shape
carat
color
clarity

Ladies With GD

Cluless

Brilliant_Rock
Can I please bother you for recipes, suggestions anything that's working or worked for you. my daughter is 15 weeks along and has been diagnosed with GD she's having the hardest time coming up with breakfast ideas, bread seems to be a Huge No, No it really spikes her sugar she's tried the weight watchers bread and multigrain to no avail. If you ladies care to share it would be greatly appreciated xo

baby monster

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Eggs in all variations and unsweetened dairy like yogurt, cottage or ricotta cheeses. If you have a good library nearby, I'd suggest checking out out a few diabetic cookbooks to get recipe ideas.

Cluless

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you babymonster, yeah the eggs is what prompted this post she's already sick of eggs, I'll tell her to go check out the library.

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't know much about GD other than what I've read here on PS, but I can't eat wheat so have had to get creative with breakfast. I got sick of anything egg (fried, scrambled, omelets, etc) and had to figure it out or keep eating eggs...

Soups -- seriously. Can do all sorts of protein/veggie things this way. Make a big batch on the weekend!

Salads -- easy to use beans, meats, cheeses, nuts, etc for protein. Easy to have assortment of stuff on hand and swap it up enough each day to not get boring.

Eggs -- play around with different veggies and cheeses to make tolerable. I love veggies in the scrambled eggs with a bit of cheese (gouda, parmesan, asiago, manchego, mmmmmm!) and slices of a good heirloom tomato.

Cluless

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you for the suggestions toopatient I'll pass them along to her, she'll have to get creative lol I really do appreciate this, please keep the suggestions coming ladies.

tara3056

Shiny_Rock
I don't / didn't have GD, but I have experience with diabetic family members. Here's one good bfast idea:

Use Fage Total (not the 2% or 0% reduced fat versions!) Greek yogurt, plain (unsweetened), and experiment with adding some real vanilla extract and sugar. Stir really well. Bakers sugar is finer and dissolves easily. (From my experience, you can use sugar in moderation, especially when paired with protein and fat that will make it digest slower. Carbs are usually much higher GI than white sugar!)

Anyway, take your self-sweetened vanilla Fage and add lots of berries and possibly some chopped pecans or a little granola if you can find one that isn't too sweet and overly processed. Nuts are good for blood sugar and slow-burn energy. This parfait makes for a super-delicious and filling breakfast or even dessert.

It's important to use the Fage Total because Greek yogurt has much more protein than normal yogurts and some healthy fat too. You wouldn't believe how much sugar Yoplait and the like have, and without the protein and fat to help slow down its absorption.

urseberry

Brilliant_Rock
I have no experience with gestational diabetes and quickly skimmed some recommendations that said to cut down on sugar and carbs. That made me think that nuts might make a nice breakfast. Either a handful of nuts and dried fruit, or maybe a banana and a tablespoon of nut butter might be tasty and satisfying.

Cluless

Brilliant_Rock
tara that sounds delicious, we're going to have to check if we have fage here in Canada haven't seen it around guess other greek would have to do. Thank you for your suggestion

urseberry she loves nuts and banana with nut butter interesting idea thank you

coda72

Brilliant_Rock
I have GD, and while eggs do get boring for breakfast, they are a good source of protein. She should eat some protein when she first wakes up, so if it's not eggs, maybe switch it up with bacon or sausage every once in a while. I'm not a big breakfast food person, so I would go so far as to have chicken or beef when I wake up, but as long as you're consuming some protein that's good. As far as not consuming bread, I do eat the Sara Lee 45 calories multi-grain bread, but it sounds like she can't tolerate that first thing in the morning. I know I personally can't tolerate fruit the first thing in the morning, but maybe she has a better tolerance for it. I think she could also have oatmeal, but again she'll have to see if she can tolerate it without sending her blood sugar skyrocketing. Good luck to her, it is a tough diet, but it does get easier to manage over time. Plus for me it has kept the pregnancy weight gain low.

Cluless

Brilliant_Rock
Hi coda, thank you so much for your suggestions. Just this morning she joked that she's going to start eating steak for breakfast, unfortunately they've put her on insulin already she's finding it though. How far along are you? Good luck to you also.

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Cluless|1398884328|3663726 said:
Hi coda, thank you so much for your suggestions. Just this morning she joked that she's going to start eating steak for breakfast, unfortunately they've put her on insulin already she's finding it though. How far along are you? Good luck to you also.

I actually do have steak for breakfast sometimes. Not so bad as it sounds and is a great source of protein. I'll sometimes cook up extra steak for dinner so I can use it for breakfast too.

Great with eggs or on a salad.

I have trouble with fruit in the morning. It leaves me feeling shaky soon after and starving before lunch. I have to have it with protein to make it work.
Be careful with the Greek yogurts as they can have a lot of sugar too.

Some cream cheeses don't have much/any sugar and have lots of protein.

Cluless

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you for your continued advice here toopatient I greatly appreciate it. Looks like the steak is going to be a no go she had some for dinner tonight and couldn't tolerate the taste or texture ( she was a steak person before becoming pregnant and hated anything pork, now she enjoys the pork).

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Cluless|1398918477|3664124 said:
Thank you for your continued advice here toopatient I greatly appreciate it. Looks like the steak is going to be a no go she had some for dinner tonight and couldn't tolerate the taste or texture ( she was a steak person before becoming pregnant and hated anything pork, now she enjoys the pork).

Aw...
That would be hard for a steak person!

Okay...

Ham on salad or with eggs (ham & cheese with veggies)

Breakfast sausages --- pork, chicken, turkey options links or patties depending on what tastes good to her (Whole Foods carries a great turkey & apple sausage that I enjoy)

bacon on salads or turkey bacon on salads -- or with eggs & veggies

smoked salmon? I'll sometimes have a little bit of this so that the sugar in the Greek yogurt doesn't bug me

oatmeal -- be careful as the packet stuff can be full of sugars and I'm not sure how oats do for diabetic issues. I like to use steel cut oats made with unsweetened almond milk with a handful of nuts & dried fruit tossed in. (easy to do in crockpot overnight or cook ahead and reheat -- takes about 45 minutes to cook so plan ahead if you do in morning)

Cut a banana in half length-wise. Put a bit of peanut butter on top and then toasted pecans :lickout:

swingirl

Ideal_Rock
Gestational Diabetes. I figured out what GD is.

Cluless

Brilliant_Rock
Those are great suggestions too patient I'll pass them along thank you!

swingirl sorry, I should have thought about the abbreviation took me a while also in the beginning to figure it out. Don't know if it's possible to change the title now to make it easier?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results