shape
carat
color
clarity

Laser Engraved Serial Number

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

confuseguy

Rough_Rock
Hi guys,

I just got my stone from WF. When I brought the stone to a jeweller, they told me they could not find any number on the stone. Is that a norm??

Confused....

JogiaDiamonds

Rough_Rock
Trade
It not unusual for even the most experienced to not be able to find a laser inscription.

We put black dots over laser inscriptions when we set the with external setters.

A microscope makes it incredibly easier to see a laser inscription.
41.gif

confuseguy

Rough_Rock
Hope so....in fact 3 person in the shop couldnt find the numbers. Tat makes me more panicky....
33.gif

sparklegrrl

Rough_Rock
You can''t always see them with just a loupe. I''ve tried looking myself at various stones & sometimes you can see, sometimes you can''t. I''d definately advise a microscope too.

confuseguy

Rough_Rock
the problem is that not only they use the loupe, they did use the microscope too........
I think i will bring the stone to another jeweller. I still have belief in WF''s professionism.
1.gif

If the other jeweller can see the numbers, it simply means the earlier jewellers are not really that good after all.
23.gif

confuseguy

Rough_Rock
I went to several jewellery shops. After looking at the AGS cert, they told me the same thing.....
The stone doesnt come with engraving........

The 1st thing that comes to my mind is that y WF never info me abt it and how the independent 3rd party verify it before sending it out????
29.gif

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think it would be very helpful to you if you called WF and discussed this with them.
2.gif

JohnQuixote

Ideal_Rock
Hi Confuseguy. I looked up the diamond you sourced from us. It does not have an inscription - if so it would be noted on the lab report.

There are a number of ways to verify a diamond: Color, clarity, spread and finish are basics. Matching it with the clarity plot is very conventional. When unmounted, a diamond's carat weight is repeatable and 3D scanners can be used to verify proportions within a certain tolerance. Since we have provided you with ideal-scope and ASET photos any expert who is equipped with those scopes could also check our images against the diamond as a supplement. Remember that an inscription can be put on a diamond by anyone who has a machine. Although useful, the inscription is not a decisive way to verify a diamond.

confuseguy

Rough_Rock
Thanks for your reply, John

I guess I only have myself to blame to mislook the lab report. Sigh

Frankly speaking, I am just an amateur. Even I have those photos, I doubt I would b able to recognise it the difference if my jeweller switch the stones by mistake. Even I inscript the stone on my own. The cert cannot be amended again. Take this a good lesson for me.

JohnQuixote

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/10/2008 10:33:20 AM
Author: confuseguy
Thanks for your reply, John

I guess I only have myself to blame to mislook the lab report. Sigh

Frankly speaking, I am just an amateur. Even I have those photos, I doubt I would b able to recognise it the difference if my jeweller switch the stones by mistake. Even I inscript the stone on my own. The cert cannot be amended again. Take this a good lesson for me.
No blame Confuseguy - the world of diamonds is pretty complex. You have learned more by participating on this forum than many people ever will.

A reputable jeweler would not risk his/her hard-earned standing in the community with something as petty as diamond-swapping. With that said, there are bad apples in every profession so your caution is understandable. A jeweler may be able to help you identify your stone at check-in and check-out with his microscope. Yours is VVS clarity but that inclusion plotted on the pavilion should be detectable. It may also be visible from the crown side with the right high mag and focal depth.

If you're considering a jeweler that you feel good about but want assurances we suggest you look into how long he's been in business - check the BBB and ask him for live references (just as we would expect you to check us out). If you have an independent appraiser in your area you might consult him for an opinion. In short, do your homework in the live world just as you have here on PS.

:)

Brilliant_Rock
Confusedguy, don''t worry about not having an inscription - if someone truly wanted to steal your diamond they could just polish the engraving right off! Use the internal plot of the stone to identify your stone as you hand it over to the jeweler for work and then confirm the plot with the jeweler again when you receive it back. Also if you have any fluoroescence in the stone, you could use a little handheld UV light to check it for that too. If it is still loose, then you could also have it weighed in front of you.

confuseguy

Rough_Rock
Thanks for yr advises =)

I''m not really sure abt plotting, as I am sending the loose stone for setting.

Forgive my ignorance, the small spot that I see on the AGS cert will be probably hidden in the setting? Coming to this point, I''m pretty curious. How likely will there be 2 diamonds with the same spot.

Weight wise, I''m custom making the setting locally. Weight may be difficult to determine during the point of collection.

I guess I would still have to laser inscript for 30 bucks and then send it for settings.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
No, you could not see a VVS inclusion even if it was in the middle of the stone (unless you have a powerful microscope at home!)! So don't worry about whether it ends up under a prong or not! Always use reputable jewelers and you shouldn't have to worry about your stone. And of course, get insurance!

I'm glad John answered you about the inscription. I think only ACA's have one normally.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results