shape
carat
color
clarity

Learning to run

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock

As part of my healthy life overhaul, I just started running more seriously recently! My husband and I are working up from not running at all and have a goal of running 4-5 days a week 5km per day, and we would like to run 10km charity races as a hobby.

We started training on and off in January and recently we have increased our distance and intensity to the point where we are running 5km every second day (3-4 days a week).

I have a question for you all -- when does it get easier?
3.gif
We just upped our distance this week to 5km and I want to stop and die the whole time
4.gif
What is this endorphin rush people talk about? I feel great when it is over and I am really proud of our accomplishment, especially since we are both overweight which of course makes it harder to run, but when it is actually going on it is horrid!

brazen_irish_hussy

Ideal_Rock
I don''t know when it gets easier since instead of adding distance, I always push myself to go faster instead. What I will tell you is that I only get runner''s high, and I do, when I push myself and not while I am running, after. I also find it easier when I am doing intervals.
As for when it is fun at the time, I have yet to find it per say. I usually just do something to distract myself, like listening to music or watching TV while on an eliptical for example. I enjoy the act itself at lower intensities, when I am not hurting, just feeling the burn a little.

I have also found that the surfaces you are on and your shoes make a HUGE difference. Running on regular asphalt hurts my knees and gives me shin splints. Running on tracks or an eliptical helps. I have worn running shoes and all purpose shoes in the past, but for me, dance sneakers are the best because I have very bouncy movements. Finding the right shoes can make it a lot more fun.

BeachRunner

Brilliant_Rock
I love all the runners coming out of their shells! Hello fellow runner!
35.gif

Does running get easier? Yes and no.
Yes because your body will adapt to that particular aerobic exercise. Yes because hopefully you will start to enjoy running and look forward to your runs.

No, because you will always be trying to get faster, run farther, etc. That takes work, and it is not easy.

Kudos for you for "wanting to die", but not stopping! That''s so great.
Re: runners high. To each their own, right? Honestly, I don''t think I''ve ever felt a real high. I''ve had really great runs, and during my run, I feel great. So, I guess that could be considered a runners high.

Are you doing any strength training? Weight training really helps strengthen the muscles (duh), which in turn decreases leg pain, knee pain, joint pain, etc, and will make you a stronger runner. Working the ab/adductor muscles are very important. Allow yourself to rest and restore, which it sounds like you are doing.

And, my spiel on shoes. B_I_H is so very true. Make sure you have a comfortable and durable pair of running shoes. That''s the most important piece to running. Experts recommend changing out your shoes every 400-500 miles.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
It''s different for every person Dreamer, but I didn''t get runners high until about mile 6 or 7. The first 3 or so miles (so that''s 5K) are always a bit of a drag. Then you get in a zone and just move until you hit the wall, usually around mile 10. At least, that''s how it was for me. Walls hit miles 10, 14, and 18. And after mile 20, it''s grueling for most of the way.

But boy did I love miles 6-8.............

BeachRunner

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 6/24/2010 11:41:22 PM
Author: TravelingGal
It's different for every person Dreamer, but I didn't get runners high until about mile 6 or 7. The first 3 or so miles (so that's 5K) are always a bit of a drag. Then you get in a zone and just move until you hit the wall, usually around mile 10. At least, that's how it was for me. Walls hit miles 10, 14, and 18. And after mile 20, it's grueling for most of the way.

But boy did I love miles 6-8.............

I agree w/ this. I only ever got a "runners high" or really awesome run feeling after mile 6. And TGal said it great with "getting in a zone". Very true for me as well.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think I need new shoes for sure, mine are resally not cutting it.

I don''t have any pain when I run, so that is a plus! If there is no pain, then I wonder what is making me want to stop? I think it is just feeling tired and my natural inclination to preserve energy
4.gif
I am a very "efficient" person. And dragging an extra 40lbs makes it all that much harder. But I feel so much better than when we started and I could not really run at all for any length of time. We are not fast -- 30 minutes for 5km in *very* hilly terrain, I call our route "murder hills route"
5.gif
-- but I think we are getting better! And we feel so good about getting out there and doing it together as a family.

DH is a better runner than I am, he keeps me going. He pushes our son in the BOB and the dog tied to the stroller, and I just worry about putting one foot in front of the other
2.gif
Plus we run with out 10lb wiener dog and if he can keep up then it would probably be pretty shameful for me to stop
3.gif

BeachRunner What is BIH? We don''t do weight training. To be honest it is hard enough to fit in the running at this point.

TGal I did not know you run, do you still do it regularly?

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Dreamer, I was never a runner. At best, I was a trotter. But I got it in my head one day that I wanted to run a marathon, so I did. LA marathon is 2004. Then in 2006 my cousin was devastated over a breakup with her fiance and I told her if she was going to being hurting that much emotionally, she might as well add some physical punishment to the list. So I ran the marathon with her in 2006, figuring it would take her mind off him and give her focus.

So on and off for a few years, I ran, but after 2006, my knees were shot and I decided I generally hate running really long distances. I can barely run 2 miles now. It''s amazing how quickly you lose the stamina when you quit training.

As for runners high, I never really felt pain per se until I got into the double digit miles. And it wasn''t pain as much as an overwhelming need to just stop running. When you get that high, not only do you feel no pain, but you don''t feel tired. You feel like a machine and that you could run forever. Breathing is stable, you can barely feel yourself running - you''re simply moving. It''s kind of wild.

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/25/2010 12:58:30 AM
Author: dreamer_d
BeachRunner What is BIH? We don''t do weight training. To be honest it is hard enough to fit in the running at this point.
I think BeachRunner was referring to BrazenIrishHussy when she wrote BIH.

I just wanted to say GOOD LUCK with your running!

I went from being a reluctant runner in high school (I only ran during practice when forced to by a scary coach with a whistle in her mouth, and I hated every minute of it) to starting a running club for people who can''t run in college and LOVING it. For me, that runner''s high didn''t kick in until after about four miles. My experience was similar to TGal''s--I stopped feeling myself running, stopped feeling every breath go in and out, and just felt like I was gliding along without any effort. That lasted for a while for me, usually until mile ten-ish, at which point every sensation hurled back into my body and I just wanted to stop. Immediately.

I''ve since learned enough about the body and biomechanics to realize that my body is just not designed for running long distances. I could probably push myself through a marathon, but it wouldn''t feel good.

It took me a long time to build up to running those ten miles, so take it slow and listen to your body--if you start to feel pain, stop running. The worst thing you can do is injure yourself and then take yourself OUT of running for a period of healing time.

Good luck! Enjoy the runs! I love that you two take your son and your dog on your runs with you. I have the cutest little mental image of your family running down the street.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/25/2010 10:54:52 AM
Author: Haven

I think BeachRunner was referring to BrazenIrishHussy when she wrote BIH.

Oooohhhh!
Date: 6/25/2010 10:54:52 AM

Good luck! Enjoy the runs! I love that you two take your son and your dog on your runs with you. I have the cutest little mental image of your family running down the street.

I think we make quite a sight! I am not sure we look particularly impressive, but we do get a lot of looks that is for sure!

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
dreamer--I don''t normally tell my husband about things I read on PS, but he just called me to see if I want to go on a bike ride with him when he gets home this afternoon, and I told him about your family runs. He said "I want us to be like that when we have kids!"

I think it''s super cute. If I saw you, and I had children, it would motivate me to get out and do something active with my kids. And the pup!

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/25/2010 1:11:15 PM
dreamer--I don''t normally tell my husband about things I read on PS, but he just called me to see if I want to go on a bike ride with him when he gets home this afternoon, and I told him about your family runs. He said ''I want us to be like that when we have kids!''

I think it''s super cute. If I saw you, and I had children, it would motivate me to get out and do something active with my kids. And the pup!
Aw, so sweet! Buying a BOB was the best things we did. When you have kids it is hard to get excercise in, and DH and I like to do it together and hate gyms, so there was no choice but to bring the kid along! He seems to like it, just chills in the stroller and watches the scenery.

They make great chariot type things for pulling kids behind bikes too! We plan to get bikes next spring and we will be pulling Hunter along in that too!

EricaR

Ideal_Rock
As a few people mentioned, shoes are KEY! Get yourself to a good running store. They''ll analyze your stride and your stance and make recommendations on the best type of shoes. I never realized how much of a difference the right shoes (and insoles!) would make, but now I can''t imagine wearing anything else.

If you are wanting to train towards running a 10k I highly recomment Hal Higdon''s 10k training plan for novices. I think he recommends 3 days a week of running, 2 days of cross training, 2 days of weights/stretching and a day of rest. Obviously, some of those days overlap. His plans takes you nice and easily from running 2 - 3 miles per run to 6 miles.

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/25/2010 1:54:44 PM
Date: 6/25/2010 1:11:15 PM
dreamer--I don''t normally tell my husband about things I read on PS, but he just called me to see if I want to go on a bike ride with him when he gets home this afternoon, and I told him about your family runs. He said ''I want us to be like that when we have kids!''

Aw, so sweet! Buying a BOB was the best things we did. When you have kids it is hard to get excercise in, and DH and I like to do it together and hate gyms, so there was no choice but to bring the kid along! He seems to like it, just chills in the stroller and watches the scenery.

They make great chariot type things for pulling kids behind bikes too! We plan to get bikes next spring and we will be pulling Hunter along in that too!
I''m not a big fan of the gym, either. I go because sometimes our Chicago weather is just so awful there''s no way I''ll go outside, but I much prefer activities like running, biking, and roller skating because I can do them out in the fresh air.

Bike riding is an amazing way to drop extra weight, too. We just got back from a quick 10 mile ride and I feel that awesome post-workout high from being tired but not too tired, if that makes sense.

Whenever I start riding again the pounds literally melt off. It could just be my body, but I have a girlfriend who says the same thing. I used to take a spinning class at the gym once a week and that did amazing things for my figure, too.

You guys will LOVE riding, it''s so much fun. I bet it will be even more fun with a kiddo--you can pack picnics and ride to different fun destinations.

One of my favorite summer activities is to ride into the "downtown" area of our town and get ice cream cones. I never feel guilty about that ice cream because we worked to get it!

slg47

Ideal_Rock
Dreamer, good job starting the running! I did the couch to 5k program and it really helped get up to 5k! I think running is just easier for some people, my BF claims to not be a good runner, but he has done 1/2 marathons before. For me, the highest I got up to was around 5 miles, and then sort of fell off running.

Anyway the main things I found that helped were being consistent (going 3-4x per week) and going slow. For the long runs, a partner helps too!

Make sure you start SLOW. My problem is that I start too fast (not actually fast, mind you, but not super slow) and then you lose the endurance.

But yeah, I always feel great when it''s over, but during...some days you feel strong, some days you just want it to be over...I think it depends on the day/person/etc.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Well I felt a lot better on our 5km run today! I ate a piece of toast w peanut butter and drank water half an hour before we ran, and then we remembered to bring a bottle of water with us. It was still murder hill course, but I felt a lot better than Thursday and I think we made good time!

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
How''s the running going, Dreamer? I was thinking about you this morning because I''ve been trying to get motivated to start doing some cardio, and I''m using you as my inspiration.

I hope your runs are going well!

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Wow Haven! I am glad you find us inspiring. I guess if two parents can drag their big butts out the door with the kiddo and pup, then you have no excuse
3.gif

The running is going well in the sense that we are still doing it every 2 days! We ran 18km last week and are on track to run 20km this week. I have never run this much in my life!

It is still hell when I am running. Yesterday was very bad and we bickered a lot and I wanted to die, but we did the whole thing! Better than nothing I suppose! haha

Anyone know why one day I can feel so good and the next so crappy? If I knew the secret recipe for feeling energetic on my runs, it would really help a lot!!

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/29/2010 6:30:53 PM
Wow Haven! I am glad you find us inspiring. I guess if two parents can drag their big butts out the door with the kiddo and pup, then you have no excuse
3.gif

The running is going well in the sense that we are still doing it every 2 days! We ran 18km last week and are on track to run 20km this week. I have never run this much in my life!

It is still hell when I am running. Yesterday was very bad and we bickered a lot and I wanted to die, but we did the whole thing! Better than nothing I suppose! haha

Anyone know why one day I can feel so good and the next so crappy? If I knew the secret recipe for feeling energetic on my runs, it would really help a lot!!
I''m really impressed that you''re running those distances already. It took me a long time to be able to actually run for an entire mile, and that was back when I was an athlete participating in multiple sports. (I wonder how long it will take me to get up there this time around.)

And yes, it sounds silly but I AM inspired by that vision of you two running with a baby and a pup! I don''t have children, so I SHOULD be able to get my butt into some running pants and out the door. And, add to the scenario that I''m a teacher so I''m currently only teaching six hours a week. I AM SO LAZY!

However, you''ve inspired me. I plan on going on my first run this Monday. I know that''s a bit away, but for whatever reason I like to start new things at the start of the week.

I don''t mean to make this thread about me, sorry! I''m really impressed that you''re running so much and regularly, and I can''t wait to get out there and try to do it, too.

BeachRunner

Brilliant_Rock
Maybe we need a running thread, as there have been so many PSers asking about running these days.

And yes dreamer, it''s really awesome that you and your DH can run 5k including hills
14.gif
, esp with your entire family. It is adorable!

gailrmv

Ideal_Rock
hi Dreamer!!

As a lifelong runner, I have a couple thoughts. I think you feel bad on some days because you may be overdoing it. Do you notice that you feel worse if you run 2 days in a row? Some runners keep a journal or a spreadsheet of time, distance, what they ate and drank before, the route, how they felt during and after, etc to notice patterns of what is working and not working. Sounds like kind of a pain, but might be interesting (I know you are a researcher).

You are off to a GREAT start. You may be overdoing it, though! You said you are doing 5K in 30 min on hilly terrain. Are you sure you've got your time and distance correct? If so, you are running really fast for a beginner, especially on hills! I would recommend slowing down to a comfortable pace to where you DON'T feel like you want to die. I would also take regular, scheduled walk breaks (i.e. run 3 min walk 30 seconds, or run 5 min walk 1 min) or any combination of running and walking that works for you, to give both your heart and your leg muscles a little break. Even some very experienced runners do long runs this way. If you don't feel you've gotten enough workout due to the walk breaks, keep going longer.

I make it a point not to run back to back days if I can avoid it. This is to prevent overuse injuries. Recovery time is important. I would run no more than 3-4 times a week. On the off days, do another exercise, for example, walking, weight training or calisthenics at home, yoga, a workout video, or bicycle (you can pull Hunter in a bike trailer).

I highly recommend looking at Jeff Galloway or Hal Higdon's books or websites, which have great tips on getting started.

You do not want to overdo it and end up with an injury. A burnout situation (mental or physical) would really set you back from all the progress you've made. I would definitely slow down. As some runners say (I think Jeff Galloway), "go slow to go fast." As you become more experienced, you'll see what your body can handle and adjust accordingly. You don't want to ignore feelings of exhaustion that linger for days, foot pain, knee pain (this is my problem), or hip pain.

Proper shoes are so important! As others have recommended, go to a running shoe store and have someone experienced fit you. Many people need stability control for pronation, but you don't want these kind of shoes if you do not pronate.

Other tips... make sure to hydrate before, during and after your run. Plain water is the best. Start off slow to warm up and then cool down + stretch at the end. Workout early or late in the day, not in the heat.

Entering a 5K race or eventually a 10K race is a great idea! I've done so many races and 10K is really my favorite distance. Races are so motivating and so fun, too. Plus, you usually get a t-shirt :)

Oh, and as for the runners high? I get it on my long runs over 5 miles. I always do these runs SLOW. The first few miles usually kind of suck for me too. I also get sort of a mental runners high when I'm having an extra speedy or energetic day or beat a personal goal.

Hope some of the helped a little! Running is a fantastic lifestyle. I hope you will love it as much as I do!

Oh, and ETA: I've been running consistently for over 15 years now and sometimes I STILL feel like I want to die on certain hills. You might experiment running a flatter course - even if this means driving somewhere else or repeating the same street a bunch of times - to see if you feel better.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
TDM Thank you for the advice! I would like to give some more detail and see if you still think we are over doing it. I am very loath to scale back to walking after the progress we have made.

We used map quest for our distance, it is 5km and I would say the first half is at a steady incline with two much hillier areas, and the second half is down incline. Hilly but not "hills" if you KWIM? We have not timed ourselves explicitly, but I think our time is closer to 35 minutes maybe longer. We will get a timer to see how we are going. We actually started training in January with intervals, like you describe, and ran an approx 2km course. Gradually we increased the running ratio to where we could run that whole distance, then about 3 weeks ago we increased to 5km distance. We go every second day. My heart rate is fine when I run and we carry on a conversation, except for the two steeper areas which are about 200m and 300m where we focus on our running. I don''t have pain per se, and am not sore after the run -- just "aware" of my legs. I feel fine on the second day, the day we do not run.

The "I want to die" part is mental... mentally I want to stop so badly it is torture, and that is the part I am having a hard time wrapping my head around.

Anyways, do you still think it sounds like we are over doing it? I did a formal running training program about 10 years ago when I trained for a 10k, and we followed that plan when we first started (basically) of gradually increasing the running. Mu husband was a 15-20km runner last fall. Like I said I am loath to cut back when I feel like we are doing so well now.

I think that hydration is a BIG part of things no matter what, I am going to work on that for sure.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/30/2010 9:26:17 PM
Author: TanDogMom
Oh, and ETA: I''ve been running consistently for over 15 years now and sometimes I STILL feel like I want to die on certain hills. You might experiment running a flatter course - even if this means driving somewhere else or repeating the same street a bunch of times - to see if you feel better.
We tried this! I found it worse! Somehow it was not challenging enough so my mind had too much time to convince me to stop
11.gif

gailrmv

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/30/2010 10:17:39 PM
TDM Thank you for the advice! I would like to give some more detail and see if you still think we are over doing it. I am very loath to scale back to walking after the progress we have made.

We used map quest for our distance, it is 5km and I would say the first half is at a steady incline with two much hillier areas, and the second half is down incline. Hilly but not ''hills'' if you KWIM? We have not timed ourselves explicitly, but I think our time is closer to 35 minutes maybe longer. We will get a timer to see how we are going. We actually started training in January with intervals, like you describe, and ran an approx 2km course. Gradually we increased the running ratio to where we could run that whole distance, then about 3 weeks ago we increased to 5km distance. We go every second day. My heart rate is fine when I run and we carry on a conversation, except for the two steeper areas which are about 200m and 300m where we focus on our running. I don''t have pain per se, and am not sore after the run -- just ''aware'' of my legs. I feel fine on the second day, the day we do not run.

The ''I want to die'' part is mental... mentally I want to stop so badly it is torture, and that is the part I am having a hard time wrapping my head around.

Anyways, do you still think it sounds like we are over doing it? I did a formal running training program about 10 years ago when I trained for a 10k, and we followed that plan when we first started (basically) of gradually increasing the running. Mu husband was a 15-20km runner last fall. Like I said I am loath to cut back when I feel like we are doing so well now.

I think that hydration is a BIG part of things no matter what, I am going to work on that for sure.

Hi DD! No, I don''t necessarily think you are overdoing it based on the additional info! I''d time yourself though. I''m sorry, I think in miles - for me, 10 min miles is a do-able but brisk pace. 11 or 12 min miles is a leisurely, comfy pace. As a beginner or to ramp up your distance, I''d definitely keep it slower than 10 min per mile. If you are doing 5K in 30 min, you''re doing faster than that. If you''re closer to 35 min, I''d say that''s a better pace.

I missed that you are running every OTHER day. I think that is perfect. Also, it''s great that you''ve been ramping up since January. I missed that part too.

Just a few more thoughts -

It sounds like your DH is in better shape than you. Don''t let him accidentally push the pace or distance faster than is comfy for you. This happens to me sometimes when I run with faster people. It''s a good challenge, but sometimes it just leaves me feeling winded and exhausted. I know I can push the pace when I run with slower people. This is why I usually run alone (just me and the little guy in his stroller). It''s really hard to find someone to go exactly your pace. I wish my DH ran with me, though. That sounds like so much fun. Running with someone faster is good for a challenge, but you just don''t want to push too much, too soon.

If the want to die is mental rather than physical, I bet it will get better - really! I have one hill -killer hill I call it - that takes me 2 min to go up and is steep. By the end I seriously feel like I need to call an ambulance. But I recover quickly :)

I think you are right on about the hydration. It makes SUCH a difference for me! I have to carry water with me when I run.

princesss

Ideal_Rock
Not sure if this has been covered, but this makes a huge difference for me: use your arm movements to pace yourself. Want to speed up? Move your arms faster. Your legs will follow suit. Same with slowing down and maintaining a steady pace - use your arms. I find my stride much more quickly when I focus on how fast to move my arms. It seems silly, but it helps me SO much.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thank you all so much for the support and tips!

I discovered that our usual route is actually 4km, which was disappointing to learn but it also explained why it was so hard the day we tried a different route -- which was actually 5km! haha

We are still running every second day and I can honestly say it is getting easier :appl: It is very hot here right now but not so bad in the mornings. Our pace has gotten a little faster and with the heat, we will have to start leaving our little wiener dog at home. He just seems to be trying too hard to keep up and it is bothering DH when he drags a little -- DH is the one who manages the BOB and the dog so he has the harder job than I! All I need to do is keep up with him.

RaiKai

Brilliant_Rock
Hey dreamer!

I just wanted to welcome you to the world of running! I am a pretty avid runner (6 miles/day usually). As with anything it just takes time!

I am recently making the transition to barefoot running or minimalist shoe running and am enjoying it even more. So it feels a bit like I am starting all over. It also helps you develop your stabilizing and leg muscles more, and teaches you to the right stride (most who wear regular shoes do a heel strike or strike harder, relying on the cushion, which is worse for you). It is not for everyone, and takes some time for those who are used to shoes, but it is incredibly fun!

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hey Rai Kai I replied in the new running thread I started :))

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results