shape
carat
color
clarity

large culet in OEC?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

vslover

Shiny_Rock
Can anyone tell me looking at the certificate if the "large culet" would be a problem in this ring?

http://antiqueengagementrings.com/shopping/shopexd.asp?id=1824

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
A large culet is a characteristic of many OEC stones and one that many people treasure at that. So unless there is something odd about that specific diamond, it''s normal.

vslover

Shiny_Rock
Ok thanks...I wasn''t sure if it was normal or not...now I know!

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/14/2008 11:41:33 PM
Author: vslover
Ok thanks...I wasn''t sure if it was normal or not...now I know!

No problem!
1.gif

vslover

Shiny_Rock
Anyone else have any comment about that particular ring?

HeartingDiamonds

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Pretty stone! The setting doesn''t do much for me, though, sorry (although I love the prongs!).

Also, I just think that you can do much better, center stone-wise, for that price.

vslover

Shiny_Rock
Ok thanks for the input. Not sure why I like it but I guess I''ll keep looking around!

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That''s my favorite one that they have right now! It''s purdy.

vslover

Shiny_Rock
Is it normal for OECs to perform poorly on the HCA? The ring scored a 5, which sounded terrible...but not sure if that''s normal for OECs. Thanks!

diagem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 1/17/2008 12:36:12 AM
Is it normal for OECs to perform poorly on the HCA? The ring scored a 5, which sounded terrible...but not sure if that''s normal for OECs. Thanks!
When it comes to older-cuts..., I would''nt call their performance grade "poor" on a tool that checks modern cut Diamond for near
31.gif
perfection...

All old-cuts were cut to wide ranges of proportions adding the term "character" in which most modern rounds and the HCA tool does not take into account!

Hope this helps...

onvacation

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/17/2008 12:36:12 AM
Hi,
I have an OEC which doesn''t score so great for light return but is still very much alive, full of fire and broad flashes. I wouldn''t think it detracts from the quality of the cut, but as Diagem said, it''s more a different cut with a different purpose. You wouldn''t devalue an emerald cut for lacking the sparkle of a modern round, wouldn''t you?

But this reminds me that my stone measured a little over 2 on the HCA, which I personally think is not too bad at all for an OEC, so that might be a bit different from the stone you''re looking into. You might want to ask Surfgirl about her stone, since she has an amazing transitional cut!

Hope this helps!

tulip928

Brilliant_Rock

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I put the percentages of my stone into the HCA thing for kicks:

Factor Grade
Light Return Good
Fire Poor
Scintillation Good
Spread or diameter for weight Fair
The culet might be visible in the center of this diamond. (uh, yeah, ya think? ;-))
Total Visual Performance 5.9 - Good - Only if price is your main criterion

I heart my OEC, it''s sparkly and pretty and wonderful. But it simply can''t be measured by all these new fangled devices.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results