shape
carat
color
clarity

Let''s compare 3 stones

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

jp1k

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the advice on fluorescence. I found plenty of info on this site. I think I like stones with fluorescence.

I''ve decided I can''t afford a true 3/4 ct, so I''m looking a bit smaller. I''ve narrowed my search done to 3 particular stones, all ideal cut, and here they are:

.71ct
VVS1
F
ex polish
ex symmetry
fluorescence SB (does that mean strong or slight?)
depth 61.7
table 56
girdle md-stk
culet non

.65 ct
VS2
D
polish ex
symmetry ex
fluorescence MED
depth 61.9
table 56
girlde medsthk
culet non

VS2
D
polish ex
symmetry ex
fluorescence faint
depth 60.6
table 55
girdle thin to med, faceted
culet none

The .65 stone is $350 cheaper than the other two, which are about equal in price.

Opinions?

Thanks,
Jp

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
Jp1k, can you post a bit more info, please?

Price of each, grading reports (GIA, EGL, etc), measurements?

Otherwise, it is impossible to compare these numbers.
1.gif

jp1k

Rough_Rock
No problem. All above diamonds are GIA. The prices and dimensions are as follow:

.71 VVS1, F
5.71*5.77*3.54
$2835

.65 VS2, D
5.55-5.57-3.44
$2563

jp1k

Rough_Rock
No problem. All above diamonds are GIA. The prices and dimensions are as follow:

.71 VVS1, F
5.71*5.77*3.54
$2835

.65 VS2, D
5.55-5.57-3.44
$2563

.69 VS2, D
5.74x5.78x3.49 mm
$2948

Thanks!
Jp

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
Hi

...my mantra....

have you thought about going w/ a G VS2 stone. WIth a great cut & the size of the stone it should face up very white & be eye clean. You would be able to go over 3/4 c.

Also, if you are looking for a fluor stone - a "g" may be a better choice.

As far a "SB" , you should ask - as it probably means "slight blue". Usually, but not always, strong blue is listed as such or ST.

jp1k

Rough_Rock
I just called and checked on the fluorescence of that VVS1 stone. SB is Strong at diamond.com. I think that will be too much, so I'll probably cross that one off the list.

Let me do some searching for G stones. I'll post and see what you guys think.

Thanks!
Jp

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
Strong blue is not always a bad thing, especially if you like the look. St.bl. is usually discounted in the DEF range.

It becomes a problem when it is "overblue". The stone appears milky or oily in sunlight. An effect that is not very common.

Again, the only valid point (except for the overblue) for not liking St. Bl. Fluor is that the stone may appear purpley blue in sunlight. I like this.

jp1k

Rough_Rock
After a quick search, I didn't find any G's, but here are some near colorless (G-I) stones of more carat weight. All of the following stones are ideal cut, ex/ex polish& symmetry and graded by the GIA.
Let's compare:

.76, I, VVS2
5.89-5.91-3.62
depth 61.4
table 56
girdle med
culet non
fluorescence med
$2724

.75, H, VVS1
5.82-5.88-3.61
depth 61.7
table 56
girdle medsthk
culet non
fluorescence med
$3226

.75, H, VS2
5.83x5.87x3.62
depth 61.9
table 56
girdle thin to medium
culet none
fluorescence none
$3123

.81, I, VVS2
5.94x5.99x3.65
depth 61.2
table 57
girdle medium to thick
culet none
fluorescence med
$3177

Thoughts?
Thanks.... Jp

DiamondExpert

Brilliant_Rock
With a very well cut ideal, you might even consider H and I colors up to 1ct...you might be surprised how white they look.

Just curious how you know the 3 stones you posted above are ideal - we can't tell from the limited data you have given. Do you have proportional analyses?

Also, remember not all ideals are created equal - some look better than others.

Of the 3 above and with the limited data, I personally like the 3rd the best...not quite so deep as the others and has a faceted girdle - just my personal prefs.

Finally, when looking at other stones, don't shoot yourself in the foot in rejecting an otherwise great stone if it has VG polish and/or symmetry unless you have a real hangup about these. VG's are not eye-visibly different from Ex's.

jp1k

Rough_Rock
If that is true about the strong fluorescence, and I decide that "strong" is OK, many more possibilities open up. The problem is, since I'm shopping mostly on the web, I can't see the actual stone. I'm sure I could call and get a rep to describe it to me..

Also, by dropping down in the near colorless range, there are many more possibilities too...

The big question is do I want to sacrifice color (and it may not be that much of a sacrifice) for carat? I am only searching to get the weight up to or over .75. Of course, .75 was the original goal and what I had set, but I'm asking myself "is .75 really that big a deal?" I think I am kinda stuck on the idea that it needs to be a true 3/4 ct stone.

Later, a wrap with side stones will be added to this solitare. The side stones will total up to about 1/3 ct; so she'll be getting 1ct total weight regardless of which center stone I go with.

Keep the advice coming! Thanks... Jp

jp1k

Rough_Rock
Gary- Thanks for the info. I'll consider the VG polish and symmetry and see what possibilities I find as well. Also, I added the info on length to width for the above stones. Of those first 3, I like the 3rd one best too. So far, its my favorite one under .75.

I'll continue to search..
Jp

Giangi

Ideal_Rock
SB usually stands for strong blue. Only EGL and IGI Antwerp use slight (and fluorecence color isn't mentioned on IGI cert as for aa european normative). Usually slight is listed as sl or slt; strong as str, stb, sb, sbl.

BTW, I really like that 0.69 VS 2 D.
1.gif

Nate

Shiny_Rock
I know the clarity is a bit lower than what you might be looking for... SI1 is eye clean though
1.gif

0.71ct, F, SI1, H&A, AGS 0
60.8% depth
56% table
AGS cert
0.7-1.0 girdle
no culet
ideal symmetry
ideal polish
mb flour
5.8x5.83x3.53
price $2276

0.76ct, D, SI1, H&A, AGS 0
62.6% depth
54% table
AGS cet
thn-st gridle
no culet
ideal symmetry
ideal polish
stg flour
5.87x5.83x3.66
price $3014

kiwifuz

Rough_Rock
Nate, where are those 2 that you posted from? That's similar to what I'm looking for also. Thanks!

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
What do you mean no G's? Are you only looking on Diamond.Com? Newsflash...there are tons of other vendors out there who have better stones (real excellent cut not just an ideal marker slapped on them) and may be cheaper.

I ran a cut quality search on Pscope using their vendors and came up with 23 stones between .70 and .80 c F-G color and VVS-SI1 clarity. All excellent cut stones, with numbers to back it up, not just their word on a website. Oh and I have to say..I have a G stone and its white white white. Compared it side by side to an E while shopping, no difference at all to us.

http://www.niceice.com/certcopies/gia12555237/index.htm
.75c G VS2 AGS 0 $3000

http://www.whiteflash.com/acut/diamond_details.asp?ItemCode=2516
.74 G SI1 AGS 0 A Cut Above SuperIdeal H&A $3000

http://www.whiteflash.com/acut/diamond_details.asp?ItemCode=2565
.76 F SI1 AGS 0 ACA SuperIdeal H&A $3400

http://www.whiteflash.com/acut/diamond_details.asp?ItemCode=365077
.76 H SI1 AGS 0 ACA SuperIdeal H&A $2800

http://www.niceice.com/certcopies/gia12408855/index.htm
.78 H SI1 AGS 0 H&A $2900

There were about 10 from www.goodoldgold.com as well that were around your price range and requirements. All well cut I am sure...as GOG sells the good stuff.

So not sure what your priorities are but in case you are not searching outside of Diamond.Com...there are some choices for you. Those are all excellent, highly recommended vendors, not that Diamond.Com is not...but the above vendors have reports, closeups of the stones, crown and pavilion angles and more to help you learn and feel comfortable that your purchase really IS a well-cut stone..not just take their word for it.

Oh and fluorescence is something you will probably hardly ever see..so I would suggest not making it a big differentiator in your purchase (in my opinion anyway). Stay away from very strong blues as they are just too tricky with an online purchase, med and faint are okay in my opinion. Many stones have faint, so it's kind of fun to have a stone with faint. If a stone has fluor, it will be discounted the higher the fluor so its an opp to save $$ if you find one that you like.

Hope this helps, good luck.

jp1k

Rough_Rock
Hey, thanks for everything! Of course, I was looking at other vendors as well.. And I found some other stones that I think are suitable, but I fell in love with one of the first stones I found. Since I was ready to make my decision, I went for it. I knew deep down that if that stone sold, and I didn't get it, I would regret it. I made the decision that having a true 3/4 carat was not that important. The stone I decided on?
Here it is:

.69 ct, D, VS2
ideal cut, ex/ex polish/symmetry
5.74x5.78x3.49 mm
60.6 depth
55 table
no culet
thin to med, faceted girdle
with a faint blue fluorescence

It'll be here in a week, and once I get it, I'll be sure to post pics for everyone.

Thanks again for all of your help!! I think I've fallen in love with diamonds now!

Jp

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results