shape
carat
color
clarity

Leading Diamond industry Organizations back Standard Terminology guideline

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Great article in the Diamond Loupe today about the new Diamond Terminology Guideline. Nine of the leading industry organizations have jointly released the diamond Terminology guideline in an announcement made by the Antwerp World Diamond Centre (AWDC) and CIBJO, the World Jewellery Confederation in a press release.

The full article can be seen here: Inside the article are links to both the Diamond Terminology Guideline and the AWDC webpage on synthetic diamonds.

These guideline contains standards for describing both diamonds and synthetic diamonds. The Guideline is based on ISO standards and the CIBJO Diamond Blue Book and is intended to set the universal standard for communicating about diamonds and their laboratory-grown counterparts.

While not legally binding, yet, the Diamond Terminology guideline is designed to serve as the reference document when referring to or describing diamonds, synthetic diamonds and imitations of diamonds.

Here is a quote from the Diamond Terminology Guideline.

"DEFINITIONS
  • A diamond is a mineral created by nature; a “diamond” always means a natural diamond.
  • A synthetic diamond is an artificial product that has essentially the same physical characteristics as a diamond.
  • An imitation diamond, also named a diamond simulant, is an artificial product that imitates the appearance of diamonds without having their chemical composition, physical properties or structure.
  • A gemstone is a mineral of natural origin that is used in jewellery for reasons of combined beauty, rareness and intrinsic value."
Here is a quote from the Diamond Terminology Guideline about Terminology

"TERMINOLOGY

When referring to synthetic diamonds:
  • Use one of the following authorised qualifiers when referring to synthetic diamonds: “synthetic”, “laboratory-grown” or “laboratory-created”.
  • Do not use abbreviations such as “lab-grown” and “lab-created”.
  • Do not use the following terms: “cultured diamonds” and “cultivated diamonds” as “cultured” and “cultivated” refer exclusively to organic/biogenic products.
  • Do not use the following terms: “real”, “genuine”, “precious”, “authentic” and “natural” as those apply exclusively to natural minerals and gemstones."
I suspect that bullet point number two will be the most abused as many will just use "lab-grown and lab-created instead of doing the whole word laboratory. The terms cultured diamonds and cultivated diamonds will also be greatly abused in my opinion, as there are so many who will wish to use them to dupe their clients into thinking that these are somehow better synthetics than the laboratory-grown diamonds.

The leadership of the nine organizations who created the Guideline (AWDC, CIBJO, DPA, GJEPC, IDI, IDMA, USJC, WDC and WFDB) are strongly recommending that all traders comply with these guideline on all documents and websites. I predict a long and arduous battle to bring about compliance. I believe it will be to the consumer's benefit if the Guideline is followed.

I welcome your thoughts and feelings about this, both from the consumers and from the professionals on this forum.

Wink

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
So confusing for the normal buyer.
I’d go much more simple
1. Natural diamond - diamond mined from the earth
2. Cultured diamond - diamond grown in a laboratory with a diamond seed.
3. Synthetic diamond - manufactured man made gem of any type or process where the gem visually resembles a diamond.
It’s either a diamond pulled from the earth - natural, a cultured diamond grown from a diamond seed (the same idea as what “cultured pearls are) and anything and everything else is simply synthetic.

TreeScientist

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I’d go much more simple
3. Synthetic diamond - manufactured man made gem of any type or process where the gem visually resembles a diamond.
It’s either a diamond pulled from the earth - natural, a cultured diamond grown from a diamond seed (the same idea as what “cultured pearls are) and anything and everything else is simply synthetic.

I think this would make it much easier for the average consumer to understand. Have a single term for each type of diamond.

I still don't like the term "cultured" though. It implies a biological process (the reason pearls are referred to as cultured is because they are still grown inside of an oyster). Since the creation of diamonds in a laboratory is an inorganic process, it should be referred to as synthetic (because it is a synthesis reaction).

So it should be:
1.) Natural Diamond
2.) Synthetic Diamond
3.) Diamond Simulant

But that's just coming from a scientist who get's riled up about the nuances of scientific terminology. :)

Last edited:

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I’d go much more simple

Bron,

The term cultured as related to diamonds is specifically one of the terms NOT to be used.

What you are calling cultured is a synthetic diamond, as is any laboratory-grown or laboratory-created diamond and the acceptable modifying terms are synthetic, laboratory-grown or laboratory-created.

In comment 3. above, what you are describing is not a synthetic, but rather a simulant. In order to be a synthetic, the gem must have the same physical, chemical and optical properties as a genuine diamond.

I agree that this is possibly confusing at first, but the difference between synthetic and simulant is crucial for industry professionals to know and understand. It is my belief that having professionals adhere to these very reasonable points in the Guideline as issued will be very beneficial to the buyers, whether or not they understand the fine points.

Wink

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Man made diamond is my favorite term for lab diamonds.
0 confusion and right to the point.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Man made diamond is my favorite term for lab diamonds.
0 confusion and right to the point.
That is my own personal opinion and may not be the opinion of DBL.

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I think this would make it much easier for the average consumer to understand. Have a single term for each type of diamond.

I still don't like the term "cultured" though. It implies a biological process (the reason pearls are referred to as cultured is because they are still grown inside of an oyster). Since the creation of diamonds in a laboratory is an inorganic process, it should be referred to as synthetic (because it is a synthesis reaction).

So it should be:
1.) Natural Diamond
2.) Synthetic Diamond
3.) Diamond Simulant

But that's just coming from a scientist who get's riled up about the nuances of scientific terminology. :)

Tree Scientist,

I do not believe we have met yet. Welcome to Pricescope and I hope you will have a long and enjoyable stay here.

CIBJO et al also did not like the term Cultured as related to diamonds. I loved your comment about being a scientist who gets riled up about nuances of scientific terminology. I have to admit, as a younger man, I often thought it silly to argue over small nuances of terminology. However, over the years I have seen small nuances used to defraud large sums from consumers who fell into the traps of nuances being used to create the illusion of value where value was not.

Knowing this, I am all in favor of the guideline as issued. It is concise enough for professionals, and not too difficult for consumers if they wish to read it.

What makes me sad is knowing, for sure, that many in the trade will insist on it being okay to sell things as cultured, because it sounds better than synthetic or laboratory-created.

Wink

TreeScientist

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Tree Scientist,

I do not believe we have met yet. Welcome to Pricescope and I hope you will have a long and enjoyable stay here.

CIBJO et al also did not like the term Cultured as related to diamonds. I loved your comment about being a scientist who gets riled up about nuances of scientific terminology. I have to admit, as a younger man, I often thought it silly to argue over small nuances of terminology. However, over the years I have seen small nuances used to defraud large sums from consumers who fell into the traps of nuances being used to create the illusion of value where value was not.

Knowing this, I am all in favor of the guideline as issued. It is concise enough for professionals, and not too difficult for consumers if they wish to read it.

What makes me sad is knowing, for sure, that many in the trade will insist on it being okay to sell things as cultured, because it sounds better than synthetic or laboratory-created.

Wink

Nice to meet you Wink. I've found this community very helpful in my recent E-ring search and hope to stick around to help others. The best thing about this community, in my opinion, is it helps new diamond-seekers find a fair price on an excellent quality diamond that fits within their budget, while helping them avoid getting swindled by the likes of the big chain jewelers and the sleazy, used-car-salemenesque diamond dealers at some B&M stores.

And while it may seem pedantic to argue over small nuances in terminology, I agree that it is of the upmost importance to have set guidelines in any market/industry (not just diamonds) to cut down on the swindling of naïve consumers referred to above.

But like you said, many people in the industry will continue to use the same misleading terminology, or they will come up with new misleading terminology if the original terminology is deemed illegal, because there will always be shady dealers out there trying to deceive the average consumer. I'm sure there will still be plenty out there marketing "Enhanced Diamonds!!!" like it's a desirable quality. :wall:

But the bright side is that the excellent PS community is here to help those who wish to educate themselves. :)

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Shouldn't this thread be in the Man Made Diamonds section of the forum? ;-) :razz:

(And should that section of the forum now be renamed "Synthetic Diamonds"?? lol :lol:)

John P

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Man made diamond is my favorite term for lab diamonds. 0 confusion and right to the point.
"Man made" and "Lab grown" are what I hear most often from those selling them. Those who don't tend to say "Synthetic." In emails they're shortened to MMD, LG and SYN.

Some context here: The international diamond trade spans many continents, cultures and languages. This DTG announcement isn't policing two guys chatting in a shop in Chicago. It's to enforce clear disclosure, regardless of different native languages, from origins and production to international export-import and different domestic supply chains, all the way to the end consumer.

It's also not new. ISO published this as an international standard in 2015, immediately adopted by the Wold Jewellery Federation. Our company adapted all export and consignment memoranda and invoices, top to bottom, to specify "Natural polished diamonds," in 2015 per those ISO standards.

In the interest of disclosure this cooperative guide, by nine of the most recognized international bodies, is a logical next step. And my professional colleagues in association with the US Jewelry Council (including member of AGS, NAJA, DDCNY, AGTA and others) will likely be encouraged by USJC to adopt these guidelines for all printed documents. These terms are already requirements in many centers of international diamond commerce outside USA.

In any case, there is no need to change how we chat over coffee. :sun: This is aimed to stop the bad guys from using some 'lost in translation' excuse to fool buyers when crossing borders or doing trade anywhere in the chain.

FWIW, most consumer posters here would be shocked if they knew how rife, bold and persistent the bad guys can be. Most trade members have a few insane stories, and the scope of the tales gets bigger and crazier as you go international. Some of you may recall this fake rough scam. That's nicely related to this topic, as it resulted from a lack of formal terms and non-disclosure.

John P

Ideal_Rock
Trade

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
There are people out there who deliberately obfuscate this issue. ‘Synthetic’ is a perfectly valid scientific word for manufactured materials. They are synthesized. Nylon is synthetic. Vitamins are synthetic (most of them). Tires are synthetic. No problem. Somehow that hasn’t stuck in the diamond world. CZs are synthetic, but they aren’t synthetic DIAMONDS. Meanwhile, synthetic diamonds get called nearly everything except synthetic.

Simulant is a similarly precise word. It’s something being used as a substitute that resembles something else. Moissanite might be a simulant, or it might just be a pretty bauble (a synthetic one by the way). The difference here is in how it’s presented, not anything that’s fundamental to the stone. Natural white sapphire might be a simulant as well, even though it's natural. ‘Imitation’ is a more generally understood word for this but the trade, at least the trade in simulants, hates it.

Treatment is another can of worms. ‘Enhanced’ means treated but certain treatments, like acid bleaching, don’t count. Others, like laser drilling, didn’t used to count but now do. Cutting obviously modifies the stone in a way that makes it very different from how it came out of the ground, but that’s not a treatment.

My favorite of late is ‘Earth mined’. That’s apparently different from just mined, but I’m not sure how. Personally, I would pay a good premium for any stone, diamond or not, that’s mined somewhere else.

All of that said, agreed upon language is one of the keys to useful communication. Kudos to CIBJO and the others for trying to be as clear as possible.

LaylaR

Shiny_Rock
Trade
My favorite of late is ‘Earth mined’. That’s apparently different from just mined, but I’m not sure how. Personally, I would pay a good premium for any stone, diamond or not, that’s mined somewhere else.

:lol:

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Pricescope could hang some such on the wall here, if you all choose to ...

The 'Diamond' is diamond statement reminds the similar standard for pearls ... - defending the meaning of The keyword etc. Good, ihmo.

Just the first thought.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results