shape
carat
color
clarity

Laser inscription

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Chrisk327

Rough_Rock
I''m just in the process of purchasing a diamond. I believe there was no laser inscription on the diamond. I believe the vender has listed on his site that you can get laser inscription for free...

Now here is my question....

What are the downsides of laser inscription?

Is there a reason not to have it done?

my thinking was... at first to get a personal message inscribbed, but I think I''m going to scratch that since it is not super visable under a 10X as far as I can tell.. am I wrong? I didn''t look that hard, I just know under the 30X i don''t remember it easy to make out on a diamond I saw.

So i was thinking of just getting the GIA # inscribed. Any drawbacks? loss of value etc etc?

is it necessary?

derekinla

Shiny_Rock
I doubt you will be able to scratch it off with day to day wear. Inscriptions, however, can be grinded off with the right tools so they are not necessarily permanent. At 30x, you should be able to make out the inscription but you may need to view it under some bright light. Also at this magnification, your depth of vision will be more narrow than with a 10x loupe so you need to use fine hand movements with the loupe to get the inscription into focus. Inscriptions add peace of mind when you take in the ring to be cleaned, adjusted etc... Ask the jeweler for a loupe and confirm the presence of the inscription (and inclusions) before you leave the store. Although you won't be able to read out an insription with a 10x loupe, you can at least make out that it is their
1.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
No particular downside to GIA # inscription I would think--would also help in future identification of stone if you were to take to a jeweler, leave the ring there for whatever reason.

Also, 69--is it really completely not visible under 10x mag? I thought that if you had excellent lighting it could be visible under 10x mag?
confused.gif

barry

Shiny_Rock
The black carbon used to fill the laser etching of the inscription fades within a very short time after purchase and certainly with repeated cleanings of your ring. Inscriptions are also very easily removeable by a diamond cutter (approx 1-2 minutes) without losing one iota of carat weight.
Voila! A brand new untraceable diamond. Even if you have a clearly demarcated and plotted VS/SI-1/2, it may be open to "interpretation" by your Insurance company. My advice is to get your diamond gemprinted (www.gemprint.com). The fee is nominal, the protection superior to a laser-inscription, plus your insurance company will give you a 10% deduction on your premium. Every diamond has it's unique internal pattern, much like your fingerprint. The Gemprint captures this image. Changing or significantly altering this image requires polishing away approximately 20% of the diamond.
Not likely to happen. These Gemprint images are accessible to all law-enforcement agencies and are admissable as evidence in courts of law, whereas laser-inscriptions are not.

Barry
www.superbcert.com

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yes actually I would concur, GemPrint is an easy way to know your stone--ours cost $40 through our appraiser.
2.gif

barry

Shiny_Rock
Mara,

"through our appraiser
2.gif
"

??????

Barry
www.superbcert.com

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yes our appraiser has a GemPrint machine...Nancy Stacey in Walnut Creek. It was $40 to do it. We got the certificate when we picked up our stone and the appraisal. Pretty cool pattern!

Giangi

Ideal_Rock
You got great advice.
1.gif
Also, keep in mind that personal messages inscribed on the girdle (like 'I will love you forever' and so on), especially if noted on the report, can make the diamond very difficult to sell, should you want to upgrade down the road.
1.gif

Kamuelamom

Brilliant_Rock
I have the GIA# inscribed on my stone and it *is* visible with my 10X loupe. My 40+ eyesight has to r-e-a-l-l-y focus well, but it's definitely visible.
1.gif
I love knowing that it is there. Since it has been reset after the prong situation (it sits slightly higher now), I do find it is slightly more and more difficult to make out the inscription, maybe it indeed is wearing off as Barry pointed out, or maybe because more lighting is now getting in making it more difficult to make out, or both.
confused.gif

On that note, would that carbon be able to be replaced at all once it wears off? By that I mean, would the inscription itself still be there? Barry or anyone?

barry

Shiny_Rock
Mara;

Thanks for the clarification.

Kamuelamom;

I am not aware if it is possible to refill the indented inscription
with black after it has worn off. I do know that with repeated cleanings and steamings the inscipted text does wear away and becomes increasingly difficult to read regardless of high magnification you use.

Barry
www.superbcert.com

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results