shape
carat
color
clarity

laser inscription or not ?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

malidd

Rough_Rock
just received the diamond, with GIA cert, want to put a laser inscription on the girdle, but someone told me it will make the GIA cert invalid ...... your opinon ? thanks!

NewEnglandLady

Ideal_Rock
I don''t think that''s true, but I could be wrong. I have a Lazare Kaplan stone and I believe all of his stones have laser inscriptions; my stone is also GIA certified. When I was reading about laser inscribed stones a few weeks ago I remember the author noted that laser inscriptions do not affect GIA certifications.

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock
I think the question goes to the function you have for the certificate. When a diamond is presented to GIA, if it is with an inscription, it would be documented...or...if they do not add an inscription, it has the certificate number, but it''s not noted as also inscribed. To later inscribe it...would then have that aspect not match on the certificate, but then you just have your certificate with the story. It will still have been certed, and the cert functions to confirm the color & clarity, and perhaps the cut, and that function is not undone. Someone saying the diamond is now not the same one that came with the cert is silly. However, you may have a harder time returning it to the guy that sold it to you...if you''re still in the examination period. Overall, inscribing makes later identification easier...and if you can do it economically, I''d say it''s a net plus.

mike c

Rough_Rock
uote>

There are practical reasons why the GIA certificate should have the laser inscription mentioned on it.

Firstly it links the stone to the report and gives the buyer an easy reference for identification.

Also if the report and the stone have corresponding GIA number and most importantly, the logo. you can be sure it is authentic.

Here is an example of a stone recently submitted to the DCLA in Sydney Australia with a false GIA logo and number.

This has been reported by the DCLA to the Diamond club and GIA.

Mike Cohen
Diamond Certification Laboratory of Australia
www.dcla.com.au

GIA Laser JPEG.jpg

elmo

Brilliant_Rock
If the report is less than 60 days old, GIA will inscribe and update the report for $30. Very reasonable, less than it costs to ship the stone around. Otherwise the report must be "updated" at 50-75% the cost of a new report.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results