shape
carat
color
clarity

Large Window?

rubysweettart

Shiny_Rock
If a stone has a large window but you've fallen in love with it anyways, is there a way to set it minimize the window?

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
How large? Are there pics?

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yeah. There are plenty of examples over in the Colored stone forums :)

rubysweettart

Shiny_Rock
The seller thinks it's synthetic and I didn't want to get into trouble asking there! Here's a pic:
Screen Shot 2018-12-31 at 3.56.06 PM.png

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The seller thinks it's synthetic and I didn't want to get into trouble asking there! Here's a pic:
Screen Shot 2018-12-31 at 3.56.06 PM.png
You could have it recut. Or we could help you find something in that color without a huge window :)

rubysweettart

Shiny_Rock
@lovedogs I'm really loving the $50 price tag! ;)2 Not sure I'd do better than that, even with synthetic!

It's the perfect color and perfect price but in all honesty, I don't love the cut (the window and I generally don't go for ovals). Maybe I should just wait until I have the funds for a better cut stone?

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@lovedogs I'm really loving the $50 price tag! ;)2 Not sure I'd do better than that, even with synthetic!

It's the perfect color and perfect price but in all honesty, I don't love the cut (the window and I generally don't go for ovals). Maybe I should just wait until I have the funds for a better cut stone?
That's what I would do, epscially if you'll need to pay to recut anyway.

rubysweettart

Shiny_Rock
That's what I would do, epscially if you'll need to pay to recut anyway.

I don't think I'd recut, I'd just wear it as is. I'd probably put it in a ballerina setting. Do you think the window would look bad if there was a halo?

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't think I'd recut, I'd just wear it as is. I'd probably put it in a ballerina setting. Do you think the window would look bad if there was a halo?
It depends. Personally it would drive me crazy, but somw people aren't as bothered by windows.

rubysweettart

Shiny_Rock
@lovedogs Thanks for your honesty! I have this problem with, "Oh, look it's a good deal!" but all my good deals added up could have bought me one amazing stone I love more! (Not yet, but I see this happening very soon.) I will consider it and maybe buy it next year. Or wait until I have the budget to get the one I really want which is probably smarter because this only scratches an itch but doesn't really make it go away. I love that this group only enables SMART buying!!!!! Happy New Year!!!!!

Irishgrrrl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Normally, I would say if the window doesn’t bother you and you love the stone, buy it! But the fact that you’re asking about ways to set it to minimize the window tells me that the window would bother you. And that’s one of those things that you just can’t unsee.

I think the color of the stone is beautiful, and I don’t think it would be hard to find a well-cut stone in that shade for a good price. Have you looked into morganites at all? They’re relatively inexpensive and you can find well-cut ones pretty easily. Mine is an oval that came from LOGR and I couldn’t be happier with it! But you could also talk to Dan Stair, Jeff White, Jeff Davies, Richard Homer, etc. and see if you could get something custom cut for a reasonable price. :))

rubysweettart

Shiny_Rock
Normally, I would say if the window doesn’t bother you and you love the stone, buy it! But the fact that you’re asking about ways to set it to minimize the window tells me that the window would bother you. And that’s one of those things that you just can’t unsee.

I think the color of the stone is beautiful, and I don’t think it would be hard to find a well-cut stone in that shade for a good price. Have you looked into morganites at all? They’re relatively inexpensive and you can find well-cut ones pretty easily. Mine is an oval that came from LOGR and I couldn’t be happier with it! But you could also talk to Dan Stair, Jeff White, Jeff Davies, Richard Homer, etc. and see if you could get something custom cut for a reasonable price. :))

Do you wear your morganite often? I'd love to eventually create a ring that's a cross between Princess Eugenie's and a Heidi Gibson (ballerina style) with a peachy center. I'm worried about it holding up, I've read some reviews on morganite being too soft and I cringed when I hit my diamond on the cart at Costco last night.... I know I'm kind of hard on my rings!

_dracarys_

Shiny_Rock
I had a morganite and once I saw the window in it it was impossible to unsee it. I ignored all the advice that it was too soft and thought because I'm a desk jockey who babied rings I'd be okay...wrong. After 2 years of taking it off to wash my hands (but not always), never wearing it to the gym or while cooking and taking it off when I got home from work it looked like a piece of pink sea glass.

A precision cut stone will have the least amount of windowing.

strawrose

Brilliant_Rock
With naturals, you have a much narrower choice in cut. With synthetics, I think it’s worth it to get a great cut.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results