shape
carat
color
clarity

Lady with Ermine

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Diamond Explorer

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Hey Everyone,

I came across this great Renaissance masterpiece, and wanted to post it for you animal lovers out there. I wonder if there are any ermine or ferret lovers on Pricescope. Anyone have any funny ferret stories?
1.gif
3.gif

Attachments

• ermine.jpg
    43 bytes · Views: 99

Diamond Explorer

Shiny_Rock
Trade
There it goes. I guess the practice of keeping fine ferrets dates very far back.

ferret2222.jpg

LaraOnline

Ideal_Rock
Hmm, they are popular as pets in the UK, are they not? My husband had to treat a lot of them when he was working over there.

PS I've always liked that painting...

Diamond Explorer

Shiny_Rock
Trade
The artwork is beautiful. DaVinci painted the lady with such an elegance and grace.

LaraOnline

Ideal_Rock
The ferret looks so smart in that painting... perhaps smarter than the lady holding him... like he''s a supernatural friend...

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
One of my favourite Leonardo da Vinci paintings - I love it so much I actually own a fake of it!

I also ADORE ferrets. I tried to convince DH to get one instead of the hedgehogs as they are such fun. I have friends with them. They are complete nightmares though and you have to ferret-proof your house in a major way: one of my friends went out to work and forgot to shut the bathroom door - ferret found the 18 pack of loo roll... it looked like it had been snowing inside the house by the time he got home!

They are quite good for people with cat/dog allergies and are pretty cuddly although the babies are a bit nippy.

We will get one if our daughter ever gets to the begging for a car/dog stage as a fun alternative. They never really grow up and love toys and walks.

They are animals to get a lot of information on before owning one - and probably borrow one for a weekend before committing as they are seriously hard work at times. The females need medical attention when they go into oestrus or they can actually die. Both genders also smell 'ferrety' which is not the most attractive scent - even if they have had the glands removed they still smell, just not as much!

Oh, and I'm in the UK... they are pretty popular over here!

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ferrets always make me think of old men in flat caps with bicycle clips on their trouser bottoms to stop their ferret escaping.
9.gif

vespergirl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/14/2009 11:10:43 PM
Author:Diamond Explorer
Hey Everyone,

I came across this great Renaissance masterpiece, and wanted to post it for you animal lovers out there. I wonder if there are any ermine or ferret lovers on Pricescope. Anyone have any funny ferret stories?
1.gif
3.gif
Do you know the title of the painting, or who is portrayed in the portrait? I remember learning in my art history classes that animals in painting were often there for symbolic reasons. For example, in may Dutch paintings from the Renaissance period, dogs were added to symbolize loyalty. I would assume that an ermine would symbolize royalty. Beautiful painting ...

Diamond Explorer

Shiny_Rock
Trade

Here is the Lady with an Ermine Wikipedia article.

The painting was of Lodovico il Moro's mistress, One of Leonardo daVinci's employers. The painting had a very interesting history, and was stolen by the Nazi's during WWII before being returned to the Polish royal museum after the war.

Diamond Explorer

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Thought I would a add a picture of the cute furballs.

2ferrets.jpg

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
* raises hand*

I LOVE little ferrets Jonathan, in fact I hope to get some one day!!

Diamond Explorer

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Date: 4/16/2009 6:06:02 AM
Author: Lorelei
* raises hand*

Watch out though, they are mischievous little guys. Always trying to steal stuff and hide it away somewhere.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/16/2009 6:10:09 AM
Author: Diamond Explorer

Date: 4/16/2009 6:06:02 AM
* raises hand*

Watch out though, they are mischievous little guys. Always trying to steal stuff and hide it away under the bed.
11.gif
I would be squealing with adoration!!!
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif
I take it you have house ferrets???
3.gif

Diamond Explorer

Shiny_Rock
Trade
I have one, Jerry the ferret. My sister says he must have taken the short bus, because he is always doing something weird. I think he is perfectly intelligent as far as ferrets go. He mostly just explores things and and tries to get where he is not supposed to be, perfectly logical ferret behavior if you ask me.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/16/2009 6:23:13 AM
I have one, Jerry the ferret. My sister says he must have taken the short bus, because he is always doing something weird. I think he is perfectly intelligent as far as ferrets go. He mostly just explores things and and tries to get where he is not supposed to be, perfectly logical ferret behavior if you ask me.
LOL!!! He sounds wonderful! What colour is he?

Diamond Explorer

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Date: 4/16/2009 6:25:30 AM
Date: 4/16/2009 6:23:13 AM

LOL!!! He sounds wonderful! What colour is he?

He has a silver coat with cinnamon/tan colored guard hairs. They have really soft fur, if only they would stop squirming for long enough for you to appreciate it.

Deelight

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/16/2009 5:43:13 AM
Thought I would a add a picture of the cute furballs.
2ferrets.jpg

OMG I want
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif

KatyWI

Brilliant_Rock
When I was a kid, my diving coach had two ferrets named Bonnie and Clyde.

The best days were the ones when he would bring them to the pool, walk them to the end of the diving board, and then push it down hard, so the board would throw them into the pool. They''d swim to the side and run right back over to the board, hahaha! They totally loved it, it was the strangest and most awesome thing I''d ever seen.
9.gif

akmiss

Brilliant_Rock
My dear older brother had bought me a ferret when I was about ten. She was brown and cute and her name was Rosie (aka, Ferratuski.) She went a little nuts after about five years and just disappeared. I always imagined her living out in the wild but who knows what happened. She was a sweetie
1.gif

Diamond Explorer

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Date: 4/16/2009 8:36:18 AM
Author: KatyWI
When I was a kid, my diving coach had two ferrets named Bonnie and Clyde.

The best days were the ones when he would bring them to the pool, walk them to the end of the diving board, and then push it down hard, so the board would throw them into the pool. They''d swim to the side and run right back over to the board, hahaha! They totally loved it, it was the strangest and most awesome thing I''d ever seen.
9.gif

lol i can really imagine it. Funny animals, they are always coming back for more.

akmiss- it sounds like you had some really sweet memories of Ferratuski.

I just loaded Jerry up with litter today, It was awesome going to the pet store and checking out the nice animals. I hate to say it but even the little $2 dollar mice looked cute. But rodents and Jerry dont mix. When I was younger, and we had our first ferret, Fred (the lady ferret). We Mistakenly put them in the same room together when we had company over one year for Christmas and had to clear the house. Fred broke into the gerbils cage and mercylessly killed our two innocent gerbils, Thor and Caesar. Fred didn''t eat them or anything, just killed them with a bite to the neck and hid their poor little corpses under the bed.
14.gif

That event did however teach me the valuable lesson that pet rodents and ferrets should never go together. I guess also you can take away that a loose ferret is excellent to have, if you happen to have a rodent problem.

Go ferrets!

36.gif
36.gif
36.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results