shape
carat
color
clarity

Land Rover - Vehicle Help!

P

PierreBear

Hello! This community has been so knowledgeable beyond just stones and settings so thought I would throw out the question here. Been a Volvo owner and owed and enjoyed 4 different models within the family. However, started to consider Land Rover as it's the only SUV I've seen where the seats fully fold down like a mini-van. Has anyone owned one that can discuss the pros/cons? Heard that these vehicles aren't very reliable and is very costly to fix but maybe that is an old stigma to push past? We are considering an old Discovery model as a daily city commuter but also to be able to sleep in the car when we go camping as we've done before with mini-vans (nor RV people yet or want to go deep with a full out van conversion). Appreciate the thoughts and thanks in advance!

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi @PierreBear, we’ve had 2 Land Rover Discoveries in the past. You’re right in thinking they’re very expensive to maintain, also the tyres, because they’re large, don’t last that long either. The LR dealer told me 10,000 miles, and was surprised that we’d got 17,000 miles out of them.

The original ones (I’m talking early ‘90’s) had problems with the transfer gear box leaking, but the one we had after that, we didn’t have any problems with mechanically.

I don’t know anything about the new ones, other than I doubt they’ve got any cheaper to maintain!

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I second @Austin the tyres. You'll wear through heaps of them due to the weight. But such great cars!

doberman

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Not sure if this is helpful, but anyway..I have a Range Rover Sport, made by Land Rover, it's my 3rd one. My first lasted for 9myears before the engine needed a big job, so I turned it in and got a new one. My second Sport never had a problem, totally reliable, and so far the one I'm driving now has no issues.

It can be expensive to have normal maintenance work done on these cars, but at least they always treat you very well and give you loaner Rovers to drive while your car is in the shop.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results