shape
carat
color
clarity

Laptop Recommendation- Mine just croaked

April20

Ideal_Rock
i have (had) a Toshiba Satellite laptop. I was working away tonight and I got the NASTIEST series of red messages and it just died. I was able to pull the spreadsheet for my Etsy business off, but lost all my pics. Thankfully, they are still on my camera, but all my editing is lost.

To the point, I can't do a lot of thing off my iPAD, so I have to replace my laptop ASAP. I need decent hard drive memory, at least 500GB, but would like to keep it under $600. Recommendations? I am gping to try to go shopping tomorrow afternoon.

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi April,

Unless you are gaming, I'd recommend the cheapest laptop available, b/c they break more readily from lugging and tugging around. I got Fi a $349 Toshiba Satellite from Best Buy Christmas 2010. I just checked the reviews real quick to make sure people were satisfied with the particular model I was buying.

SUCKS when they die in the most inopportune time!

We're like sick computer hoarders in this apartment - Fi's on the X-mas laptop, I'm on my 2007 macbook, he's got a desktop that's possessed (randomly turns on) purposefully on right now, I lugged home my brick laptop from work to do some work, but I'm too pooped to do work now... There are usually another two laptops, my 2007 Toshiba Satellite and an 8" netbook, but they're hanging out at my parents' place right now.

:lol: Geez...

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
apple apple apple!

You may spend a little more on the initial outlay but you will have a very reliable unit for a much longer time than a PC laptop.

apple.com and then you can browse options.

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Enerchi|1327630609|3112690 said:
apple apple apple!

You may spend a little more on the initial outlay but you will have a very reliable unit for a much longer time than a PC laptop.

Oh Enerchi! You know what they say...

Once you go Mac, you never come back! :lol: :lol: :lol: :appl: :appl: :appl:

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
apple

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
PintoBean said:
Enerchi|1327630609|3112690 said:
apple apple apple!

Oh Enerchi! You know what they say...

Once you go Mac, you never come back! :lol: :lol: :lol: :appl: :appl: :appl:

I hear ya, PintoBean!!! We've been an apple family for about 8 years... if it starts with an "i" we have it! DH was draped in black when Steve Jobs died....

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Apple. I an a MacAir. I love it.

April20

Ideal_Rock
Y'all are killing me. I really want an apple, but I think it's out of my budget right now. ;( BUT, I'm gonna go price them and see what comes up.

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
you can buy 1 apple once, or 3 PC's over time. Just sayin'!!!

"you get what you pay for" ;))

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
I haven't read the posts yet so excuse me if my advice can't help you but I'm sorry your computer died and wanted you to know we just got this amazing Lenovo- full size- super fast- etc.) for $370. Awesome computer and price. It's hard to believe these things have gotten so good and so cheap. I'm in love. I don't care if I never pay more than $370 again and this is IBM's business class (I think) computer. I have no complaints. Good luck!

minmin001

Ideal_Rock
I just went from PC to Apple cuz my hp crashed and love it =)

Hera

Ideal_Rock
I love my Mac but I have had a Lenovo and I liked that as well.

TristanC

Brilliant_Rock
Lenovo is great for Lappys on a budget.

PCs are just as durable as iWhatevers. But you need a brand with decent build quality for the price. There are rock solid lappys that won't break as well, but like the Mac, they charge a premium. Get what you pay for.

Just that PCs are far more susceptible to virus/external trojans and all that malware out there. So the user has to be a little more disciplined.

I love the design of mac, the things I don't like are that they are too isolationist, so although they have really great ideas and designs, on the occasions they are lagging... they refuse to incorporate other people's ideas IF they are better so you are forced to adopt a compromise.

I build my own pc from parts, so anything goes wrong, I fix it myself. Nothing wrong for a long while now.

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
My husband and I both have Sony Vaios. I can't remember what we paid but I know mine was less expensive (I *think* it was $800, actually). It's been a great computer so far. I've had mine for about 2.5 years or so.

Everyone I talk to loves Macs and hates PCs. I've had and liked both, but I really, really hate how much more expensive Macs are. I may break down and buy a Mac someday but for now, I'm sticking with my Vaio.

April20

Ideal_Rock
Posting pictures on Etsy requires flash. I know my iPad doesn't have it. Do Mac books? Or is there a workaround if I were to go that route?

Silvia

Rough_Rock
There is flash for MacBooks.
I vote apple also!

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm looking at this price range for one of my bosses who needs a new computer.

Not sure where you are right now, but Staples sent me their ad today and they've got some reasonable ones on sale. I'm also looking at TigerDirect and some other online places I've worked with in past (free shipping and no tax make some of the online places cheaper than physical store!). The i5 or i6 processor looks like it is the thing to get right now. (I beleive it is the i6 that is quad core).

April20

Ideal_Rock
Okay, I'm back with a new laptop. I looked at the Mac books, but they're just not in my budget right now.

I got a Lenovo V570 with an i5 processor and a 750GB hard drive. So far, so good. It was under $600, which was good compared to other brands.

We'll see how it performs over time! Thanks for all the input. I really wish I could afford a Mac book right now, but it's just not in the cards (we're buying a second property that then has to be remodeled- food for another thread at some point!).

Porridge

Ideal_Rock
Apple. Hands down.

If you must stick with PC, LeNovo are good (they took over from IBM when IBM stopped doing hardware). Good machines.

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Congrats on the new laptop!

I still say go the cheapest with a laptop - it's going to be ported around and tossed around.

I have cracks on the macbook and my toshiba laptop alike. I got both around the same time, but the macbook was $1200 and my toshiba was $500. I am more heartbroken over the macbook than the toshiba.

For a desktop - I would DEFINITELY say go mac! I got my parents a mac mini - the price is more reasonable than a macbook.

Mayk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Apple.... Love ours!

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
Congrats! Ours is about exactly $600 price point because I looked it up on the Lenovo site.

We got it in December on sale. We were just really lucky. That's when our desktop of 6 years happened to break.

Good luck with it!

April20

Ideal_Rock
Imdanny|1327720608|3113594 said:
Congrats! Ours is about exactly $600 price point because I looked it up on the Lenovo site.

We got it in December on sale. We were just really lucky. That's when our desktop of 6 years happened to break.

Good luck with it!

Thanks Danny! I really like it so far. It's nice and fast when I play bejeweled. :cheeky:

April20

Ideal_Rock
Oh, and I really like the feel of the keyboard and the layout of it. I used a friend's laptop the other day and the keys were laid out weirdly along the top. I kept hitting the wrong buttons!

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
Glad you got a laptop you are happy with and the price was right, April20!

(now.. start saving for your future Apple laptop! ROFL!!!)

Enjoy :bigsmile:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results