shape
carat
color
clarity

Large price differences in semi precious stones

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
Am I to assume that with semi precious stones like spessartite spinel peridot etc., that I will be getting a better stone on the sites that charge more for their stones? Or is it often just the mark up of the vendor.There is such a price range online and for the most part the photos look very similar and the descriptions are similar too. So is the price difference mostly mark up, or are they just generally better stones. I know not all rules can apply with every situation but I''m curious and a little bit confused with all the different sites .

elmo

Brilliant_Rock
You sound like you know this - particularly nice stones will almost always cost more, but costing more is absolutely no guarantee you're getting a nice stone
1.gif

It's hard to say until you get to know the vendor. I actually see relatively few sites I have a high degree of confidence in regardless of price. The color business hasn't gotten to where the diamond business is and probably never will. The few folks in the future who specialize in color and price fairly (not cheaply nor speculatively) will find a successful niche I expect. Heck, just look how few diamond sellers there are that do as good a job as some of the best here do.

Michael_E

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
innerkitten,
I think that it just depends on the vendor and how much they are willing to tell you about the stone. The best vendors will, of course, offer you a complete refund if you aren't satisfied. Color is a really tough thing to quantify. With diamonds it's easier, since there are accepted rules for color and levels of color, as well as cut and what constitutes a well cut stone. With colored stones cut has not been as critical and what constitutes a well cut stone in sapphire may be a poorly cut stone in aquamarine. Pictures are also a poor way to judge colored stones, since they can be manipulated so easily. In general though I would say that the most expensive sites probably do have the best stones, since they all have money back guarantees and their reputation is at stake. If you are wanting smaller stones and middle of the road prices, then some of the sites by individual cutters are very reasonable and the cutting tends to be very good. If you do end up with a well priced stone that is poorly cut, you can always have it re-cut and still end up with a good buy.

mogok

Shiny_Rock
Hello Innerkitten,
well you are right to be confused... Elmo and Michael have already answered globally what I could tell you.
I think that you have to try to communicate with the website. When you will know them, then you will know what to expect from them and what you cannot.

But for colored stones in gem markets I've seen many times bad stones asked for more than good gems... It depends about the price the stone was bought, the cash need of the owner, the beauty of the gems,... so many factors.

Color stone business is a jungle... Somewhere that's why it is great.

All the best,

Cave Keeper

Shiny_Rock
----------------
On 7/28/2004 1:22:05 PM innerkitten wrote:
Am I to assume that with semi precious stones like spessartite spinel peridot etc., that I will be getting a better stone on the sites that charge more for their stones? Or is it often just the mark up of the vendor.There is such a price range online and for the most part the photos look very similar and the descriptions are similar too. So is the price difference mostly mark up, or are they just generally better stones.
:
----------------
Assuming identical stones are sold at various sites, I suspect somes site able to present more flattering images will ask more for their stones.

Assuming low quality stones are being offered, I suspect some sites might present low resolution images or avoid certain angles and sides to hide its defects, e.g., a stone that is pretty opaque when translucency is highly desirable.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results