shape
carat
color
clarity

Least Obvious place for misplaced rings...

Mayk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My best friend lost her engagement and wedding ring...at home. She is in the middle of defending her dissertation (PhD all but dissertation). She's been running on about three hours of sleep for for too many months. She is also a full time professor...so overdrive is an understatement. She has a habit of taking her rings off at home and putting them in a dish... In her bedroom. Well when she went to the dish they were not there... Flash forward a couple weeks ... She has turned the house upside down including dismantling her office only to find a pair of earrings. Checked pockets, drains, shelves and yes...even dog poo. :-o ... Black Lab... You never know.

My question....

Where hasn't she looked? Did you misplace your rings at home somewhere... We didn't think for her to look...

Side note.., 2nd marriage...they've been married since November where she got food poison on their honeymoon and she's been buried under paperwork since the marriage, this girl needs a break! She graduates in August... We hope! We need to find her rings! Dust PS...I need dust and ideas.

sonnyjane

Ideal_Rock
First obvious question in light of another recent thread.... nobody else has been in the house, right?

Mayk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
sonnyjane|1371002380|3463858 said:
First obvious question in light of another recent thread.... nobody else has been in the house, right?

Thank you! I did ask her this... No one during the time they were misplaced....

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Tell her to check by Kitchen sink.. She could take them off while unloading groceries??

My other thing, is to look by the bed with a flashlight...

I haven't lost rings but upon reading after years this is always the best advice...

I am sorry she is stressed with all she has going on...

If need be go over and help her search if you are near by??

vc10um

Ideal_Rock
I find things tend to snug up next to heavy furniture where it makes indents in the carpeting. Have her rubberband a sock or pair of nylons over the end of a vaccum hose and then turn it on and run it all around the base of her nightstands/dresser/bed feet or frame/where the carpet meets the baseboard (this is assuming they have carpeting, of course). Every lost earring back I've managed to find has been found that way, I can only imagine it would be effective for rings!

I know it's also been a few weeks, but has she checked all of the pockets in her pants, jackets, blazers, etc? I know I'll slip something into a jacket pocket, not wear it for a few days/weeks, and then be surprised to find it the next time I wear it.

Good luck to her, both with her rings and her defense!

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I once found my husband's wedding band in the shower, on top of the dividing wall, in a hotel. It's a good thing I'm basically the equivalent of Johnny Mud-Gazer, or that would have been a very sad anniversary trip.

Places I have found jewelry belonging to me or loved ones:
- aformentioned shower divider
- soapdish (bathroom and kitchen)
- inside of medicine cabinet, randomly hanging out on a shelf
- in the kitchen, on top of the fridge and microwave, and in random small dishes on the counter
- on my desk, shoved into the pigeonholes of my desk
- on my workbench, shoved into the holder for my benchpin, on my soldering plate, and in the little dish I use for loose stones
- on bookcase shelves. Any of them.

I will also say, I spent YEARS fuming about somebody having stolen stones from my workbench during a party. Only thing I ever had disappear in five raucous years of grad school. Three moves later, I finally found them stashed in my box of bead-setting tools. I have NO IDEA how they got there. It gives me hope that someday I might discover the ruby necklace that disappeared TWO moves ago ....

P.S. - I wish your friend a lot of luck in finding her rings. Having been where she is, I know she doesn't need any additional stress!!!

ETA: Vc's post above me reminded me ... I once spent two months mourning a favorite necklace, only to find it looped around the button of the shirt I'd worn the day it disappeared, swinging cavalierly back and forth from a random button halfway down the breasts. The inconstancy of objects cannot be underestimated!

nomissjane

Shiny_Rock
Washing machine or dryer. I've slipped things into pockets and then forgotten about them at wash time. I did this with a bracelet and found it ages later still in the bottom of the machine. Good luck

ooo~Shiney!

Brilliant_Rock
pantry shelf (took off rings to rummage around the canned goods)
laundry room shelf (took off rings to rummage around dryer sheets, detergent, stain stick, etc)
the handbag you changed out a few days ago
often they just somehow "blend" into the usual "stuff" on your computer desk or nightstand.
Sinks, of course.
I love the sock over the vacuum cleaner hose idea.... genius!!!!

Any time I lost a contact lens, wait till the house is a bit dark, turn on the flashlight
and scan EVERYWHERE..... it lights up !!!

The one good thing is, if she's sure she lost it in the house, then it's THERE.... somewhere....

Good luck to her, I know the feeling of "I've lost my mind!" :errrr:

Mayk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you for all the awesome ideas... I sent her the link...

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
In the trash. I recently threw away my engagement ring away, quite by accident I assure you. We spent hours looking everywhere including in the vacuum cleaner dust, litter box, you name it, we looked. It was in the trash can in the kitchen.

artdecogirl

Brilliant_Rock
I put lotion on before I go to sleep at night as many of us do and once when I was beyond exhausted (as she is at this point) I took off my rings and lay them in the bedding thinking I would put them right back on, I did not of course and did not notice they were gone for a few days then we searched everywhere and they were not found, I found them about a month later when I was able to catch up on housework and pulled out my bed and nightstand, they were under the nightstand nestled together (very wierd) in a very large dust bunny. :oops:

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
Rhea said:
In the trash. I recently threw away my engagement ring away, quite by accident I assure you. We spent hours looking everywhere including in the vacuum cleaner dust, litter box, you name it, we looked. It was in the trash can in the kitchen.

If it hasn't been collected, excellent idea. Icky, but go through the sacks & check into any packages or bags in there. I threw away a wonderful pair of pearl earrings I bought in Japan when they got tangled up with a piece of kleenex on my dresser. Unfortunately didn't realize it until the garbage man had come & gone.

SB621

Ideal_Rock
Does she have excerise equipment? I'm famous for removing my rings at the gym and putting them in the water bottle holder. I can't tell you how many nice people have chased me down to return them (but then again I also lost one that way :blackeye: ).

Other then that i would check the bathroom and kitchen sinks....

I'm sorry for your friend. I"m hoping they were at least insured?

ericad

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Freezer. I once had a loose fitting ring that I lost, and eventually found it inside a bag of frozen peas in the freezer! I have no idea how it got there (though I confess that I tend to scoop frozen peas out of the bag and onto the plate with my hand, because my DD is a pea-eating machine, so it probably just slipped off my finger during one of our hurried microwave dinner nights!)

maccers

Brilliant_Rock
I thritto the use of a flashlight...It's helped me find jewelry in places that I had already checked twice before.

Once I put my ring on my bedside table (normally I put it in its box) and in the morning it wasn't there. I had managed to hit it either with the duvet or my hand/arm and it flipped waaaaay under the bed, tucked up against the wall. Massive panic until I found it.

Another time, in a hotel, I put my ring into my pearl earrings box, which went into my toiletries case which went into my suitcase...when we were packing up in the morning and I couldn't find, again, we had to tear that room apart. Checking my earrings box was the least obvious place for me (though at the time, I thought I would of course remember that I had put it there).

I'm sure it will turn up for her! Fingers crossed.

iluvshinythings

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I think immobile objects becoming mobile is one of the most perplexing problems in life. I tend to be scatter brained when I'm tired or have a lot of things on my mind. It sounds like she's having the same problem. I bet she'll find them.

Has she checked her car? I stick my rings in the cup holder while I put lotion on my hands. That's always the first place I look when they are missing. Also, between and under the seats?

By the bathtub or shower? I once lost a necklace for a few months. It turned up in the basket used for washcloths by the bathtub. Almost everything that falls to the floor in my bathroom ends up in the corner between the vanity and the floor.

Drawers? Boxes? I've had rings fall off while digging though a box and I assume the same thing could happen with a drawer.

Does she have a nerdy friend with a metal detector? She could check the house with it.

Living room/media room? Entertainment center? book shelves? desk? between the couch cushions?

Nighstand? I've left my jewelry there many times. Also, check the sheets and bedding carefully. Anything left by the bed tends to migrate to the bed - in or under?

Kitchen? Sink? Does she wear gloves? I've had a ring slide off into a glove before and I probably wouldn't think to look in the gloves I use for cleaning. Trash? (earlier this week I was in the bathroom thinking about emptying the trash but instead took my towel to the kitchen and threw it in the trash bin) Drawers? Window sill? Microwave? Refrigerator?

Pockets? Also a popular place for me to stash jewelry and forget.

Purse, wallet and luggage? I packed a pair of earrings in a bag coming back from a trip and I still can't find them. I guess security might have liberated them but I honestly think they are hiding in a pocket somewhere.

Does she have pets? Wagging tails and curious kitties knock things around.

I've found an earring laying on the ground by my car and I found someone else's ring in the parking garage once.

Closet? Inside a shoe? Inside a sleeve?

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My places are any where close to kitchen sink or dishwasher if I'm putting away clean dishes; medicine cabinet, shelf or edge of sink in bathroom; bedside table; back yard table if I'm outside and suddenly get a hankering to garden; car - in the cupholders if I'm out driving and suddenly don't like the way my rings feel. On rare occasions, in my purse.

Yeesh, I hope she finds them. :errrr:

Mayk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you so much PS community. She is checking the thread and looking in more places. No rings yet.. ;(

mogster

Shiny_Rock
If any of the diamonds fluoresce, maybe she can search with a UV flashlight around the house when it's dark.

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Tell her to stick her hands down into the sides of the couch, and to take her bed apart in case they are hung up on the railing of her bed. Especially if she ever takes off her rings while in bed. This girl sounds tired!

iLander

Ideal_Rock
Sometimes things fall down and get kicked when people walk by.

But most times, it was in the place it should be, but overlooked.

My DD was looking for a necklace the other day, and said she checked all her purses and didn't find it. Of course, I found it in a purse (she only thought she had looked through them all, worry is very distracting) right where she said it was.

davi_el_mejor

Brilliant_Rock
I lost my ring under the flap of the computer... it covers where the USB/flash cards go. We never close it so I never thought to look under it. Boom there it was.

I hope she finds it. I have a pretty stress free life and I was stressed when I couldn't find it

GreenBling

Brilliant_Rock
I keep the blings i often wear in one big leather box. Just minutes ago i opened the box to check out the FLY only to find that ALL rings were gone. Turned out i took them out for an orange degreaser bath. Has she looked at where she keeps her cleaning tools?

Kelinas

Shiny_Rock
if she had time to cook in that pre-lost chaos, tell her to check the freezer. Twice, I've found rings in my freezer.
once, i was wearing a looser ring and it slipped of my finger into the side crevice (of the shelf)

second time, i was chopping vegetables for dinner the next night (one pot wonders!) and ended up finding my ring inside of it mmoments before I started cooking it.

now I never wear my things in the kitchen.

Mayk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
GreenBling|1371133515|3464961 said:
I keep the blings i often wear in one big leather box. Just minutes ago i opened the box to check out the FLY only to find that ALL rings were gone. Turned out i took them out for an orange degreaser bath. Has she looked at where she keeps her cleaning tools?

This was such a good idea.... But no :nono: she checked there three times! ;( I actually gave her a cleaner as her engagement present.... I was like oooooh great idea... I guess not!

Rae~

Shiny_Rock
The only other place I can add is: does she garden, or at least water plants? I hate normally-sized rings so mine are quite loose, and once my hands become wet, my rings are very slip-offery (TM). Maybe she put them somewhere when doing a watery sort of task??

NB: Laundry or kitchen could also work in this instance, but they've been mentioned before, so hopefully this *might* trigger another memory?

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My practical side (the non getting vibes from the Universe side) says look under the bed, since she puts them next to the bed this seems like a feasible place to look... The vibes from the Universe side says "check the desk" or something like a table she uses as a desk where bills and mail and paperwork is kept. Could there be draws in the desk she hasn't looked in or envelopes or items like that on the desk it could have gone into by accident?

ckrickett

Ideal_Rock
Do her rings fit loose?They may hav come off in a weird time if so. I had a friend loose her rings because they slung off her hand when she was putting away groceries. Found them behind a shelf/cabinet in the kitchen 2 months later.

dtnyc

Brilliant_Rock
I misplaced my e-ring for about a month and it was in a pocket in my handbag- an external pocket held closed by a magnetic snap. I tore my house apart looking for it...

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Has she checked under bookcases? Whenever we move ours, we find a lot of items have accumulated from rolling or being bumped under.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results