shape
carat
color
clarity

Let’s talk athleisure!

Tonks

Brilliant_Rock
Let’s talk workout clothes and athleisure! What brands and trends do you love and wear? What brands/trends are you not fond of?

I used to be a die-hard Lululemon fan, but their quality seems to have taken a nosedive in the last several years. I tried on two pairs of leggings yesterday. Both were the correct size, and both were see-through on the squat test. (Well, one was see-through, and one was a black pattern printed on a white background, so who knows if it actually was see-through or if it just looked that way). That’s just nuts. Many of my leggings have also stretched out in recent years. To their credit, Lulu will replace them if this happens, but it’s still a pain. However, they are still doing a fabulous job with their Define jackets. I practically live in mine.

Much of my business recently has gone to Athleta. They are absolutely killing it. Their leggings are comfortable, they wash well, there are tons of options with pockets. Pockets that will fit my giant phone! I also love their jeans. They have started to have more non-workout stuff in general, and some of it is good. Their sizing is weird, but once you figure it out, you’re good.

I’ve heard people rave about Fabletics, but I can’t wrap my mind around a subscription model for workout wear. I also have yet to find gym t-shirts I like as much as plain old Nike dri-fit or Underarmour. Sometimes basics are great.

As for trends, I don’t know that I do all that many. I see things on Instagram that no one really wears at the gym. Current trends seem to be for lots of cutout backs with strappy bras and tops, but that holds little appeal for me. I don’t like the idea of lying on a bench where a ton of other people have been sweating and having my bare skin out. Bleh. (And yes, they are supposed to clean it off. Most of them do). Still.

One trend I can’t get my mind around, for lounging at home...JOGGERS. Help me with this. I love a legging. I love a flare. Wide legs are great, too. But wth with joggers? Maybe it’s because I associate that look with Hammer pants....

Asscherhalo_lover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I LOVE Fablectics!!!! The subscription part can be "skipped" every month so as long as you're diligent you'll never pay it. If you do pay it it's basically just a credit towards whatever you might buy anyway. They even have retail locations now (I've got one by me) so it's really easy to exchange/ try on if needed. For the prices you can get when they have sales (which is when I buy) I've been super happy.

I also LOVE joggers! I have a bigger butt and smaller everything else so they're not too baggy on me :lol: and my DH likes them because he's got shorter legs and they don't go over his feet :P2

baby monster

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My gym provides basic workout t-shirts, shorts and socks. Towels, all toiletries and hair gadgets are free. They even lend sneakers. I love the no laundry option and don't care about how the clothes look so just bring my sports bra.

For leggings, my go-to is Old Navy. I like the fit and, for me, they are just as good as Athleta for third of the price.

I also don't understand joggers. They remind me of high school gym clothes .

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have a couple pairs of leggings & joggers forthcoming from Tommy John; they were supposed to be here yesterday, but now targeting Monday due to a holiday shipping delay. I’ll let you know how they are once I have them in-hand. I keep seeing ads for them on tv, was curious and figured I’d see what they’re all about.

OdetteOdile

Brilliant_Rock
I've been really happy with the full length yoga pants that I got at Old Navy recently.

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The best squat-proof tights I own are Nike Pro Dri-Fit and https://fammesportswear.com/ And I'm picky about the squat-proofness of my tights because I do not want my booty crack grinning at anyone at the gym. I've tried Onzie and they go a bit opaque on deep squats. Sweaty Betty is allegedly squat proof but I haven't tried them yet.

Tonks

Brilliant_Rock
I LOVE Fablectics!!!! The subscription part can be "skipped" every month so as long as you're diligent you'll never pay it. If you do pay it it's basically just a credit towards whatever you might buy anyway. They even have retail locations now (I've got one by me) so it's really easy to exchange/ try on if needed. For the prices you can get when they have sales (which is when I buy) I've been super happy.

I also LOVE joggers! I have a bigger butt and smaller everything else so they're not too baggy on me :lol: and my DH likes them because he's got shorter legs and they don't go over his feet :P2

I remember being told that about the subscription—that you could skip it. But I swear I would forget! There’s a location near me, too. Maybe I should reconsider...I don’t know. I’m having a philosophical issue with all the subscriptions that are popping up in general. You can‘t pay everyone every month! (But you so easily could if you signed up for all of them).

My daughter loves joggers and looks adorable in them. I look ridiculous. They seem to hit in a weird place on my lower leg so that they pull...almost like they’re not long enough. And then there’s the whole Hammer pant thing.

I’m still wearing my boot cut yoga pants around the house. Probably should bite the bullet and update.

Tonks

Brilliant_Rock
My gym provides basic workout t-shirts, shorts and socks. Towels, all toiletries and hair gadgets are free. They even lend sneakers. I love the no laundry option and don't care about how the clothes look so just bring my sports bra.

For leggings, my go-to is Old Navy. I like the fit and, for me, they are just as good as Athleta for third of the price.

I also don't understand joggers. They remind me of high school gym clothes .

What kind of gym do you go to that they provide clothes? That’s amazing! I’ve never heard of that. My gym is awesome, but they draw the line at towels. It’s a really cool place but kind of bare bones. No lockers or locker rooms. It’s in a massive old warehouse, so they have every piece of equipment known to man. The downside to the old warehouse part is that it is freezing in the winter and absolutely broiling in the summer. So my athletic wardrobe has changed a LOT. I have ended up keeping on layers to lift in the cold and wearing far tinier shorts than I ever would have dreamed in the summer.

Old Navy has leggings?!? I seriously had no idea. That’s fantastic to know—thanks for the tip! The other brand I forgot about that I liked a lot for a while is Calia by Carrie Underwood. It’s sold at Dick’s Sporting Good’s. It held up well and was cute and reasonably priced.

Tonks

Brilliant_Rock
The best squat-proof tights I own are Nike Pro Dri-Fit and https://fammesportswear.com/ And I'm picky about the squat-proofness of my tights because I do not want my booty crack grinning at anyone at the gym. I've tried Onzie and they go a bit opaque on deep squats. Sweaty Betty is allegedly squat proof but I haven't tried them yet.

Where do you get the Nike tights? I love their shirts. Agree with you on squat-proofness of tights. It shouldn’t be that hard! I have one pair of leggings I will not wear because they turn absolutely sheer in a squat. What a waste.

Glad to hear your thoughts on Onzie—had thought about them as an option at some point. I also like a lot of compression. Sweaty Betty looks like they have cute stuff.

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Where do you get the Nike tights?

I buy them online. Closest store to me is 5 hrs away. The Famme tights are really nice. I especially like the seamless ones,

Asscherhalo_lover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I remember being told that about the subscription—that you could skip it. But I swear I would forget! There’s a location near me, too. Maybe I should reconsider...I don’t know. I’m having a philosophical issue with all the subscriptions that are popping up in general. You can‘t pay everyone every month! (But you so easily could if you signed up for all of them).

My daughter loves joggers and looks adorable in them. I look ridiculous. They seem to hit in a weird place on my lower leg so that they pull...almost like they’re not long enough. And then there’s the whole Hammer pant thing.

I’m still wearing my boot cut yoga pants around the house. Probably should bite the bullet and update.

They send you an email every month and give you five days to skip, I just do it as soon as I get the email and then buy whenever I want. I also like that they have relatively inclusive sizing (up to 3x) and they will show you models of multiple sizes wearing the outfits. I appreciate that!

House Cat

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love old navy’s high rise compression pants. They aren’t see-through. They’re firm enough to hold everything in. I love the high rise, which reaches high enough to hold in all of my flaws. I have several pairs of the black and gray. I don’t care for the prints.

Tonks

Brilliant_Rock
I love old navy’s high rise compression pants. They aren’t see-through. They’re firm enough to hold everything in. I love the high rise, which reaches high enough to hold in all of my flaws. I have several pairs of the black and gray. I don’t care for the prints.

Isn’t high rise the best! I loooove high rise. Since several of you have mentioned Old Navy, that’s definitely gong on my list to check out.

I find that I do best when leggings have an internal drawstring. They inevitably want to slide down my hips as workouts get going (high rise helps this but doesn’t eliminate completely). That drawstring helps SOOO much.

Right now my solid favorites are the Athleta Contender leggings in camo. I have both dark colors and oh how I wish I’d bought the white. Sounds nuts but they looked great. I was a wimp because I worried about white leggings. Now, here I am months later wishing I’d bought them, and they’re sold out completely. It’s fantastic material. Completely opaque. And huge zippered pockets. I guess that would be bad if you were doing yoga or mat work because the zippers would dig in, though.

The other issue I keep having is sweat visibility. Had a gorgeous pair of red leggings from Lulu. And every time I wore them for a serious workout it looked like I’d peed all over myself. I don’t mind some sweat showing, but this was ridiculous. It didn’t really dry, and I was walking around looking like that. I returned them. And now when I try on leggings, I surreptitiously drip a drop from my water bottle on the material to see what happens. If it turns super dark and doesn’t dry quickly, I stay away. Unfortunately, that has meant most non-black colors are out. Patterns can be good to hide sweat though (hence the camo). If anyone has figured out a solution to this, I’m all ears.

baby monster

Ideal_Rock
Premium
What kind of gym do you go to that they provide clothes? That’s amazing! I’ve never heard of that. My gym is awesome, but they draw the line at towels. It’s a really cool place but kind of bare bones. No lockers or locker rooms. It’s in a massive old warehouse, so they have every piece of equipment known to man. The downside to the old warehouse part is that it is freezing in the winter and absolutely broiling in the summer. So my athletic wardrobe has changed a LOT. I have ended up keeping on layers to lift in the cold and wearing far tinier shorts than I ever would have dreamed in the summer.

Old Navy has leggings?!? I seriously had no idea. That’s fantastic to know—thanks for the tip! The other brand I forgot about that I liked a lot for a while is Calia by Carrie Underwood. It’s sold at Dick’s Sporting Good’s. It held up well and was cute and reasonably priced.

The company I work for rents space in building with an on site gym that is only open to tenants' employees. It's a very nice facility with lots of perks and super clean. Besides all of the perks, don't think I've ever been to such a clean gym.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results