shape
carat
color
clarity

Lang Antique: Comments? Antique Settings: Market Value?

SparklyOEC

Brilliant_Rock
Hi Old and Mine. First I can't wait to see pictures of your ring. Second, if you bought it at Lang's, I don't think you will have to worry about it being a modern cushion with a crushed ice look. I know I'm late to this thread, but I had found a gorgeous ring at Lang's and emailed to inquire about the ring including a question about whether it could be resized. Suzanne immediately responded to my email and told me that she did not think the ring would work for me due to the style of the ring because it would need to be sized from a 6 to a 4 (which wouldn't work for that particular setting). She didn't pressure me about another ring and I truly appreciated her honesty.

OldAndMine

Rough_Rock
Hi Sparkly!

Thanks for the reassurance! When people around me asked in amazement how on earth did I find such a piece on the net (how do you know it is real, how do you know it is what they say it is, etc), I said I relied heavily on the reputation of the seller. And I did spent a great deal of time researching various sellers and only allow myself to look at those who are positively mentioned here in the forum consistently throughout the years.

I was a little worried about the whole "crushed ice" thing, but I kept telling myself that if Lang is true to its reputation they will never allow a stone like that in. Even though I saw that the term "crushed ice" may not be referring to the same phenomena, and not therefore universally agreed as good or bad, my mind is at peace to know that Lang has amazing gemologists who know what they are doing, and should know good from bad.

My ring too was in need of resizing by more than 2 sizes. Thankfully, after some assessment, that can be done, although I think it can't be done by any less a craftsman. So other than stone knowledge, I can say that they have access to amazing jewelers with great skills. The ring has pierced gallery and the stone was a bit above 2 ct so I was a little anxious. But it came out amazing. Absolutely amazing. I could not be happier.

Because I am new to older cuts, I did have to rely heavily on the reputation of the seller. And I can't agree more with those here who said that good reputation is A MUST to buy from. And as such, the premium I was asking you guys about earlier, is worth it.

I must also say that for those who are anxious about "warmer" stones, don't be. At least not in antiques and old ones. When people say you can get away with warmer stones in older cuts, you SO CAN :love: This is my first older cut (OMC), and my first warmer stone (M - not yet independently appraised). I was very anxious about the colour because I purchased this sight unseen and only relied on pictures.

I compared my M with what appeared to my eyes as similarly coloured round brilliant and perhaps it is the cut but somehow to me the OMC looks much nicer in the same hue. Even though I read in the forum somewhere that cuts like OMC actually traps colours more, the OMC does not actually look yellower. Perhaps because OMC has that "watery" feel to it? I have no idea. The yellow tint become more apparent when I took a picture of all the warmer stones. But when I wear my ring, you could hardly tell, other than a brief flash of lemony hint and then it was gone. Because of the cut, the stone reflects more of its surrounding colour anyway. And I guess the eyes could not tell whether the lemony flash was the stone or a reflection of its surrounding. Whatever it is, you really can get away with warmer stones for older cuts, and for those who must have "mind-colourless" stone I challenge you to take a look a KLMN older or antique cuts. Most people thought mine is somewhere along HIJ.

But I must note that the comparison above was done between stones that are set in various ways and in various metals. Gold and platinum, and open claw setting and various others for theirs, and setting which looks like a combo of bezel and claw setting on mine (the bottom of the stone is not exposed but covered by platinum filigree). So maybe, the platinum covering the bottom of the stone helps. Not sure.

Someone who has never seen old cuts commented that the OMC that I have reminded her of a faceted Swarovsky crystal ball. I guess that is a good thing? Well, I suppose depends on what we are looking for. I like that it has flashes all over the surface of the stone, from edge to edge. I guess as such, she was right. And it is a good thing! A little like having a disco ball around your finger :twirl:

It is amazing how much of a different animal this OMC is! :appl:

I want to thank you again for those who have shared their thoughts. You are right that buying an antique ring is a different ball game, compared to hunting for an old stone and then setting it, or, buying new. The combination of stone and setting which I have now feels so unique. And I delight in the thought that this is uniquely mine, this particular stone, with this particular setting. Again, to me, this, is worth the premium.

You are definitely paying more for the emotional element compared to buying new. And buying new diamonds is emotional enough! So if you are thinking of "liquidity" or "resale" value, the antique market might not be the right section for you, at least not right now. Who knows, it might be one day! :cheeky:

I am relying on my Blackberry to take a close up pic of the ring and it is not doing a very good job at all. From a far it is not too bad, but you can't really see the details. I will keep trying.

anne_h

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
We need to see pictures!! :)

BTW, sounds like you are happy with your choice - congrats!

Anne

swingirl

Ideal_Rock
I can't wait to see photos of your new ring. My avatar ring is from Lang's. I was lucky enough to buy it in person. Their in-house selection of antique jewelry is fabulous even though they are a tiny store.

kefira

Shiny_Rock
Ooh, I think I know which one you got - I had considered it too before I found my OEC/trans ering with a stone I fell in love with. I can't wait to see it on you, because it's really beautiful. Please post some pictures soon! And I agree with you so much about color. The personality of old cuts just works in so many more colors than RB, IMO.

OldAndMine

Rough_Rock
Hello Hello.

You know what, I might just post whatever picture quality I can get. Maybe that is better than waiting forever for a good close up.

Kefira, can you show us the OEC you spoke of? :appl:

Anne, yes, I am very happy with my choice. As soon as I saw it I knew it was for me. I doubt myself a lot because on paper it is not the kind of stone I would normally consider (too low on the colour grade). But when I saw it, it was like it was picking me! And I am so glad I ignore my fear about warmer stones! (Thanks to PS!) There is no going back now :bigsmile:

I was so nervous when opening the box and the first few seconds that I caught sight of the stone and ring inside the box will be etched in my memory for a long time :love: The old cut is soooo different. But I have finally found a ring that is totally ME. I have finally found what I have all these years been looking for, but just did not know what or where :twirl:

Swingirl, I think went through your posts about your ring from Lang in my research :) So I feel like I already know it well :))

Will try that pic soon!

OldAndMine

Rough_Rock
2.45 ct, appx M, OMC, platinum, circa 1910-1920
Ring Size 4

(You can see the stone does not appear yellow at all. But you can see flashes of colours, and if there is any yellow glint in there, at least to me, they appear as if it is part of the other colours, if that make sense)

070220122619.jpg

OldAndMine

Rough_Rock
This must be the WORST picture quality on PS

:((

I must say, here, the stone appears MUCH yellower than how it appears in real life, but perhaps consistent with its grading of M

-

070220122630.jpg

OldAndMine

Rough_Rock
Let's try another one

070220122625.jpg

OldAndMine

Rough_Rock
I give up.... Will try with a proper camera once I can get a hold of one... Sorry people :((

070220122626.jpg

kefira

Shiny_Rock
Yes! That's the one I was remembering. The diamond looks so nice on your little finger! Please do keep trying for more pics so we can see the setting and everything, but I love what I can see so far. Is it your e-ring, or a for-fun ring? Either way, congratulations!

And, sure, I will post some of my own attempts at photography when I get my ring back from the jeweler's. It's being sized and having the prongs and milgrain refurbished. I'm nervous/excited to get it back!

OldAndMine

Rough_Rock
Hi Kefira

Thanks for the compliment :twirl: I have a rule of my own about ideal diamond size, that is, the size of my ring finger nail :)) I think for my hand, any diamond larger than my finger nails will look a bit much. There is such a thing as too large in my case. When I saw someone's 5 ct here looking absolutely stunning, I was beginning to think that mine was not going to be large enough :tongue: Thankfully, it is! :bigsmile: (This will protect me from the Shrinking Stone Syndrome... Hee hee...)

This is not my engagement ring. But we recently lost my engagement ring. We are very very bummed about that :(( So this ring became somewhat a replacement for it, even though it was purchased as my 42nd birthday and 6th anniversary present from my husband. I wish we can indulge in "for fun" anything that is within this price range! :naughty: I am guessing that for years to come my presents will be a tad "smaller" than this :tongue:

I am glad you decided against this ring when you saw it :cheeky: :cheeky: For an utterly nosey reason, may I know how you come to your decision? It would be wonderful to see the ring which has taken your heart :appl: I can't wait!

This ring escaped me the first time around, as I struggle with two choices of 2 ct Edwardian, both beauuuuutiful, but as these things go, there was something about them that did not feel quite right. Then upon second or third look through the website as I mulled things over I saw this one and immediately thought how did I miss that. When I saw that it was colour graded M I sort of knew why. And I can't be more glad to have decided to consider an M. I was not going to. At all.

I am such a convert to "warmer" stones now. OH YES! :love: I don't care what is commonly said about warmer stones. In fact, I found myself passionately "educating" my friends and family with the fervor of an evangelist, as soon as they say "but it is yellow" *AFTER* I TOLD THEM it is an M (NOT ONE person guessed anything yellower than GHIJ).

Waiting in anticipation for the pic of your ring :wavey:

kefira

Shiny_Rock
I'm sorry you lost your e-ring! That's heartbreaking. I hope your new beauty is helping you to feel better. And, can I just say that I never would have guessed your age from what I can see of your hands. :)) I think I will go moisturize now.

Don't worry, I don't think you are being nosy. I would ask the same question! Mainly, it was that as I looked more and tried things on, I realized that I preferred a euro cut for my e-ring. The size of your stone was extremely temping, however! I wasn't exactly sure about how much I would be comfortable wearing (cost-wise), either. I ended up with a much smaller rock (about 1.5 ct), and I think it was the right decision for me. I tend to dress very casually and although I love looking at jewelry, I don't wear it often. I will be wearing this every day, however, so we'll see how I do with shrinkage!

BTW, my ring probably won't be back from surgery until about the 18th, so don't think I have forgotten in the meantime. I promise to post some pictures in a new thread (it's a bit too off topic since I didn't end up purchasing at Lang this time). You should start a new thread for yours when you have more pictures, that way everyone will see it.

Happy birthday and congrats on 6 years! :appl:

OldAndMine

Rough_Rock
Hi Kefira

You have such nice things to say! :))

Hold on, you can see someone's age by the look of their hands...?? :shock: I am going to *REALLY* moisturize now .... :bigsmile:

Yes, this new pretty helps us feel a bit better about the loss of our engagement ring. However, nothing can replace the historical significance of the old one, it was smaller and not in the style that I would pick for myself (hubby picked it with the help of a good friend of his) but it was a part of my life and a witness to the many adventures he and I shared for years before we got married (we had a very long engagement).

Thanks for sharing you decision making process :)) I too am a casual girl. Jeans and converse shoes or sandals all the way. I kept on trying to reconcile my closeted bling side with my actual casual daily self with limited success. I have learned that it is not a good idea to wear a nice watch or precious jewelry while carrying a backpack :-o I had intended to wear this ring every day. But right now it is sitting in its box! I started with taking it off every time I went to bed, and when I wash the dishes, when I am in the shower... :shock: ... Hm.... However, I saw some very fashionable and chic young ladies waiting tables and cleaning and serving and doing all sorts with their hands while wearing wonderfully fashionable large silver rings at times with large semi precious stones and elaborate designs, and I thought, surely there is a way!

As for shrinkage, I found the "finger nail" rule to be most helpful :)) Tell yourself it would look out of proportion if it is larger than your finger nail :geek: :mrgreen: (I actually really do think so!) And that if 3 ct is large enough for the Queen of England, it is surely large enough for us :cheeky:

Thanks for your kind words and feel free to drop the link to your new thread here. And I will be sure to be on the lookout for it in the forum too around the 18th..! Can't wait! (I have never seen actual Transitional or OEC, only pictures)

anne_h

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Pretty!!

I agree, it would be a treat to have some macro shots, if you can manage it!

Anne

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Ohhhh, well done! But more pictures are requsite!

cheers--Sharon

baby nurse

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is beautiful... but dying for more pictures!

OldAndMine

Rough_Rock
Aaaw.... Thanks everyone for saying such nice things about such *BLURRY* pictures :bigsmile:

Until I get myself sorted with pics, let me try to describe the ring.

From a far, the ring looks like it has a round stone with tapered band. On closer inspection, the stone is not completely round, typical of OMC. The octagonal bezel around it frames the stone and helps it obtain a perfectly round outline. Inside this octagonal bezel is another bezel around the stone's girdle, with two tiny "dots" in each of the corners, each of which I think is some kind of "claw" holding the stone in (if that make sense). Both layers of bezel are milgrained. The gallery is pierced, together with similar design treatment on the sides from the bezel around the girdle down stopping half way towards the bottom, they create an overall filigree look around the framed stone. But from afar and from the front, you can only see a delicate tapered patterned platinum coming out from a round stone. The band is really thin, only about 1 mm I think. This is following the original design, which is very delicate. It still amazes me that I can't feel the ring at all when I wear it. This gave me the occasional panic attack when for a split second I thought I might have lost the ring when I could not feel it around my finger ::)

Anyways. Thanks for dropping by with your comments and kind words :wavey: I will keep trying :read: to get a proper close up pic!

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
Beautiful ring!!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results