shape
carat
color
clarity

Lauren B jewelers NYC

Md123456789

Shiny_Rock
Had anyone on here worked with them?

I met with Aric the manager today who was very nice and showed me a bunch of settings for my reset. Work looked nice and is all handmade and custom ordered. Prices seemed good too.

Here is the set I loved! This is pictured with a 1.5 ct loose diamond he placed in it.

image-3041987846.jpg

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Very pretty. How do they define "handmade". Is it cast with hand set stones? Or is it hand forged from wire and then set with stones by hand. Handmade is not a specific enough term. Also what is the warranty and is it in writing? Also do a search on here for them to see if anyone has had any experiences.

Md123456789

Shiny_Rock
Good questions.. I will have to ask. The stones are definitely handset. I just met with them today. I searched for them on here with no luck. I searched and found a couple of yelp reviews that were positive. I am also going to check the better business bureau site for any complaints.

Thanks so much for the good questions!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Md123456789|1329875194|3131320 said:
Good questions.. I will have to ask. The stones are definitely handset. I just met with them today. I searched for them on here with no luck. I searched and found a couple of yelp reviews that were positive. I am also going to check the better business bureau site for any complaints.

Thanks so much for the good questions!

Good job on research. All pave is hand set. There is no other choice. That's why I was asking their definition of hand made. If it's just hand set stones then Tacori could claim "all hand made" kwim? As for yelp, most yelpers don't know squat about jewelry. The jewelers association is worth a call as well as BBB though. And a lifetime warranty (not dependent on 6 month check ins or anything like that) is what you want.

Md123456789

Shiny_Rock
What would be the advantage to it being hand forged?

SB621

Ideal_Rock
Md123456789|1329878363|3131374 said:
What would be the advantage to it being hand forged?

Just my .02 cents but I think it is more perception then advantages to being hand forged. Hand forging is just a different technique which of course will cost more $$$ then anything that is cast made. I seriously doubt your jewelry is hand forging as I have only heard of a few people that do it on a high end scale. I personally don't care if my jewelry is cast or hand forged as long as it looks beautiful and is well made. You can search on PS on hand forging as I think there were several topics that were highly debated over it. Goodluck and I hope you love your reset!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Well, that depends on who you ask and the design in question. The reason I asked is for the pricing and the clarification in their terminology. But also because FOR YOUR DESIGN hand forging would be the 'best' method of fabrication.

Hand forging from wire is stronger in thinner more delicate bands, so for thin bands with pave it is a better choice, generally. Casting tech has gotten really good and aside from some bubbles and manufacturing problems that should be screened for piece by piece and covered by warranty in any event (and a good appraiser can spot issues), casting is great and may even be superior to hand forging for many designs but for thin pave, hand forging is still going to be stronger. Die Cast is another method of metal fabrication. Also very strong but is usually not (though not always) one that adapts to custom work well.

It's just a matter of the right tool for the job, but also to make sure you are getting what you think you are getting, and not something different.

ETA: How thin are those bands? I have a 2 mm wide cast platinum shank and for anything 2 mm and up cast is going to be fine as long as it's done right.IMO. But for thinner than 2mm, I personally would prefer hand forged from wire, depending on my budget. That said, I also wouldn't get a setting thinner than 2mm anyway as I feel that's too thin for everyday wear, so for me personally a cast shank in any event would be fine.

Md123456789

Shiny_Rock
They are 1.75mm. I am looking for something very delicate and thought these were beautiful. I was thinking about thinner than even 1.75 at first but definitely not after trying some on.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yeah, at 1.75 I'd want hand forged from one continuous piece of wire. I'm not a snot about casting, and like I said my own engagement ring shank is cast, but for thin pave bands I'd prefer hand forged for the strength.

Md123456789

Shiny_Rock
Update- I confirmed that it is hand forged. They will also guarantee their jewelry in writing, including replacing the pave stones.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Okay then. Read the fine print and make sure you understand everything and if you love it, there you go.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results