shape
carat
color
clarity

Let’s talk sunscreen, what’s your favorite?

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Since I have had numerous skin cancers removed ( three in 3 weeks) I am very very good about sunscreen. As you can see from my profile photo I am very fair. When I was a baby my parents loved the Jersey Shore. I’m talking little baby. My father was very dark and never burned. Most people thought he was Italian. ( he was not). My parents took me on the beach till I blistered and then covered me with a shirt and kept me out longer. Pretty much 9-5, no umbrella. I was not a tanner in HS except for beach week. Now the sun feels like poison to me and I try to stay in. I hate sunscreen for it’s heavy feeling. I just bought Australian Gold spf 50 with Kona coffee bronzer. It’s lightweight, silky feeling, no greasy after feel. I’m not sure it made any difference in my color. ( the color is superficial, it washes off in the shower. Not one of those that reacts with the skin and makes you orange). I also like a Drunk elephant, supergoop and coppertone light spray mist. Why are we obsessed with being tan anyways? What’s wrong with pale skin?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
LRP Anthelios Ultra Cream SPF50 PPD35 (EU only) is my fav. Light weight, no white cast, dries down in seconds, not sticky or greasy and doesn't sting my eyes even when I slather all over my eyelids. I apply 4 pumps just for my face, so it's a lot.

Currently testing out LRP Anthelios Sun Intolerance SPF50 PPD39 (EU only). Just like the above sunscreen but slightly better UVA protection at the expense of a bit of white cast.

Can't wait to try out Riemann P20 Kids which has a supposed PPD50+, is cosmetically elegant and cheaper.

I tan within minutes of sun exposure. I wear sunscreen not to avoid burns or tanning, but to prevent my sun spots from getting worse. Didn't know sunscreen existed when I was growing up. Didn't know anything about sun exposure either so I would go to the beach and play outdoor sports for hours (and years) without sun protection for umpteen years.

Reactions: AV_

MaisOuiMadame

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My parents took me on the beach till I blistered and then covered me with a shirt and kept me out longer. Pretty much 9-5, no umbrella.

:eek2:

I'm glad you're still with us @AprilBaby !

I lost a childhood friend to skin cancer when I was 16 , he was 19 and gone in 4 months. His parents were better about the topic than yours, but he got burned very very frequently from a young age and they were all very tan ALL THE TIME.

I've embraced my super pale skin from age 16.

My favourite sunscreen is Isehan Sunkiller. Lightweight, invisible, lasts all day.

I went skiing for a whole sunny day with my family (they tan very easily) and forgot to take the sunscreen with me. Nobody burned, nobody even got a sunglass mark/ tan.
Impressive.

Second favourite: LA Roche posay anthelios 50+ invisible

Last edited:

Asscherhalo_lover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I only use physical sunscreens with minerals, not chemical. For my face I use Drunk Elephant Umbra Tint or Supergoop CC, for the body any mineral 30+ will do. I reapply as directed. I will let my body get a certain level of exposure since I need vitamin D but I do not let myself burn. On my face I wear the sunscreen no matter what, even if it's an inside day and throughout the year. I was badly burned several times as a child and I know the damage is already done. I'll be 35 in November and need to start the annual derm pilgrimage to be checked. Both of my DHs parents have had skin cancer several times.

737liz

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I love using shiseido wetforce spf50 tinted face when i am out doing sweaty watersports stuff, but know I may have pictures taken of me. It stays PUT. I an a scuba diver and it even holds after a 50 minute dive with my mask slipping about. It is a mineral sunscreen. The tint helps me see if I have missed any areas too. It is heavily tinted though so may appear too thick for some. Like, it looks like I have a full coverage doundation on when I apply the recommended amount.

For daily wear I just started using avene spf50 cleanance for acne prone skin because I am a middle aged woman blessed with acne AND fine lines, hooray. It does a good job as well but feels more traditional as it is a chemical sunscreen. Edit: it is NOT chemical... It is mineral. Oops.

Lancaster sport is another great non oily one that holds and doesn't pill. It smells a bit too much though.

La roche posay anthelios spf50 dermokids invisible spray is AMAZING for body. It i truly invisible. I cannot tell I have it on. So lightweight, and neither drying or sticky.

I tan to a dark brown, but have finally realised the importance of sunscreen.

For

Last edited:

Elizabeth35

Brilliant_Rock
I burn, freckle and peel---I'm a ginger. And I have had Squamous cell skin cancer.
Great recommendations here, and some new names to try out.
I also use an Anthelios tinted 50 SPF on my face on vacation when I want to have some color.

I also keep a small tube in my console to use on the back of my hands when driving, or if I make an unexpected stop someplace outdoors. Another bottle is on my gardening shelf in the garage so before I put on gloves to to yard work I apply to any exposed skin.

MaisOuiMadame

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I stash those little Isehan bottles everywhere, like you, @Elizabeth35 ...my bathroom with my make-up, all handbags, car, kitchen drawer, powder room...

Q

Queenie60

I use Skinceuticals - it's sheer and light feeling on the skin.

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think sunscreen is a good idea (obviously!) but I am concerned about whether these new mixtures that seem to just 'disappear' on the skin are made using nanotechnology. :???:

finerthings

Brilliant_Rock
Reading this thread with interest. I am over 60 with very sensitive skin, mild rosacea, and previous basal cell carcinoma on my forehead. I currently don't use much sunscreen due to my sensitivity, but I wear hats which I hate when the temperature gets hot outside. Hope to hear about some good non-chemical recommendations for sensitive skin on this thread. Thanks for bringing up the topic!

Gussie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have been wearing Dr. Jart + Cicapair for my face. Since it is quite thick and green, it is only recommended for people with reddish skin. The green color really evens out the blotchy, ruddy red skin I have. I love this stuff.

caf

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I use Glo Minerals/Glo beauty for face. Light but good coverage.

Asscherhalo_lover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Reading this thread with interest. I am over 60 with very sensitive skin, mild rosacea, and previous basal cell carcinoma on my forehead. I currently don't use much sunscreen due to my sensitivity, but I wear hats which I hate when the temperature gets hot outside. Hope to hear about some good non-chemical recommendations for sensitive skin on this thread. Thanks for bringing up the topic!

Def try the Drunk Elephant Umbra Tint, you can get it from Sephora. If it doesn't work for you you can return it with no issues. If you are VERY pale you can get the regular Umbra without the tint.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have super sensitive and reactive skin and can only use physical sunscreens. My favorite is COTZ untinted. It protects my pale reactive skin without any negative side effects.

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have super sensitive and reactive skin and can only use physical sunscreens. My favorite is COTZ untinted. It protects my pale reactive skin without any negative side effects.

I want to see some non-physical sunscreens ;-) lol

'The power of thought protect thee!!'

:lol:

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
None, I hate applying anything to my skin, sunscreen, lotion etc.
I do wear big hats, & long sleeves.
I don't wear gloves but will put my hands in pockets or move one hand to the side of my body that's in the shade.

I strictly avoid all activities in the sun.
I never spend one minute longer in the sun than I have to while, say, walking to my car.

At least I don't carry around a black umbrella though. :???:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I want to see some non-physical sunscreens ;-) lol

'The power of thought protect thee!!'

:lol:

Physical vs chemical sunscreens.

What is the difference between a physical and a chemical sunscreen?

Chemical sunscreen absorbs into the skin and then absorbs UV rays, converts the rays into heat, and releases them from the body. ... Physical sunblock sits on top of the skin and reflects the sun's rays. The minerals titanium dioxide and zinc oxide are the main active ingredients in physical blocks.”

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
None, I hate applying anything to my skin, sunscreen, lotion etc.
I do wear big hats, & long sleeves.
I don't wear gloves but will put my hands in pockets or move one hand to the side of my body that's in the shade.

I strictly avoid all activities in the sun.
I never spend one minute longer in the sun than I have to while, say, walking to my car.

At least I don't carry around a black umbrella though. :???:

I carry a beautiful parasol (actually protects from the sun vs a regular umbrella) under certain conditions when I don’t want to wear sunscreen. It’s a good option.

C1104D6A-2CA5-423C-88C6-EE777E325C86.jpeg

and our bike has an spf canopy my dh made.

71162EFB-EC8B-4581-95AC-05FE2956BBEB.jpeg

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I was turned on to some extremely impressive Asian formulated ones, which I'm trying one by one. This past weekend I tried Biore UV Aqua Rich Watery Essence. I do like it a lot. No burning from being on the water while wearing this. I Its VERY thin, I put on 3 layers? but it sinks in really well without pilling. No white cast either which is fantastic. I still wear a hat and long sleeves (of course!) because the sun does me no favors (I'm quite sun sensitive because of my past chemo treatments)

I also didn't pick up any additional color from exposed areas like my hands or shins /tops of my feet, which is a huge plus!

I also purchased Nivea Sun Protect Super water gel and Shisedo Anessa for sensitive skin.

Reactions: AV_

donnabrsd

Brilliant_Rock
eltaMD. It does not irritate my sensitive eyes, it’s lightweight and it works on me (some do not). I've had Basal Cell skin cancer removed from my face 3 times (Mohs) along with other procedures to remove them from my chest. I use on my face, neck, chest and arms. My old favorite was one by Obagi. It left a slight white film but worth it when my kids were younger and we were all outside often.

Screen Shot 2020-06-04 at 3.59.33 PM.png Screen Shot 2020-06-04 at 4.04.10 PM.png

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Since I have had numerous skin cancers removed ( three in 3 weeks) I am very very good about sunscreen. As you can see from my profile photo I am very fair. When I was a baby my parents loved the Jersey Shore. I’m talking little baby. My father was very dark and never burned. Most people thought he was Italian. ( he was not). My parents took me on the beach till I blistered and then covered me with a shirt and kept me out longer. Pretty much 9-5, no umbrella. I was not a tanner in HS except for beach week. Now the sun feels like poison to me and I try to stay in. I hate sunscreen for it’s heavy feeling. I just bought Australian Gold spf 50 with Kona coffee bronzer. It’s lightweight, silky feeling, no greasy after feel. I’m not sure it made any difference in my color. ( the color is superficial, it washes off in the shower. Not one of those that reacts with the skin and makes you orange). I also like a Drunk elephant, supergoop and coppertone light spray mist. Why are we obsessed with being tan anyways? What’s wrong with pale skin?

im very sorry to read of your sun cancers
your parents generation didn't know the risk unfortunately
you see a lot of older people with skin cancer scares here (dramatic stuff like parts of ears missing)
ive been waiting for 20 30 40 years for pale to be in fashion
i don't know what sun lotions to trust
so many of them have been proved not to be strong enough for our sun - even the cancer society one failed a consumer watchdog test

i remember back in the day copperation cpf 4
honestly what was the point! ?

i dont like the greasy feel
but i do love the smell of the coconut ones
mind you so long as it doesn't smell bad, smell is irrelevant
i shell be reading this thread with interest with next summer in mind

LightBright

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Hi, does anyone know if their recommended sunscreen has only non nano zinc and no chemicals? I’m looking for a wearable super safe zinc only sunscreen. I used to use Burnout when it was the first formulation, but it changed. From then on I tried all the baby sunscreens but they were all greasy. I now use no sunscreen, but a Sunday Afternoons hat, stretchy cotton tube scarf from Sea Salt (Wales) and Fishing gloves made of tight UPF legging material plus sun protective clothing.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't carry an umbrella but I've got some SERIOUSLY impressive hats! From Coolibar, my "big one" has an 11" brim!

Haha same. And Greg has this impressive brim to add to his helmet when necessary.

Screen Shot 2020-06-05 at 6.36.28 AM.png

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi, does anyone know if their recommended sunscreen has only non nano zinc and no chemicals? I’m looking for a wearable super safe zinc only sunscreen. I used to use Burnout when it was the first formulation, but it changed. From then on I tried all the baby sunscreens but they were all greasy. I now use no sunscreen, but a Sunday Afternoons hat, stretchy cotton tube scarf from Sea Salt (Wales) and Fishing gloves made of tight UPF legging material plus sun protective clothing.

Hi @LightBright here is the ingredient list.

For the sensitive skin spf 40 body sunscreen:
Active Ingredients: Zinc Oxide 20% Purpose: Sunscreen Inactive Ingredients: C12-15 Alkyl Benzoate, Caprylhydroxamic Acid, Caprylyl Glycol, Cetyl PEG/PPG 10/1 Dimethicone, Cyclohexasiloxane, Cyclopentasiloxane, Dimethicone, Dimethicone Crosspolymer, Dimethicone/Vinyl Dimethicone Crosspolymer, Dimethiconol, Disodium EDTA, Glycerin, Hydrogen Dimethicone, Microcrystalline Wax, PEG-10 Dimethicone, PEG-30 Dipolyhydroxystearate, Polyglyceryl-4 Isostearate, Polyhydroxystearic Acid, Polysorbate 20, Sodium Chloride, Stearyl Dimethicone, Tetrahexyldecyl Ascorbate, Tocopheryl Acetate, Triethanolamine, Triethoxycaprylylsilane, Water

For the non tinted face spf 40 sunscreen:

Active Ingredients: Titanium Dioxide 8%, Zinc Oxide 3.8%Purpose: Sunscreen Inactive Ingredients: Alumina, Cyclohexasiloxane, Cyclopentasiloxane, Dimethicone, Dimethicone Crosspolymer, Dimethicone/Vinyl Dimethicone Crosspolymer, Dimethiconol, Lauryl PEG/PPG-18/18-Hydrogen Dimethicone, Hydrogen Dimethicone, PEG-10 Dimethicone

Here is a link to their page with all their sunscreens and the ingredients. HTH.

CōTZ stands for “Contains Only Titanium and Zinc.” All CōTZ sunscreens use Zinc Oxide alone or in combination with Titanium Dioxide. No chemical sunscreen filters.

chroman

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
For a Zinc Oxide/Titanium Dixoide based sunscreen, I’ve been using Blue Lizard Sport for the past year or so. Its not as thick as some other non-chemical based sunscreens I’ve tried in the past. If you can find it (I can only source it online), maybe check it out?

I go from zero to starting to burn in 15 mins or so, and have a family history, so sun protection is a must. But I love running outside...

SparklieBug

Brilliant_Rock

@missy Thank you for posting the link. Does this sunscreen leave a whitish caste on the skin at all? Is it "greasy" feeling after applying/absorbing somewhat?

I'm always on-the-hunt for the Holy Grail sunscreen. :bigsmile:

SparklieBug

Brilliant_Rock
Haha same. And Greg has this impressive brim to add to his helmet when necessary.

Screen Shot 2020-06-05 at 6.36.28 AM.png

My fave find while mtn. biking in Moab was DaBrim! Saw a guy using one and I seriously just wanted to steal his rather than wait for one in the mail. LOL! Is Greg's brim "DaBrim"? It looks similar to mine, only mine has a HUGE brim. It's like riding with my own shade tree or umbrella. LOVE it!

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Interestingly one of my patients whom I haven't seen for a while invented nano zinc oxide and he had great concerns about it getting into the body. I believe it was at Argonne Labs.
We die of sun, Chemicals or nano’s, pick your poison.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results