shape
carat
color
clarity

Larger diamond in the same setting?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Haileysmom

Rough_Rock
Hi Everyone! I am new here (and don''t know a ton about diamonds) so please bear with me!!

I have a 3 stone diamond engagement ring. The ring is beautiful and the stones are gorgeous, but small. My husband would like to upgrade the center diamond to a bigger one but I really want to keep the setting and the side stones. It is a 4 prong setting. Is it possible to keep this ring but upgrade to a larger center stone? My husband has a jeweler he really likes working with so we will bring it there (where he bought the ring) but has anyone had this done?

Thank You!

Sizzle

Brilliant_Rock
Are the prongs "buit in" to the setting? I think if you posted a photo we''d be able to tell.

Collee

Shiny_Rock
What is the stone size difference? The head of a setting is made to accommodate the dimensions of the stone. Some heads can be changed to fit a larger or smaller stone but depending on the setting, how it was constructed and if the new stone is considerably larger than you most likely will have to get a new setting.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Depending on how much larger the new stone is, it might fit or it might not. An increase of 0.5 mm all around is usually not an issue. An increase of 1 mm is iffy, depending on the setting and depth of the stone.

Haileysmom

Rough_Rock
Thank you for your quick replies. I attached a side view of the diamond if that helps!

IMG00113-20091228-0957.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You might be able to get by with a 0.5 mm increase. I''ve done an upgrade for my 3 stone ring and it wasn''t an issue going up 0.5 mm. When I upgraded it a second time by 1 mm (total of 1.5 mm from the original size), it was too much for the poor setting.
9.gif
You''ll have to ask your jeweller if that setting can accomodate a 1 mm increase.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think if you can use the exact same setting without rebuilding the prongs or anything then it isn''t enough of an upgrade to bother
3.gif
LOL! Kidding kidding...

Best to ask the jeweler. But I think it may be best to have the head of the ring remade. They can probably reuse the shank.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results