shape
carat
color
clarity

Lancet retracts study linking autism to vaccines

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
http://www.cnn.com/2010/HEALTH/02/02/lancet.retraction.autism/index.html?hpt=T2

(CNN) -- The medical journal The Lancet on Tuesday retracted a controversial 1998 paper that linked the measles, mumps and rubella (MMR) vaccine to autism.

The 12-year-old study linked autism with the MMR vaccine. The research subsequently had been discredited.

Last week, the study''s lead author, Dr. Andrew Wakefield, was found to have acted unethically in conducting the research.

The General Medical Council, which oversees doctors in Britain, said that "there was a biased selection of patients in The Lancet paper" and that his "conduct in this regard was dishonest and irresponsible."

The panel found that Wakefield subjected some children in the study to various invasive medical procedures such as colonoscopies and MRI scans. He also paid children for blood samples for research purposes at his son''s birthday party, an act that "showed a callous disregard" for the "distress and pain" of the children, the panel said.

Following the council''s findings last week, The Lancet retracted the study and released this statement.

"It has become clear that several elements of the 1998 paper by Wakefield et al. are incorrect, contrary to the findings of an earlier investigation. In particular, the claims in the original paper that children were ''consecutively referred'' and that investigations were ''approved'' by the local ethics committee have been proven to be false. Therefore we fully retract this paper from the published record."

Has autism touched your life? Share your stories, thoughts on vaccination study
Dr. Andrew Wakefield was found to have acted unethically in conducting autism research.
Dr. Andrew Wakefield was found to have acted unethically in conducting autism research.

Since its publication, Wakefield''s study has attracted many critics, who argued that the work had been so flawed it should not be regarded as scientific.

Wakefield theorized that the measles vaccine caused gastrointestinal problems, and that those GI problems led to autism. In his view, the virus used in the vaccine grew in the intestinal tract, leading the bowel to become porous because of inflammation. Then material seeped from the bowel into the blood, Wakefield''s theory said, affecting the nervous system and causing autism.

But later research discredited this theory.

A September 2008 study replicated key parts of Wakefield''s original paper and found no evidence that the vaccine had a connection to either autism or GI disorders. The study, conducted at Columbia University, Massachusetts General Hospital and the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, also found no relationship between the timing of the vaccine and children getting GI disorders or autism.

The Wakefield study also became part of the evidence that parents cited who did not vaccinate their children.

"The story became credible because it was published in The Lancet," Alison Singer, president of the Autism Science Foundation, said Tuesday. "It was in The Lancet, and we really rely on these medical journals."

Singer, the mother of a child with autism, added, "That study did a lot of harm. People became afraid of vaccinations -- this is the Wakefield legacy -- this unscientifically grounded fear of vaccinations that result in children dying from vaccine preventable diseases."

Retractions are rare in medical journals and usually occur as a result of fraud or plagiarism, said Marcia Angell, a former editor of The New England Journal of Medicine.

"It is a major event when there is a retraction like this," she said. "It sounds like there was a misleading design of the study ... patients not randomly chosen. There were ethical violations."

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Can''t say I am surprised.

janinegirly

Ideal_Rock
Not surprised either but reassuring since going for MMR this Friday.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/2/2010 1:55:23 PM
Author: neatfreak
Me neither.

meresal

Ideal_Rock
I''m actually very glad to see that they are discrediting this publically.

Thanks for posting HH.

Since becoming pregnant, I have had the same friend try and ask me very personal questions about what we plan to do regarding vaccines and autism scares. She is a behavioral studies major getting her masters right now, and she is very accusatory when she talks to me about it. I am so glad that these conversations are going to be coming to an end.

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
I wonder how many children weren''t vaccinated because of that so called research.

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
Many children weren''t vaccinated, I''m sure. See the problem is that one person reads a study (which in this case, to their credit, was in a scholarly journal) and maybe does a little more research and starts talking about how bad that thing is and then the chain reaction starts and it gets blown out of proportion. Then other parents hear it and immediately think it''s the gospel truth and act according to their feelings, based on possibly flawed and second-hand information.

Our system for conducting and publishing scientific research is far from perfect. I''m thrilled that the Lancet, which a a very highly regarded scholarly journal is publicly admitting it messed up. I mean, they had to, their credibility was on the line, but I think it''s still a good move.

princesss

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/2/2010 3:21:58 PM
Author: Hudson_Hawk
Many children weren''t vaccinated, I''m sure. See the problem is that one person reads a study (which in this case, to their credit, was in a scholarly journal) and maybe does a little more research and starts talking about how bad that thing is and then the chain reaction starts and it gets blown out of proportion. Then other parents hear it and immediately think it''s the gospel truth and act according to their feelings, based on possibly flawed and second-hand information.

Our system for conducting and publishing scientific research is far from perfect. I''m thrilled that the Lancet, which a a very highly regarded scholarly journal is publicly admitting it messed up. I mean, they had to, their credibility was on the line, but I think it''s still a good move.
I''m especially glad it highlighted issues with ethics and methodology - it makes it clear that this guy had an agenda he wanted to push at all costs, and was going to find information to back his claim, not look at data objectively.

One of my friends was made to feel bad about her stance on vaccs, and it makes me happy to see that the study is finally being discredited.

MustangGal

Ideal_Rock
Good to know. I was a tiny bit concerned since we go for the MMR in 2 weeks, but wasn''t planning to skip it. Now I feel a bit better about that decision.

kama_s

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Can't say I am surprised.
++

ETA: This should be added to that old vaccination thread
2.gif

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
How interesting!
2.gif

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/2/2010 3:42:41 PM
Author: kama_s

++

2.gif

Not sure it''s a good idea to resurrect that thread...bad juju.

purrfectpear

Ideal_Rock
Colonoscopys on little kids
32.gif

I wasn''t exactly looking forward to my first one when I was 54 (I slept through the whole thing - who knew?). I can''t imagine putting a kiddo through it.
38.gif

Porridge

Ideal_Rock
Add me to the list of unsurprised people!

Also wondering what took so long.

tlh

Ideal_Rock
thank you for posting this!

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
I had to have one at 25, it was traumatizing to say the least. Thank god they were piggy-backing it onto an upper GI and they knocked me out for both!

Hopefully I escaped an unnecessary gynecological exam, but who knows, one of the cute residents did wink at me in the recovery room...

elrohwen

Ideal_Rock
I just hope the retraction gets as much publicity as the original study. A lot of damage has already been done by this "research".

elrohwen

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/2/2010 2:50:52 PM
Author: meresal
Since becoming pregnant, I have had the same friend try and ask me very personal questions about what we plan to do regarding vaccines and autism scares. She is a behavioral studies major getting her masters right now, and she is very accusatory when she talks to me about it. I am so glad that these conversations are going to be coming to an end.
Really? If she actually believes in the vaccine-autism link and her school fuels that belief, she's clearly not in a very good program. My dad has been involved with autism research for the last 20 years and nobody who is respectable in the field actually gives that theory any credit.

vespergirl

Ideal_Rock
I wonder what Jenny McCarthy''s going to do with her career now
emotion-18.gif

Seriously, though, it is a relief to read this. I staggered my son''s vaccinations (as is recommended by Dr. Sears), but he had them all by the age of 20 months. I was freaked out about the MMR vaccine, though, and I''m glad now to see that there was no merit behind the hysteria.

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/2/2010 5:21:49 PM
Author: vespergirl
I wonder what Jenny McCarthy''s going to do with her career now
emotion-18.gif

Seriously, though, it is a relief to read this. I staggered my son''s vaccinations (as is recommended by Dr. Sears), but he had them all by the age of 20 months. I was freaked out about the MMR vaccine, though, and I''m glad now to see that there was no merit behind the hysteria.

Jenny McCarthy is an inspiration! Seriously, I wouldn''t have a name for my CM if it weren''t for her! (snail trail)

I kid, I kid...

icekid

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/2/2010 3:42:41 PM
Author: kama_s

++

2.gif

I agree! I hope this goes a LONG way to stopping the spread of dangerous misinformation.

meresal

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/2/2010 5:19:53 PM
Author: elrohwen

Really? If she actually believes in the vaccine-autism link and her school fuels that belief, she's clearly not in a very good program. My dad has been involved with autism research for the last 20 years and nobody who is respectable in the field actually gives that theory any credit.
She is actually VERY argessive about lots of things that involve children, which she has none of. (Ex. The
14.gif
face she gave me when she asked if I was going to BF, and I replied Yes. She then quoted me a study that "proved" that intelligence wasn't linked to breast feeding... as if that was the only reason I would be doing it.)

She has brought up Autism on 3 different occassions with me, and it makes me very uncomfortable. I tell her my answer, and it is immediately followed by her quoting some "study". I won't share my entire views on Autism, but I tend to believe that the children who are obviously suffering from this are being overshadowed by the millions that aren't, but who's parents are treating them for it anyway, because of these stupid "studies".

She is of the camp that since the "Why?" can't be proven, she thinks that every study deserves to be defended, and I am the COMPLETE opposite.

I agree with a PP that I hope this gets as much media as the initial study did.

ETA: I don't know anyone with a Autistic child specifically, but I would love for a mom who has a child that suffers from severe Autism to write a book ABOUT Jenny McCarthey's book. I'm sure they love being told that a better "Diet" can cure thier child.
20.gif

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock

Really? If she actually believes in the vaccine-autism link and her school fuels that belief, she''s clearly not in a very good program. My dad has been involved with autism research for the last 20 years and nobody who is respectable in the field actually gives that theory any credit.

Agreed. I was just talking to my husband''s coworker''s wife (follow that?) who has worked her whole life in autism research and practice. She said that she can spot an autistic child at a video of a *first* birthday party. She said it is that apparent to someone familiar with it, but that children don''t get diagnosed until later because parents don''t know what to look for. So she in particular really thinks the parents who saw "the light go out of their eyes" or whatever when they get their 2.5 year vacs to be quite laughable.

I know that for parents with autistic children it must be heartbreaking to not understand the why behind it, and to want to grasp at anything that comes their way as an explanation, but I am just so frustrated at the number of children that have gone unvaccinated because of their scare tactics and unsupported claims.
29.gif

elrohwen

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/2/2010 6:45:21 PM

Really? If she actually believes in the vaccine-autism link and her school fuels that belief, she''s clearly not in a very good program. My dad has been involved with autism research for the last 20 years and nobody who is respectable in the field actually gives that theory any credit.

Agreed. I was just talking to my husband''s coworker''s wife (follow that?) who has worked her whole life in autism research and practice. She said that she can spot an autistic child at a video of a *first* birthday party. She said it is that apparent to someone familiar with it, but that children don''t get diagnosed until later because parents don''t know what to look for. So she in particular really thinks the parents who saw ''the light go out of their eyes'' or whatever when they get their 2.5 year vacs to be quite laughable.

I know that for parents with autistic children it must be heartbreaking to not understand the why behind it, and to want to grasp at anything that comes their way as an explanation, but I am just so frustrated at the number of children that have gone unvaccinated because of their scare tactics and unsupported claims.
29.gif
My parents have said the same thing - the signs are apparent very early on, but it usually takes a trained professional to notice it. Your regular pediatrician probably won''t notice until much later.

There are plenty of diseases that can''t be traced back to one specific cause, a diet, the environment, whatever, so it boggles my mind that some parents of autistic kids are so certain that this particular disease must be caused by outside factors rather than genetics, chance, etc. I guess it''s because diagnosis has become much more common, but that''s really because most of these kids were classed as retarded until recently. The diagnosis of ADHD has become much more common, but you don''t hear parents blaming that on vaccines or diet.

elrohwen

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/2/2010 6:38:07 PM
She is actually VERY argessive about lots of things that involve children, which she has none of. (Ex. The
14.gif
face she gave me when she asked if I was going to BF, and I replied Yes. She then quoted me a study that ''proved'' that intelligence wasn''t linked to breast feeding... as if that was the only reason I would be doing it.)

She has brought up Autism on 3 different occassions with me, and it makes me very uncomfortable. I tell her my answer, and it is immediately followed by her quoting some ''study''. I won''t share my entire views on Autism, but I tend to believe that the children who are obviously suffering from this are being overshadowed by the millions that aren''t, but who''s parents are treating them for it anyway, because of these stupid ''studies''.

She is of the camp that since the ''Why?'' can''t be proven, she thinks that every study deserves to be defended, and I am the COMPLETE opposite.

I agree with a PP that I hope this gets as much media as the initial study did.

ETA: I don''t know anyone with a Autistic child specifically, but I would love for a mom who has a child that suffers from severe Autism to write a book ABOUT Jenny McCarthey''s book. I''m sure they love being told that a better ''Diet'' can cure thier child.
20.gif
Wow, just wait til she has kids of her own. I imagine her views will soften a bit. Still surprising that she''s going for her masters - her belief in unproven studies is something undergrads tend to think until some nice professor beats it out of them
2.gif
I would think by masters level she''d be a better critical thinker.

Oh, and I was that PP you mentioned
3.gif
It''s too bad people believe the first thing they hear. I imagine many moms won''t be swayed just because the study has been retracted.
14.gif

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
I saw this today at work and I printed it and was walking around and showing it to everyone and they thought I was crazy for being so excited over this. I had to explain the significance of this article to the guys who actually give the shots.

I knew it was a bad study, but am so happy it got retracted. Especially after reading about some of those crazy methods used to get data. I can''t believe the author got published in the first place with the things he was doing!

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/2/2010 6:45:21 PM

Agreed. I was just talking to my husband's coworker's wife (follow that?) who has worked her whole life in autism research and practice. She said that she can spot an autistic child at a video of a *first* birthday party. She said it is that apparent to someone familiar with it, but that children don't get diagnosed until later because parents don't know what to look for. So she in particular really thinks the parents who saw 'the light go out of their eyes' or whatever when they get their 2.5 year vacs to be quite laughable.

29.gif

Autism can be detected at a young age, but there are two barriers to doing so. One is that you have to have a physician who is looking for it, and you need to have a parent who is willing to accept the problem. Parent denial has been one of my biggest barriers to making an early diagnosis. I recently had a parent refuse an evaluation on a 2 year old with a abnormal autism screen (I formally screen all kids at 18 and 24 months). It is frustrating because the most effective treatment is early intervention (meaning under the age of three). I think that the immunization/autism argument has put all the other really important issues on the backburner. I hope this retraction makes room for a more broad discussion on ways to train health care professionals to be proactive about detecting autism early and teaching parents about the importance of early treatment.

sparklyheart

Brilliant_Rock
Isn''t it interesting how people will change their entire way of thinking based on one study?

Thanks for posting this HH.

mia1181

Brilliant_Rock
I work with kids with Autism and I have a few parents who wholeheartedly believe it was the vaccinations that caused it.

But unfortunately it's not going to be easy to undo the damage caused by this study. I'm a member of a huge Autism forum and even with the new information, the debate rages on. It's like politics, people hold strong to their beliefs. I was so shocked to see parents defending this guy as "a good man" and "so what if he used his son's birthday party to pay kids to give blood, what's wrong with that?" It is unbelievable to me that these people claim to be advocating for the children but see nothing wrong with this man's unethical practices.
38.gif

My sister read Jenny Mcarthy's books and is a total believer of the supposed link. I told her about this today and she rambled something about drug company conspiracies.
20.gif

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/2/2010 3:05:00 PM
Author: Maisie
I wonder how many children weren''t vaccinated because of that so called research.
Here in London, enormous numbers are not vaccinated and kids are dying of measles - in my borough we''ve had measles epidemics every year for the last 5 years.

There are also lots of university students getting Mumps at the moment due to not having had the MMR - mumps can cause sterility in young men.

Dr Wakefield should be struck off for the damage he has caused.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results