shape
carat
color
clarity

Laser inscription question....

rockdigger

Rough_Rock
Is there a reason why some diamonds are laser inscribed with the GIA number while other stones of seemingly similar quality are not?

Daniel S.

Rough_Rock
Are these other stones GIA graded as well with no inscription?

The number will sometimes come from AGS or other grading labs I believe.

rockdigger

Rough_Rock
The other stones are also GIA cerified...for example two 2.3 carat stones triple - X no fluoro S1 D color but one is inscribed but the other is not??? Weird...any thoughts ?

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
Depends on the cutter and the grading report he decides to use.

A Diamond Grading Report type report will have an inclusion plot, basically a finger print of the diamond, and no laser inscription. The cutter can ask for an inscription for an additional cost. This type of report cost more. (EDT: cost is only slightly more, last I check around 50USD IIRC)

A Diamond Grading Dossier type report will not have an inclusion plot, so to id the stone easily a laser inscription is standard for that type of report. Less expensive type of report.

septsparkle

Brilliant_Rock
Ahhh. Thanks for that explanation.
I have always wondered how the laser inscription ended up on the GIA report. One would think you'd have to have the GIA report issued first in order to get the GIA #, so how do they simultaneously note that the stone has been laser inscribed if it can't be done until after the report is issued. Do they edit the report to include the laser inscription, or is GIA doing it while they have the stone? How does this work?

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
Probably, I think you can have your none un-inscribed stone inscribed with the GIA report number by GIA and get a reissued report with the comment of the GIA report number on it.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Stone-cold11 said:
Probably, I think you can have your none un-inscribed stone inscribed with the GIA report number by GIA and get a reissued report with the comment of the GIA report number on it.

yup but apparently it's taking a while currently b/c of layoffs (well, it was in mid-June at least, dunno if the situation's changed)- my stone said inscribed on the report but it wasn't, the original plan was to have it inscribed but WF decided to go the faster route and just get a new report w/o that comment.. it's an SI2 so easy to identify w/ a loupe though, for a VVS I imagine the report number would be more helpful

rockdigger

Rough_Rock
Both diamonds have a GIA diamond report (not dossier) and one shows a laser inscription but the other does not....

I just called bluenile to hear what they have to say about this...they told me it used to be on smaller diamonds that had laser inscriptions more often than the larger diamonds as the inclusion fingerprint is more difficult at times to distinguish...but now she says customer demand is driving cut stones to be laser inscribed for safety concern even the larger ones...that would make sense as the stone with the laser inscription has a GIA report dated a month ago while the one that is not inscribed is more than 6-7 months older....perhaps we will see laser inscriptions more often in the future..?

rockdigger

Rough_Rock
Aren't you concerned of a switch if your stone was supposed to be laser inscribed but it was not??? Re-issuing a GIA report to fix an error??? I suppose you know based on the map that it is truly the stone you intended on getting....just odd...I suppose

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
inscriptions in not really fool proof, not that difficult to by-pass if you have the equipment, or a simple polish wheel to just grind it away. But the inclusions will always be there. Just people being lazy and not wanting to learn how to recognize their stone's characteristics.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results