shape
carat
color
clarity

Last minute(week) advice

npham

Rough_Rock
So I've basically nailed down what I plan to do and how I am going to do it, but I'm struggling with the when. We are going on vacation on Aug 31st, flying into San Fransisco(staying 3 nights) then off to Maui/Oahu for another 10 nights or so.

Here is how I plan to propose:
This weekend, I'm going to visit my buddy who is a semi-pro photographer and he's going to be taking and editing a photo of me, the ring and my dog(who means the absolute world to her) with a sign that reads "Will you marry us?" It's been an on going tradition of mine to surprise her on vacations with gifts from our dog, ie flowers waiting in the hotel room from him. We are giving my dog to her parents the night before we take off for SF, so he won't be around for when I do it, and I think it will be cute to include him in the proposal. I'd give her the photo, and then drop down on 1 knee to give her the ring.

But I'm truly stuck on when I should do it. I could do it the morning of the trip, and then steal someone else's idea on here of bring bridal magazines for her as an extra bonus to read on the plane. Or I could wait until we are in SF, or even Hawaii. Getting it through security is tricky, though I suspect I can keep it on my carry on and she won't have any ideas. However, not declaring the ring could potentially cause me a lot of problems with customs. I dropped a good chunk of change on the ring, and would hate to have it get lost on the trip, stolen or "forced" to pay duty or gst on it-I have all the receipts but it would just be a pain in the ass to deal with. I'll have insurance on the ring, so replacing it not a huge concern, but I'm sure I don't need to explain to everyone how upset she and I would be.

What does everyone think? Before we leave? in SF? in Hawaii?

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
How sweet to include the dog!!! I love that idea!

Can you give her a framed photo of you and the dog to open before leaving (while the dog is out of the room) then have him/her enter with the ring around his/her collar?? (secured, so it doesn't get eaten... then you are waiting for it on the other 'end' so to speak!!)

I'd do it before so you eliminate those hassles at the airport and have a few magazines for her to flip thru, as you travel. Proposing and then taking your first trip as an engaged couple, is also pretty special and there is no 'smuggling or duty' involved! However, I'm sure a proposal in Hawaii would be awesome -- -anywhere on any of the islands!!

What have you narrowed it down to at this point??

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Enerchi|1346083436|3257882 said:
How sweet to include the dog!!! I love that idea!

Can you give her a framed photo of you and the dog to open before leaving (while the dog is out of the room) then have him/her enter with the ring around his/her collar?? (secured, so it doesn't get eaten... then you are waiting for it on the other 'end' so to speak!!)

I'd do it before so you eliminate those hassles at the airport and have a few magazines for her to flip thru, as you travel. Proposing and then taking your first trip as an engaged couple, is also pretty special and there is no 'smuggling or duty' involved! However, I'm sure a proposal in Hawaii would be awesome -- -anywhere on any of the islands!!

What have you narrowed it down to at this point??

Ditto! Do it before the flight! I'd hate to hear that your proposal is ruined b/c the the TSA agent forced you to show what was in your pocket!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results