shape
carat
color
clarity

Large, Funky, Bargain!

4ever

Ideal_Rock
F527434D-4A39-464A-A3EC-DC1C3F7A9505.jpeg 1270EEA8-A2B3-4CB2-871E-C3159023F9B8.jpeg Hi All!

Needed to share this with some ladies who would appreciate these and a good bargain

I’ve wanted a larger pearl strand for a while now, not large round pearls (can’t pull it off, I look like a cartoon character sadly) but something large enough to hold its own. I have several cheap and cheerful loooonnnggg FW ropes which are lots of fun but I have wanted a more “grown up” pearl necklace. Unfortunately I have expensive taste and limited means and don’t make ‘significant’ jewellery purchases often.

I work for a chain jewellers in the head office (not in the US). My good friend/colleague was recalling old stock from stores to work on and was having a laugh with another colleague about how ugly this strand of pearls was. She came over as a joke to say “I found the perfect thing for you to buy” (which we do to each other when we come across particularly “special” pieces) and to her horror I was like, “yeah, actually they’re great!” The thread was all stretched out and near broken in places but the luster and size were :love:

The buyer didn’t want to put any more money in to them (and didn’t purchase them originally) so I made an extremely cheeky offer and....bought them for about what I’ve previously spent on a fancy takeaway pizza :dance:

Took my new babies home, quickly rethreaded them on new silk and I kind of love them! The biggest pearl is 1.5inches long :bigsmile: and I love that there are so many different coloured overtones on these pearls. Also one looks like a duck, which my toddler is very fond of :bigsmile: The clasp is silver and MOP.

If any of you ladies can tell me anything about these I would appreciate it, they were inaccurately described as Mabe pearls. FW? salt Water? No clue.

Last edited:

Pearlescence

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
They are 'fireball' pearls....bead nucleated pearls with a long tail. The round 'head' is where the bead is and then, instead of obligingly growing a classic perfectly round pearl the freshwater mussel has added its own flourish of a tail. This happens when the pearl sac doesn't form a perfect smooth enclosure around the bead after insertion. They do indeed tend to have great lustre and natural colours.
As freshwater grafting techniques improve these wild and dramatic pearls are only going to get rarer.
Fireballs are 99% freshwater though I have come across the odd south sea and tahitian ones.

4ever

Ideal_Rock
Thanks Pearlescence.
What a shame they are going to be so uncommon in future, sounds like they’re pretty under appreciated! Presumably they’re worth less to then the round pearls the farmers were aiming for then?

Pearlescence

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
rarer probably as implant techniques refine and hone but some fireballs can be very valuable. I've met some with curly tails over 2cm long or swirly like a spanish tango dancers dress. Those get priced and bought individually.
The tahitian and south sea ones rarely see the market. The sea pearl market is remarkably conservative and has to go off and think about even acknowledging anything except perfectly round

4ever

Ideal_Rock
I’ve had a look through different fireball stands online and the value does seem to vary widely. Some of them are :love::cheeky::$$):

I’m extremely happy with these for what I paid for them, hopefully it dosn’t give me the itch for a nicer strand.

I understand the value in perfection and the desire for a perfectly round pearl just as people desire the perfectly white clear diamond. In saying this, there is so much beauty to be found in imperfections and I tend to be drawn to slightly unique and unusual jewellery.

I think the reason they were dismissed as “ugly” is because most people only see round pearl strands, especially over here. Round pearls are classic, commercially “safe” and much easier to measure the value of I guess. It’s a shame the sea pearl market is so safe and conservative, there is much more to beauty than perfection.

Pearlescence

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
The really outstanding fireballs tend to end up as pendants, or even earrings - yes they can sometimes be matched (though your earlobes might need weight training)
I remember showing some superb white round metallic freshwater pairs to the people from a very well known SS pearl company who were trying hard to sell me their pairs. My freshwaters outshone their WSS massively. They were totally flummoxed when I asked them why would my customers pay more for their dull pearls when they could have really shiny ones at about a fifth of the price?
Many of the sea pearl people are locked into the 'rice crispies' mindset of around 15 years ago and are a wee bit complacent

MarionC

Ideal_Rock
Premium
They are beautiful and to me are like clouds where you can see fantasy beings, like the “duck pearl” in your strand. Great purchase!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gosh I love these @4ever :love: That lustre and those shapes and size :appl:Really just gorgeous! Ethereal, organic and dreamy.:kiss2:

Pearlescence

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
It's a mandarin duck I reckon, pretty apt!

4ever

Ideal_Rock
Thanks ladies, I’m so happy to be able to show them to people who “get” these pearls. I got looked at like a crazy person a few times when I told people at work I bought them.
In saying that after they were rethreaded I did get a couple of compliments ;))

lambskin

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Love your fireballs a/k/a comets. I bought three strands-white, silver and pinkish, in Shanghai over 5 years ago. I had them restrung there (no cost) to make two ropes and a couple of single pendants. All set in sterling silver clasps and mountings. Some of the pearls are better quality than others. The price was very, very low. I too have seen these sold for high prices (see 1st Dibs) and then others at a low price. Pearlscense is spot on in her posts. I get compliments all the time and people think they are baroque south seas pearls. Enjoy.:appl:

4ever

Ideal_Rock
lambskin, they sound beautiful! Do you have any photos? I do love a good pearl rope!

BrownGinger

Shiny_Rock
I am not well versed on pearls at all but I think your necklace is gorgeous!

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Beautiful- I love the metallic luster of your pearls.

4ever

Ideal_Rock
Thank you BrownGinger and LisaRN.
I am enjoying them but I think I’m going to do a rethread soon, the thread I used was what I had on hand at the time (I was very keen to wear them to work the next day) and a bit too lightweight for the weight of the pearls. I might try changing the order slightly with the next rethread.

ennui

Brilliant_Rock
Congratulations on the beautiful bargain!

angeljosephy

Rough_Rock
Premium
I would love to see neck shots of these beauties!:love:

katbran

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
They look great. Lovely lustre and if you paid the same as a Pizza.. you did well !

AMRN0516

Rough_Rock
Wow these are amazing! I think a unique piece of high quality jewelry with a great story is always worth more :) who cares what it’s worth on the open market, the story is where it’s at! The mass market can value round pearls all day long. These have much more character!!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results