shape
carat
color
clarity

Lengthening a Harry Winston bracelet

Mayacamus

Rough_Rock
Hello Pricescopers,

I found a Harry Winston bracelet in a local private invite estate auction. During the preview, I found a bracelet m BUT is too short for me,

I am not allowed to photograph the bracelet, im sorry...

I was thinking that I could take the central colored stone from the floral design (which is super simple) replace it with diamonds, and add one "flower" adding about a 3/4 inch in length. It would change the design in adding a diamond to the center what is now a 6 piece (one center ruby surrounded by 5 rubies) colored stone flower.

What are your thoughts about doing that type of alteration?

Thank you!
Maya

lissyflo

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
To me, the premium in branded pieces is because they represent and reflect the brand’s vision. The minute you customise them you’ve removed that, especially if you change a design element as you are suggesting, and not just adding plain length.

I guess the answer therefore depends on why you’re buying the bracelet. If it’s a long term purchase, I’d say change it to suit your tastes/wants/needs and enjoy it. If you’re buying because it’s cheap for a HW piece and have an eye on resale value, then altering it probably isn’t advisable financially. But then jewellery isn’t the most secure investment to start with...

Volute

Rough_Rock
Unless you have a particularly sentimental attachment to this bracelet, I agree with lissyflo that I wouldn't have it lengthened by anyone other than HW. I'll be watching this thread because I have a similar dilemma. It's too bad you need it lengthened rather than shortened!

Unless you have a particularly sentimental attachment to this bracelet, I agree with lissyflo that I wouldn't have it lengthened by anyone other than HW. I'll be watching this thread because I have a similar dilemma. It's too bad you need it lengthened rather than shortened!

I made a suggestion over on the original poster’s other thread on the CS forum, won’t post it again here because it was extremely long but the gist of it was: get an extender made in the style of the bracelet from another jeweler. It would cost significantly less than getting it altered by HW and will keep the value of the bracelet. You’ll be out the cost of labor and extra stones of course but you’d have to pay HW for that too, and labor costs at HW will far outstrip a local vendor!

Volute

Rough_Rock
I made a suggestion over on the original poster’s other thread on the CS forum, won’t post it again here because it was extremely long but the gist of it was: get an extender made in the style of the bracelet from another jeweler. It would cost significantly less than getting it altered by HW and will keep the value of the bracelet. You’ll be out the cost of labor and extra stones of course but you’d have to pay HW for that too, and labor costs at HW will far outstrip a local vendor!

This is a great idea, AllAboard! I don't know if it's possible in my case since I suspect even a very good match will be difficult, but I will look into it. It sounds like a perfect solution for a diamond HW piece. Thanks so much.

This is a great idea, AllAboard! I don't know if it's possible in my case since I suspect even a very good match will be difficult, but I will look into it. It sounds like a perfect solution for a diamond HW piece. Thanks so much.

You’re very welcome! If you can’t get an excellent match, I’d go the opposite direction and get a contrasting but complementary “clasp” - that way it looks deliberate and not an accident.

I had a friend who did this - she inherited a very pretty bracelet (not a branded one but a really intricate one) which was like a mat of diamond and gold, and to get an extension piece that would work for it wouldn’t be cost effective because the labor cost would’ve been higher than she was willing to spend. So she got a clasp piece that was like a green CS (don’t remember which one it was) set in a halo that looked like that mat, and then she would wear it with her clasp up, so it looked like a deliberate design.

Volute

Rough_Rock
You’re very welcome! If you can’t get an excellent match, I’d go the opposite direction and get a contrasting but complementary “clasp” - that way it looks deliberate and not an accident.

I had a friend who did this - she inherited a very pretty bracelet (not a branded one but a really intricate one) which was like a mat of diamond and gold, and to get an extension piece that would work for it wouldn’t be cost effective because the labor cost would’ve been higher than she was willing to spend. So she got a clasp piece that was like a green CS (don’t remember which one it was) set in a halo that looked like that mat, and then she would wear it with her clasp up, so it looked like a deliberate design.

Ahh, another great idea! Sorry to threadjack OP but AllAboard, this is so good! Initially I'd planned to just hold onto the bracelet and keep it in the family even if I can't wear it, but now I'm thinking that this will just add to the story behind the piece, so to speak. I LOVE the CS idea. I know nothing about colored stones but I can learn. Thank you again!

Mayacamus

Rough_Rock
That is an amazingly brilliant idea!!! Thank you so much! I can imagine it, and I think it would be a brilliant compliment to the bracelet itself.
Bravo!:kiss2:

Any suggestions for a master jeweler who may be interested? There aren't any in the city I live (midwestern)

With gratitude,
Maya

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you are buying it to wear and love forever why not change it as needed?
However, the issue here is that you a buying a “name” piece and in a “design” and there is likely to be a hefty price premium attached to those factors.
It’s like buying an 18ct gold bangle in the replica style of a Cartier love bangle - resale value is essentially gold melt weight vs a premium price above and beyond gold weight for the one with the Cartier logo.
If the purchase price isn’t significantly above the bracelets intrinsic value (gold, gems and workmanship) or you aren’t concerned to lose money if you choose to resell, the decision is yours to make as you wish

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Please do not start virtually identical threads in different sections of the forum:

It makes it hard for you to keep track of replies and it makes it hard for others to find things using the Search function in the future.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results