, lavender spinels and chrysoberyl will all look nice with the spess.

Reactions: T L

voce

Ideal_Rock
Yes, I bought 8 of them this afternoon. I have almost decided that I was going with the 3-stone idea, but then I had a second thought after the reply posts at that vendor/own picture thread. I think at least I should have a direct comparison to see which one I like better. I think the combination with the lavender purple sapphire would look more delicate, while the current 3-stone combination with the grape garnet has a more intense feel.

Besides, I have also been contemplating about setting an umballite with the light purple sapphire. If they do not work out with the spess, they may work well with the cushion cut 8x8mm umballite. I can use them as halo for the umballite.
Ok, so glad you were able to get them, so the sapphires are an option! I asked you for pictures of your other CS rings, and you said you only had 4. Are you holding on to a lot of loose gems from back in the day, or have you been going on a secret acquisition binge? :twisted2:
(I totally did binge when I wasn't supposed to when Yvonne went to Tucson.)

Atwater

Brilliant_Rock
5FBC77A8-3E0A-4C54-A18D-100AA301778A.jpeg Here is my loliondo spess with mahenge spinel. They are not glowing pink mahenges. A bit lighter pink
Is the ring in rose gold or yellow gold? It looks like nice with the color combination.

Atwater

Brilliant_Rock
Ok, so glad you were able to get them, so the sapphires are an option! I asked you for pictures of your other CS rings, and you said you only had 4. Are you holding on to a lot of loose gems from back in the day, or have you been going on a secret acquisition binge? :twisted2:
(I totally did binge when I wasn't supposed to when Yvonne went to Tucson.)
The umballite is from ~8 years ago, cut by Gene as well. If I remember correctly, it is a concave cut.
Gene_Umbalite.png

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The umballite is from ~8 years ago, cut by Gene as well. If I remember correctly, it is a concave cut.
Gene_Umbalite.png

Beautiful umbalite. That mint tourmaline in the box was cut by Gene too, one of his earlier cuts before he started getting all fancy with the more modern cuts.

Oh my goodness, you need to start a thread on setting that stone as well!!

ilovegemstones

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I wanted that spess! So happy for you - it's beautiful.

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
68BBD13F-CBA2-417D-9FD7-B49F7C54A720.jpeg 6DCDC6D7-F789-43E1-8154-6329C43686E4.jpeg

I love the orange and pink or purple look! It would be amazing with your beautiful spess. I can imagine it really working well.

Another example of this color range combo...this bracelet is in 18k yellow gold, spess garnets with pink spinels.

Sungura

Brilliant_Rock
01D0E1B6-23C9-4410-96DE-6808102D1F29.jpeg 5F3E15CF-0D91-447D-9DB4-3193997EF946.jpeg
Is the ring in rose gold or yellow gold? It looks like nice with the color combination.
It is 14k rose gold. I wear more yellow but in this case yellow gold felt more like a third color. The picture above shows the speed ring on top of an amethyst ring in 14k gold and the twisted earring below is 18k yellow. The spess is 6.5x8mm and the spinel sides are 5mm

The other pic shows the ring next to a 5mm purple garnet. Btw my spess isn’t nearly the quality and cut of yours.

Sungura

Brilliant_Rock
68BBD13F-CBA2-417D-9FD7-B49F7C54A720.jpeg 6DCDC6D7-F789-43E1-8154-6329C43686E4.jpeg

I love the orange and pink or purple look! It would be amazing with your beautiful spess. I can imagine it really working well.

Another example of this color range combo...this bracelet is in 18k yellow gold, spess garnets with pink spinels.

blugemz - This spess spinel combo looks great In 18k yellow. I did that combo in rose but now i see that 18k yellow is beautiful. Love the bracelet

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
blugemz - This spess spinel combo looks great In 18k yellow. I did that combo in rose but now i see that 18k yellow is beautiful. Love the bracelet
Hey thank you! I really love the combo with rose gold too, as in your lovely ring! I think the yellow gold is more spess like, where as rose gold is more pink spinel like. Either works really well. I’m definitely a fan of warm metal with this color combination because it’s like Summer in its warmth.

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I really want to make a matching ring someday. I bought a spess but I think it’s too reddish and too small for my hand, but I might still use it just for fun, even if it’s not my ideal ring.

Atwater

Brilliant_Rock

Wow, your bracelet is beautiful! I have been debating whether to use yellow gold or rose gold. I love rose gold with green or blue-green stones, but I was not sure about it with the spess. Your bracelet sure steered me more towards yellow gold. They look so rich together.

01D0E1B6-23C9-4410-96DE-6808102D1F29.jpeg 5F3E15CF-0D91-447D-9DB4-3193997EF946.jpeg
It is 14k rose gold. I wear more yellow but in this case yellow gold felt more like a third color. The picture above shows the speed ring on top of an amethyst ring in 14k gold and the twisted earring below is 18k yellow. The spess is 6.5x8mm and the spinel sides are 5mm

The other pic shows the ring next to a 5mm purple garnet. Btw my spess isn’t nearly the quality and cut of yours.
Thank you for the comparison. Now I think both rose gold and yellow gold works well for this color combination. Maybe rose gold works a little better with the purple stone than yellow gold, and yellow gold may work a little better with the spess than the rose gold.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results