shape
carat
color
clarity

larger set or loose?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

diamondlove

Shiny_Rock
I''ve been looking at my new diamond in its temporary setting and as a loose stone and I was just curious if a diamond tends to look bigger while it''s loose/in its temp setting (really high up) vs. when it''s set in a setting. I guess the different settings might make a difference so I''m asking if it''s set in a more traditional tiffany 6 prong setting that''s not especially low nor especially high.

Also, will a 6 prong setting make the diamond look visually smaller? I know that a lot of people prefer 4 prongs because you can see more of the diamond but I wasn''t sure if it is means the diamond will look bigger as well.

Please share your thoughts!

Thanks- DL
p.s. I am a firm believer in H&A diamonds now -- the thing just shimmers and glows like crazy. We put it next to my Tiffany''s diamond necklace (bezel setting) and there''s just no comparison.

windowshopper

Ideal_Rock
yes --my mounting overwhelms my stone--looks bigger when you cover the side stones................

diamondlove

Shiny_Rock
Hi Windowshopper,

So you mean you have a 6 prong setting and it overwhelms your stone? Just making sure...
I''m partial to 6 prongs but I also want what''s most flattering to my stone so I guess I''m still somewhat undecided and trying to gather opinions.

DL

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
She has large side stones which she feels take away from the center stone standing out. I don't think the diamond will look smaller in a tiffany 4 or 6 prong than it does in those ring holders. I think a simple setting does often highlight the stone more than fancy settings.

diamondlove

Shiny_Rock
Oic what you mean. Thanks for the clarification!

That''s good to know. I''m currently in love with the Locke''s Setting that Matatora has and it''s one of the few settings my bf seems to really like as well. The setting is ultimtately up to him as was the stone (I just got to help choose between two stones at the end of his search) but he knows I love simple settings and I showed him photos of the Locke''s setting.

I was just second guessing myself after thinking about whether the stone will end up looking smaller in the 6 prongs. I''ve been staring at the stone in the temp. setting and love the current size so then I was wondering if it''ll look different once it''s set.

Thanks,
DL

froufrou

Shiny_Rock
DL: actually i really like the six prongs. i think it almost makes the diamond look bigger because they go "all the way around" the ring for a round stone. so its like they almost add a tiny bit to each side and make it slightly larger. thats why i prefer six over four for rounds.

also when i looked at diamonds i looked at them on top of various settings at the local jewelers and they alwasy looked bigger with a knife edge or thinner band.

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
I don''t think six prongs will necessarily overwhelm your stone. I used to have an 0.73 ct rb in a six prong setting and I loved it. It''s all about proportion. Very bulky prongs, even if only 4 of them, can overwhelm a stone!

sunkist

Ideal_Rock
Hey diamondlove, I also think that the 6 prong should even make your stone look a little bigger. I''m going to be getting the Lockes solitaire setting for my stone as well (
9.gif
36.gif
) and the man that I''m talking to at Lockes said that my .95ct stone should even look to be a full carat once it''s set. Can''t complain about that, huh??
1.gif

diamondlove

Shiny_Rock
Thanks guys, it''s certainly reassuring and I can stop second guessing our choice to go with the 6 prongs. I just like how it appears rounder to me than a 4 prong setting. It was hard though bc there are so many pretty settings that only come in 4 prongs -- until I fell in love with the Locke''s that is.
30.gif

Sunkist, I saw your posts and I''m so excited for you --- I am also going to be so impatient during this waiting period. I have no idea when my bf will be getting it set nor do I know when he will end up proposing.

I asked Locke''s if their setting sits flush with wedding bands and they have assured me that it sits high enough to sit flush with most wedding bands with no gap at all. That was the biggest thing I was concerned about because so many simple solitaire settings (including the Tiffany''s original one) are not able to sit flush.

DL

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Would someone please give me just a general ballpark idea of how much the Locke setting is? I also like it as well as the SuperbCert Tiffany and I''m just wondering how similar the prices are. Right now those are my two top choices.

Sundial

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/3/2006 10:32:07 AM
Author: diamondseeker2006
Would someone please give me just a general ballpark idea of how much the Locke setting is? I also like it as well as the SuperbCert Tiffany and I''m just wondering how similar the prices are. Right now those are my two top choices.
Don''t mean to hijack this thread, but DS I adore both of those settings and think either would look incredible if we can just find you a diamond!!!

diamondlove

Shiny_Rock
I will try to find out from my bf what he was quoted although I know that the price varies since they custom make the ring based on your stone. I assume they take into account both the size of the ring and the finger size. If you want an exact price they are able to give you a quote over the phone as long as you give them a diamond size range and your finger size. I know that my bf got his quote before he made his final decision on the diamond but he already knew the range of diamond size and my ring size.

Hopefully Sunkist will be able to help more readily! Matatora hasn''t been on lately or else the three of us should be able to give a good range of prices.

DL

sunkist

Ideal_Rock
Hey diamondseeker, my stone is a .95ct and my finger size is 6. I was quoted $1250 for white gold, and $1650 for platinum. So it is more expensive than a typical tiffany solitaire, but then I think it is an extraordinary setting
1.gif

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/3/2006 11:39:22 AM
Author: Sundial

Date: 6/3/2006 10:32:07 AM
Author: diamondseeker2006
Don''t mean to hijack this thread, but DS I adore both of those settings and think either would look incredible if we can just find you a diamond!!!
Sundial, thank you...I am so glad you like them! At this point, I will have zero energy left to start over and be creative with settings, so it will have to be one of the "sure things", and these two qualify!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/3/2006 2:24:16 PM
Author: sunkist
Hey diamondseeker, my stone is a .95ct and my finger size is 6. I was quoted $1250 for white gold, and $1650 for platinum. So it is more expensive than a typical tiffany solitaire, but then I think it is an extraordinary setting
1.gif
Thanks SO much, Sunkist! Your gorgeous stone will be magnificent in that setting and I can hardly wait to see it!!!!

(Thanks, too, DL! I don't have a stone yet so I didn't want to call for a quote until I do!)

sunkist

Ideal_Rock
I forget what size of a stone you are looking for DiamondSeeker. But if you are looking for a larger stone it could be $100-150 more. What size are you looking for??

Oh and thank you! My little diamond is blushing
12.gif
I can't wait for her to be set too, eeee!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/3/2006 2:35:20 PM
Author: sunkist
I forget what size of a stone you are looking for DiamondSeeker. But if you are looking for a larger stone it could be $100-150 more. What size are you looking for??

Oh and thank you! My little diamond is blushing
12.gif
I can''t wait for her to be set too, eeee!
I am looking in the 1.3-1.5 range. That is a hard range to find anything. There are a couple of possibilities in the low end of that range right now, but I may wait a couple of weeks to see what else comes in.

How long does Lockes say it usually takes to set a stone? I may make my decision based on who is faster! Lol!

diamondlove

Shiny_Rock
I asked the bf and he says the quote was $1750 or so for my stone (1.81) and my ring size (3.5). He didn''t ask abt white gold so we don''t have a price for that.

It''s supposed to be two weeks for the setting to be made and set from the day they receive your stone. However, just remember that they need a copy of your certificate (AGS or GIA) before they receive the stone to approve it, etc.

How long does the Superbcert setting take? It should be quicker than the Locke''s one since I don''t think they are making the setting from scratch.

Go with whichever one you love most but I am biased for you to join Sunkist and I and jump on matatora''s Locke''s bandwagon!
25.gif

DL

sunkist

Ideal_Rock
They told me 3 weeks to set it. But once I send it in they can give a better time estimate.

Diamondlove you have a 3.5 size finger!??! That''s going to be soooo good on your finger. Wow!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks girls! I don''t know how long SuperbCert takes either, but I think they do custom make it for the size stone you have. I am debating about going ahead and getting one of the stones on my list or holding out for a little larger one. But it''s clear I wouldn''t have it in two weeks when we go on the first of our vacations. So that''s good to know.

The Lockes setting is definitely more unique but it does cost more. So I''m not sure what I''ll decide!

I will LOVE to see both of your rings when they are done!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results