shape
carat
color
clarity

Legacy Inspired Setting - White Gold or Platinum?

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi,

I'm in the process of getting a Legacy inspired setting for my yellow cushion. I've already decided on a milgrained yellow bezel around the cushion to enhance it's "lemony-ness". Since I'm not a fan of yellow gold jewelry, I wanted the balance of the ring to be in a white-ish colored metal. Yesterday, I made up my mind to go with 18K palladium white gold. However, I'm starting to have second thoughts now. In the past, when there was a greater disparity between gold and platinum setting prices, I would definitely have gone with white gold. However, in this case, the difference in price between the 18K white gold and platinum settings is around +/- 10%. I am not sure what the platinum is alloyed with, but only know that it is 950 Platinum.

WRT my lifestyle, I'm a bit spastic, and bump into things, which is why I'm opting for a bezeled halo to protect the diamond as opposed to keeping it in a prong setting (and to account for any DSS!). I would wear the ring to work on week days - office job with papers and typing. As soon as I get home, all jewelry comes off. On the weekends, I'd possibly wear the ring when going out. At home, I never like anything on my hands when I'm taking care of domestic chores.

Also, maintenance of white gold would require re-rhodiuming, while platinum would require polishing and possibly reshaping into a circle, right? Which ends up being more cost efficient in the long run?

What do you think would look best for this style of ring, while taking into consideration my lifestyle and the maintenance that would be required for the ring?

Thanks in advance!

Tiffany-Legacy-Diamond-Ring.jpg

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'd do it in platinum as long as it was 95plat/5ruthenium. If not, you could consider Stuller X1 14k white gold that does not need rhodium plating, supposedly.

centralsquare

Ideal_Rock
I agree with platinum...while it does nick a bit there seem to be less complaints overall. Especially with an e-ring...you want to make sure it's durable!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
What DS said. I agree. I would do platinum too.

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks for the replies! :bigsmile:

The vendor got back to me and he also recommends platinum. I have a choice of platinum 950 alloy with Iridium or Ruthenium. Any pros and cons for either type of PT alloy?

Thanks in advance!
-PintoBean :wavey:

LGK

Ideal_Rock
For 950 PT I'd go with ruthenium for sure. I like the iridium alloy when it's 900 PT/10 IR, but not at the higher 950 PT content, it's too soft & scratchable. RU is better for 950 IMO. Harder, less scratchable.

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
I vote platnium for the ring. Just keep in mind that it will get a patina over time.

TristanC

Brilliant_Rock
diamondseeker2006|1312074539|2980824 said:
I'd do it in platinum as long as it was 95plat/5ruthenium. If not, you could consider Stuller X1 14k white gold that does not need rhodium plating, supposedly.

Exactly this. It is the exact composition of Tiffany Platinum, so you can look at anyone's tiffany plat ring/jewelry and see if you like the colour tone. Will give you an idea what to expect.

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
1) Is it safe to assume that most of the patina will develop probably around the band, the bottom in particular?

2) How likely will patina develop by the melee and the milgrain?

3) If they have to polish the halo, I'm assuming that would rub out the milgrain and it would have to get re-milgrained, right?

I do feel silly fretting, but it's probably because I lack actual experience with Platinum, and it's my/our (plus FI)'s hard earned money on a luxury (upgraded/forever setting). He is only agreeing to the new setting b/c his priority is my happiness, but he doesn't understand what was wrong with the last setting and the rush to upgrade now - we were planning on waiting a few years, but once prices starting skyrocketing rapidly, I made the executive decision to pull the trigger now.

Here's the FY cushion in its old setting:

yellow cushion.jpg

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I took everyone's advice and have taken the PT950/Ru plunge! Thank you to everyone who chimed in!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results